Buddhisms similary to Christianity.

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:25 am
I do have a life which does not take place online. If Krumple responds, i will accord what he writes the consideration it deserves, as my experience is that he debates honestly and honorably, even if i sometimes think he is mistaken. However, igm needn't bother, as it is increasingly clear that he has nothing to write worth reading, and just wants to engage in a pissing contest.
igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:46 am
@Setanta,
I disagree. I could point to your opening insult. But my pity and your delusion can be left there... your sidetracks have fogged the issue as usual.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@igm,
Quote:
I could point to your opening insult.

Liar. As for this sidetrack bullshit, nothing obliged you to jump in, you made that choice yourself. This is why i say you have nothing to write worth reading.
igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 02:29 pm
@Setanta,
igm wrote:

I could point to your opening insult.

Setanta wrote:

Liar...

I am not a liar you are mistaken or deluded. You called my honesty into question for no good reason. This is in chronological order:

Here is your opening insult:

Setanta wrote:

I see no point in debating that, given that it is neither the topic of the thread, nor something about which i believe you can be honest.

Later thread (i.e next thread):
igm wrote:

So Setanta do you want to debate that: In a Non-Superficial Way Buddhism is Similar to Christianity?

Setanta wrote:

I see no point in debating that, given that it is neither the topic of the thread, nor something about which i believe you can be honest.

igm wrote:

I disagree… but I’m not surprised by your reply… it shows all your essential qualities and your skill in debate.

I'd say quite a reasonable response on my part after your initial slander.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 03:35 pm
@Setanta,
See post above for reply.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 03:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As for this sidetrack bullshit, nothing obliged you to jump in, you made that choice yourself. This is why i say you have nothing to write worth reading.

I jumped in, as you put it, because you kept slandering me in your responses to Krumple. I just tried to set the record straight not interrupt your debate with Krumple.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I come from a fundamentalist Christian background. I am very familiar with the Christian world view. I never learned much about Buddhism, but I have been reading with some interest the comments about this religion here.

What strikes me is the strong similarity between Buddhism and fundamentalist Christianity (once you get past the trappings).

They both (according to posts here) deal with a truth. There are people who have the truth. There are people who don't have the truth. There is the idea of straying from the truth which causes suffering. And there is the idea that through sacrifice and meditation you can reach peace.

Religion is uniquely human. It reflects human nature and addresses human needs. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they are really quite similar. But somehow I find it amusing.

Later (halfway down page 2):

maxdancona wrote:

... I am an atheist. I come from a Christian background as I said in my first post but my intellectual journey has led me away from this particular brand of spiritual truth.

I started this thread because of a few recent posts here claiming that Buddhism offers a better, truer spiritual truth than the other religions…

Any time you gain a spiritual truth it comes at the cost of reason.

I reject Buddhism for the same reason I reject the other religions.

But I find these posts saying "My Spiritual truth is better than all the other Spiritual truths" to be a bit amusing. And we have now had these types of posts from Buddhists as well as Christians and Muslims. From my perspective, there isn't much substantive difference.

Is Buddhism similar to Christianity - a topic by Max:

The subtext (in my opinion) of what Max was getting at, seems to me to be a need for Max to have Buddhism attacked by some atheists on this site in a similar way, to the way fundamentalist Christianity is attacked by some atheists on this site. The reason: because some people who post on this site allegedly believe that Buddhism is superior to fundamentalist Christianity. If Max could get those atheists to see Buddhism as similar to Christianity then attacks by some atheists would highlight how Buddhism was not superior but worthy of similar attacks by some atheists; attacks that were previously only aimed at fundamentalist Christians and Muslims.

One problem Max has is:

Is it possible to be both a Buddhist and a Christian? No
Is it possible to be a Christian and an atheist? No

Is it possible to be an atheist and a Buddhist? Yes
0 Replies