TO GET PROPERLY LAID

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:12 pm
@plainoldme,
freak out is the only zappa album i own, love it
plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:18 pm
@djjd62,
I always loved Frank. Saw him at Meadow Brook, north of Detroit, when he was touring with Flo and Eddie.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 03:42 am
Well, my little hens have begun to lay eggs. There are two who broke the ice and they were so proud. They were running around the paddock area announcing their accomplishments. They dont know that their accomplishments will wind up in a sammich or on a plate with some bacon.

Were going away for a trip and I suppose that all the chickies will be dumping eggs before we return.
hought youd like to know. Anybody wants fresh, free range, multicolored Auracauna eggs , itll cost ya one buck a dozen (7.95 S&H)
Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 04:29 am
I recently watched a bit on the evening news. It was on a farmer in ontario who until recently had a fairly good business raising specialty chickens, if fact, he is the only chicken farmer that raises a specific type of chicken in north america. His bird produce a feather prized by fly fishermen, alas the hairdressing nation has exploded his business, causing a shortage. His feathers are now used as a colourful hair extension and now, everyone want his feathers.
I see a future in rare long skinny feathered chickens. You might want to invest...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:11 pm
@farmerman,
A lot had happened since my last entry.

Nov21,011-(supplemental)
Chickens are laying eggs all over the place. I invested in several of these metal frame laying boxes, into which Ive placed some very nice tender sweet dried grass hay. SOme hens lay every third egg or so in the boxes but mostly they find some spot out of the way and semi hidded to lay their daily clutch. Its like a damn easter egg hunt each afternoon. SO far Ive managed to find them all, or so I think. These aggs are rather cool, they are a light blue and there are two chickens who are laying darker blue) eggs. Several eggs are a gray green and one hen lays light tan eggs. The eggs have quickly gone from teeny ova to these large sized ones with double yolks. Double yolks are usually a sign of overfeeding and maybe precursory to a prolapse. So Im going to lower their food rations and see that they just produce regular sized eggs with ni extra sized specimens.
There is one rooster, a handsome dude with a long recurved series of tailfeathers that are shiny iridescent blackish green. The auracauna males are very very proud and gentle birds. He is protective of his babes and I can find the latest egg spot by wherever he is standing in the afternoon. He is drawn to the cackle of one of his ladies whose just laid a fresh eggs. He'll stand guard for about 15 minutes and then walk with her a while, then he struts off to attend another of his ladies.
Weve named him "doc" after "Doc Halladay, aPhillies pitcher. (He does a great windup when he gets ready to crow. I think its something that only he picked up somewhere to make himself appear bigger than he is)

We are getting about dozen eggs a day now and the ladies are still breaking into the "henstration" routine. Its a poor performance really for 25 heans.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:07 pm
@farmerman,
I've put chickens on hold for now. too much effort and daily requirements.

thinking about raising a few goats, though.

got any ideas on what kind of goats is the best goats?

guessing I want to breed them a little. baby goats is awful cute...

(just realized this is the getting laid thread. I've no sexual intentions with the goats. honest injun)
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:14 pm
@Rockhead,
We tried goats once. Goats are waaay too smart for our farm. Theyd find the best way to get out and gather around the back door of the house. BUT, if you must, the pygmy goats seem docile and the Nubins also seem people friendly.
Our chickkens are pretty much free range all the time. THey wander all around and that slows traffic in front of our place cause people s=brake to watch the chickens kind of mill around. My neighbors have done the same and its had a positive effect on traffic speed.

I give my chickies about a big grain scoop of chicken chunkies each day and we have an all weather waterer for the sheep and the chickens to share. I have these watering tubs and an all wether filler float system that fills a 100 gal tub. I have two ciner blocks on the back side so the chickens can reach the tub without having to stand on the rim (and possibly **** into the water). Its like a big Serengheti watering hole where everybody respects their distances.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:17 pm
@farmerman,
my road is 55mph and paved.

lotsa trucks, should they venture that far.

fences won't hold goats?

I got barbed wire all around the perimeter, and a gate. used to be horseys here...
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:52 am
@Rockhead,
if you ever wanna test a fences ability to hold in whatever your raising, put a few goats in there. They will find and exploit the weak spots . If the fence sags, they will lean on it and create an opening. If the fence has the smallest break, they will find it.

Keeping your goats in a barn for a few months and then turning them out is a way to train them to stay put in a pasture. Inspect your fence.

0 Replies