Faster than light?

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 06:58 pm
If us on earth, going around the sun, going around our galaxy, and the milky way is moving because of the universe expanding which all together is equal to roughly 2.7 million mph (depending where on earth you are) and you shine a flashlight in that direction wouldnt that mean for an observer looking at us from outside our galaxy would see all of us being shortened and time slowing down a lot based on relativity? or that light is traveling faster then its "speed limit". (i know what i wrote is kinda confusing)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Fido

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:02 pm
@papatrott,
What you get if you shine a light off an object moving quickly in the same direction is a shortening of the wave length commonly known as the doppler effect...
papatrott

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:18 pm
@Fido,
i know that did not answer my question at all
rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:53 pm
@papatrott,
The speed of light is always the same. Adding velocity to its source doesn't alter that.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 06:05 am
@papatrott,
papatrott wrote:

i know that did not answer my question at all
If you turn the question as I understand it around, then when we look out into space we do not see what is, but what was... Time is not slowed down in the process of reaching us, but it does get here late relative to our time... Read some physics... I don't understand much math and I find they usually explain things quite generally in English..
0 Replies