Why do atheist try to convert Christians

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:44 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
So you just believe that Santa does not exist, but you admit the possibility? This is hilarious--you're a Santa agnostic. You should get together with Frank.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 03:33 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
no

you really aren't getting the fundamentals of the difference between belief and lack of belief

Well, then please explain it for me, I am willing to hear your aspect of it...

How is me saying, I do not believe Santa exists, not the same exact thing as me saying I have a belief, that I believe Santa is not....

X x Y = XY

-X x -Y Not Equal XY???
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 03:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
So you just believe that Santa does not exist, but you admit the possibility?

I do not need a rejection of a belief, to "prove to me" he does not exist... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes And even if I had a rejection, does not mean I think he is a possibility or not.... Exclamation

There is always a possibility, just as there is, in saying I do not believe Santa exists...

You must have a possibility he could, otherwise, there is no reason, for you to not believe, he does not exist.... 2 Cents

You might as well, believe he does...

But from our perspectives, We both, do not believe he exists...

It is the same thing....

I have a rejection of a belief as to whether Santa exists or not...

Says, you do not think here nor there about it...

It takes a belief, and a possibility, and an acceptance, or rejection of it...To believe something exists or does not exist...
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:01 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
There is no possibility that Santa exists as advertised in our culture. In fact, it's rather amusing, becauses some scientists apply the "Santa Claus hypothesis" as an object lesson in probabilty. So, leaving aside reindeer flight propulsion systems, elven sweat shops at the North Pole, where the money comes from for his operation, an examination of probability shows it's not possible. If, only for sake of argument, one specified that Santa could travel instantaneously from house to house, and only spent one second delivering the toys at each house, he could not service even a tiny fraction of all the houses in North America between sundown on Christmas Eve and sunrise on Christmas day. That would be fewer than 60,000 homes, and there are tens of millions of homes in North America.

No, Santa Claus is not possible. But then, you're an adherent of an imaginary friend superstition, so i can see why you would say anything is possible.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:05 am
By the way, one doesn't need to acknowledge a possibility that something exists to reject a belief. If someone comes to me and says there are weoqps, creatures which live under highway bridges and steal naughty boys and girls from their homes--i do not need to acknowledge the possibility to say "bullshit," and ignore the claim thereafter. You're just playing a simple-minded word game in a feeble attempt to make your central thesis (your imaginary friend superstition) more rhetorically defensible.

You lose.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:55 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
There is no possibility that Santa exists as advertised in our culture. In fact, it's rather amusing, becauses some scientists apply the "Santa Claus hypothesis" as an object lesson in probabilty. So, leaving aside reindeer flight propulsion systems, elven sweat shops at the North Pole, where the money comes from for his operation, an examination of probability shows it's not possible. If, only for sake of argument, one specified that Santa could travel instantaneously from house to house, and only spent one second delivering the toys at each house, he could not service even a tiny fraction of all the houses in North America between sundown on Christmas Eve and sunrise on Christmas day. That would be fewer than 60,000 homes, and there are tens of millions of homes in North America.

No, Santa Claus is not possible. But then, you're an adherent of an imaginary friend superstition, so i can see why you would say anything is possible.

Please direct this post directly to BillRM, as he seems to think there is a chance, because probability says so...

I said, I do not believe Santa exists...

Which is the same exact as saying I believe Santa does not exist...

In all, of what you posted, you seem to not, express an opinion about that, but rather give me facts as to how Santa is in fact, not real...

In which, I did not need a scientific analysis for me to accept the fact that Santa is not real...

And my opinion, had nothing to do with your scientific analysis about it...

Which means, I predetermined in my mind, if I thought he is real or not...And why...I formed a belief...About it/him....

And embrace my views, and opinions...

Just like you do about Gods...!!!

However, despite all this info you posted, it still does not destroy the fact, that in order to doubt something, you MUST be able to understand, that somehow in someway, it can, or others believe he does, or others say he does...etc...Others believe it/he can etc...

As it takes a belief, to believe, and it takes a belief, to deny....

You are the one, who said I must think he is possible...

And the answer to that, is yes, in order to believe, or deny something, there must be a reason as to why you are doing it...Or believe or deny something...

In this case, it is that at a young age, most, are taught there is a such thing...

So from speaking hypothetical's, you MUST believe something is, to believe it is, and you MUST believe something is not, to believe it is not....

You can not destroy that fact, with what you posted...

Whether it is possible, or impossible is irrelevant, the REASON why it is even discussed as possible/not possible, is because there is a REASON, as to why people believe it is possible/impossible...

That does not mean that people auto believe everything is possible...

It means you must believe one way or another about it, to even discuss whether it is possible/or not possible...

Your rejection of a belief, does not tell me that you think Santa Claus in scientifically impossible...

If you tell me, you believe he does not exist, or you do not believe he does exist, than that, in fact, DOES tell me, you think he is not possible....

A rejection of a belief, tells me, you are currently uncertain as to whether he actually does exist or does not exist...

As far as I know, people are not talking about living on a planet, 6 galaxies away right now...Why? because no one has a current belief either way, as to whether it is even possible or not...

Once they do, people will try to guesstimate, if it is even possible or not....

After, they have a belief, as to whether it can or can not happen...

Like you have done with your "scientific analysis" of Santa Claus....

And why should I take, what you say as factual anyways??
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If someone comes to me and says there are weoqps, creatures which live under highway bridges and steal naughty boys and girls from their homes--

They've successfully tracked you down.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:08 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
By the way, one doesn't need to acknowledge a possibility that something exists to reject a belief. If someone comes to me and says there are weoqps, creatures which live under highway bridges and steal naughty boys and girls from their homes--i do not need to acknowledge the possibility to say "bullshit," and ignore the claim thereafter. You're just playing a simple-minded word game in a feeble attempt to make your central thesis (your imaginary friend superstition) more rhetorically defensible.

You lose.

Not at all, By your scientific analysis, you DO have to do that! In order, to be logically consistent, and PURPORT, that you do not selectively use science to prove/disprove Gods, or anything else...Or that science, is solely used to get a better understanding of the nature of reality!!!

It is my opinion that someone does not...It is yours to try to prove if things do or do not exist....

I am the one "believing" things, and you are the one who is trying to "prove" things, remember??

Whether or not, you do not want to listen to every story someone tells, so that you do not have to test whether it is real or not, is not my problem....

The reason, why you feel this way, is because you "personally Believe" that the idea is so ridiculous you do not even need to test to see if it is real, The same thing with Gods....

But you find importance in scientific things such as cosmos...And string theories, And such...

But the bottom line, is you do not follow your own path on things, and are not consistent...If you were, you would be willing to test everything to verify everything....

But you do not, and others like you, do not...

You are selective, and that means there is a reason why you guys and girls are selective, and the reason is...It takes a belief, in order to be selective about something, to test to see if it is real or in fact, not real...

It is not my problem that you guys do not follow your own logic, and look to disprove a God...And deny you see he has relevance, and you look to "prove" scientific things, because it has relevance to you....

And you do not look to prove/disprove a Spaghetti monster, or the creatures you listed...Because in being personally selective about things (which takes a belief) you personally feel, that some things are so ridiculous, there is no such reason to test to see if it is real or not real....

And since you took the time to find scientific analysis of Santa, You might want to check out, to see if there is any data to support or destroy this notion of these monsters!!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:13 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
As far as I know, people are not talking about living on a planet, 6 galaxies away right now...Why? because no one has a current belief either way, as to whether it is even possible or not...

LOL try going to a book store or a library and look under the catalog science fiction.

Of course the rational people are far more honest then the religion nuts as we label such books fiction not facts as the bible is claimed to be.

Next go to the science section and look for books dealing with the search for intelligent aliens lives or books dealing with the probabilities of life off earth and then go to the wild physics section about finding possible means to bridge those distances in spite of the limit of light speed.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:26 am
@BillRM,
Since you are in a laughing mood, What did you think of Setanta's post of "proving" your math probabilities wrong, as it is not possible for Santa to exist, but yet, you do not accept this??

I sure as hell, have never heard ANYONE say anything about life/or living, 6 galaxies anyway...Not even you!

So it is not a common thing, when it is, people will have opinions about it...and people will be trying to "prove it"...

LOL???

What the Hell was that for??
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:42 am
@Setanta,
And furthermore, It is not my problem, that atheists have beliefs about everything else...And even believe there is no such thing as these crazy ass monsters you listed, nor a spaghetti monster or Santa...But logically believe they do not have a belief about Gods...

And think that that is a logically correct statement!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:45 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
In what ways does your God affect or manifest itself in nature? In EVERY way that nature manifests itself....by him...

Do you consider yourself a Christian, or a Deist?
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:48 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
The analysis is of probability. For you, science is just some boogy man, you really know no more about science than you do about atheists, which is to say, next to nothing. You're completely delusional, completely devoid of logic, with language skills nearly as bad as BillRM. I can't believe i'm wasting my time on you. I'm going to follow my own advice and cease to listen to you, because you won't listen to anyone else.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 10:08 am
@Setanta,
Thank You!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 10:09 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:

What is the relevance?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 11:15 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Quote:

What is the relevance?

To better understand your concept of God.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:12 pm
@rosborne979,
Didn't you just look at his avatar and take a wild guess?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Didn't you just look at his avatar and take a wild guess?

Ha Smile That was my original assessment. But then he said that his "God" isn't in conflict with the natural world. Yet the biblical God clearly is in conflict with the natural world. So I was hoping he would clarify his view, or rethink his answer.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:38 pm
@rosborne979,
Isn't that the difference between the Old and New Testaments? In the Old Testament God is a right bastard, but we get our own back on him in the New Testament, so it all works out.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 01:37 pm
Yeah, the christians always try to make that claim, but their own boy Jesus assures us that he supports the Law, the Law, as in the Old Testament. In the King James version, Matthew, Chapter Five, verse 17-18:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Then they always hem and haw about the Law being fulfilled, but their own scripture does not support the claim.