Running 20 miles a day?

roger

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:40 pm
@Ragman,
Maybe she didn't even realize she was doing it. I recall a certain unpaved woodland circuit that I used to do with an average speed of twelve miles per hour. Now that I think on it, I did that exactly twice, but 12 mph is what I clearly recall.
Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:02 pm
@roger,
you're telling us that you ran 12 mph as a runner? I doubt that! Though it's possible, something is likely wrong the way you're recalling the numbers. But if it is the case, then your name is in all the world record books.

If you did 12 mph as cyclist, that's a pretty casual recreational cycle ride. If you averaged 12 mph as a runner, you'd be in the world's elite status. The world record for a MARATHON is around 12.5 mph.

(26.22 miles / 2.1 hours - 12.48 mph)
I used to run quite a bit in my 30s and early 40s. Typical speed for a long run was 6.5 mph. Faster runners ran 8 mph for an hour or more.
roger

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:50 pm
@Ragman,
Bicycle, unpaved and off road.

Did you think I posted by way of bragging? I did not. I posted to give my personal experience as a confirmation of your own suggestion that she had possibly run 20 miles in a day on one or two occasions and tended to remember the greatest times.

I swear, I could be the most misunderstood poster on all able2know.com. I really wonder why I bother.
Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:58 pm
@roger,
sorry you feel misunderstood. I can easily relate.
However, I never thought you were bragging but I saw nothing about biking.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:58 pm
@roger,
You were perfectly clear, roger, unless one takes the last statement out of context.
Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Did you see a mention of biking? have I missed it?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:02 pm
@Ragman,
You have to go further back in the thread, ragman. Smile
Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
You are correct, Edgar. I'm sorry,

Roger, I hadn't seen your early mention of that biking reference.

However, please forgive me now for putting to fine a point on this. I thought the subject at hand was the effort it takes (and the likelihood) of that (or any serious runner) RUNNING 20 miles. A recreational bike ride of 12 mph off road in the woods is not even close to the effort of running 20 miles. Someone in average shape can bike 12 mph for an hour. Yes, I agree that you can lose track of how many miles you have transpired.

However, more importantly..Roger...please understand I didn't mean to offend you or put you off. I just never recalled your earlier comment.
0 Replies