TO GET PROPERLY LAID

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 02:51 pm
When they were very young, my chickens went ape when I caught crickets for them. They grew to think of me as some great guru. If I said, Come here, chickens, they came running. Once, I opened my truck door and called them that way and motioned my hand as they approached. Unquestioning little gals jumped right in there. I miss having chickens around.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Did you cross a state line with your chickens? HMMMMMMM?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The AMish will saw the upper beak of the chicken almost half off so they dont peck their neighbors to death.
This insterferes with theior foraging. YOU can keep the chickens from attacking each other by providing more space,
like letting them wander around your yard (They recognize their territory and stay put)
HORRIBLE! Sounds like gun control.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:32 pm
I would love to keep some chickens but, first, I want to keep bees and have for 25 years.

My plot is about 17,000 sq. ft. I think one hive and three chickens is just right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:34 pm
@farmerman,
Those hens had as much personality as many other pets I have had.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
hens arent as stupid as people think.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:46 pm
@farmerman,
Only thing I didn't like about them was, they had this need to try to get on my shoulders every chance they got. Cute, it was, but not a good idea.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
good thing they werent pigeons.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:52 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, I just remembered a woman, who got a colored Easter chick, back in '68. She couldn't get rid of it and so raised it in her Brooklyn apartment. She kept it a number of years in there. Mrs Little.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 06:20 pm
@farmerman,
I imagine that its too cold in Pa.
for chickens, unless u keep them warm inside
with a nice HDTV to keep them from getting bored.

David
Rockhead

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 06:57 pm
ok, got a burst of energy, and went out and cleared trees in the snail (snowy hail)

now I need a hot shower, but once I mow, and sweep out the henhouse, we could have poultry.

where does one acquire premium chicken starters?

we got a Atwoods, and I hear peeping coming from a horse tank with a light bulb, but I never really investigated it while picking up my welding supplies...
dadpad

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 07:41 pm
peackock's cry would drive you crazy too rockhead just like a rooster. Plus they like top roost in trees and will get quite high up.

My brother has aracuna. Very pretty eggs.

Mostly we have had crossbred rohde island reds. No idea really about what breed they were most like but crossbreads are tougher.
Years ago we had bantams. they were great for keeping the insects down but constantly dug mums garden plants out. She wasnt very enamoured with the bantams.
we dont have any chickens currently, not sure why, we are just kinda between batches
We only ever have 2 or 3 at once and confine them to a fenced yard about 8 m X 3 m. All our food scraps and yard trimmings go into the pen and we feed a small handfull of layer pellets once a day. Once or twice a year I turn the heap and put it through the mulcher.
The floor of the roosting house gets sawdust from a local mill once each year. we take the top layer of sawdust combined with chook manure out once every 12 months and add it to the compost heap then put a new layer down only needs to be an inch or so. Rice hulls or chaff/straw would probably work just as good.
Dogs seem to be more of a problem where chickens are concerned.

Rockhead

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:05 pm
@dadpad,
the dog has been warned...

and I don't know that they are gonna leave the chicken yard.

peacocks would be a next year thing if they happen.

eggs, I am paying for now...
dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:11 pm
@Rockhead,
I had a neighbor that had several peacocks, I killed him(my neighbor) and then I shot those ******* peacocks with a 12 gauge at 3 a.m. in the tree outside my bedroom window. ******* peacocks got no reason to live, NONE!
Rockhead

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:12 pm
@dyslexia,
what kinda tree was it?

and dave will wanna know all about the gun...
dadpad

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
what kinda tree was it?

I think it was a ham bush
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:17 pm
@Rockhead,
What country are you in? We deal with Murray McMurray Hatchery for bunches of chickens. (Since you dont call them "chooks" I assume that youre either in US or CAnada.

McMurray delivers to all AMericas (I think youd need to batch up with friends to get a minimum order of 15 chicks.). I used to split some orders with neighbors and wed get a batch of like 30 and go halvsies.

Home eggs is the best, flavorful and deeply colored yolks, not that insipid piss yellow color from the factory eggs.

When you get your chicks, get a big deep watering tub (we take one from out .of the farthest pasture where the sheep wont go till summer). You put a layer of sawdust on the bottom and clip a bright heat lamp on top. You can handle a big batch of chicks in such a tub. They will clump together and begin their social skills. You can handle em and that helps em learn to not fear people.

Both our dogs leave the chicken alone but every so often STasha likes to herd em around when she thinks Im not watching.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I imagine that its too cold in Pa.
for chickens, unless u keep them warm inside
with a nice HDTV to keep them from getting bored.

whatever dude.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

what kinda tree was it?

and dave will wanna know all about the gun...
weeping willow, 12 gauge Remington pump. 2 3/4 ", No 6 shot.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:24 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
peackock's cry would drive you crazy too rockhead just like a rooster.
I was in the Bronx Zoo a few years ago
when the Peacock escaped and went on a rampage.
0 Replies