Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
When we have stupid people voting [for] stupid people into our government, all is lost.

Well, duuuuuuuuhhhhh, CI.
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:30 am
How come it hasn't occurred to anyone [Smile] that the facilitator of the 30 years of abuse that the Egyptians have suffered thru is none other than the USA? Why is there this void wherein the US is not mentioned, at all, by anyone?

Read the signature line below.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:47 am
@JTT,
ci. does not know what "all is lost" means JT. It actually means that he is feeling a bit grumpy today and down in the mouth.
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:55 am
@spendius,
True, Spendi, but CI is hardly the only one. Dare I mention the H word again - Americans are pretty good at whining about how tough life is for them, often right after references to the latest country they have illegally invaded, and destroyed.

What is it with them?

No, really?
Irishk

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 11:17 am
@izzythepush,
A recent poll suggests 66% of Egyptians support making Sharia the basis of Egyptian law, but 83% say that Sharia should be 'adapted to modern times'.

Same poll shows they like us (U.S.) less now than they did a few years ago...85% hold an unfavorable view (68% very unfavorable).

They'd prefer Mitt Romney as president over Obama -- 73% to 25% (although I doubt most Egyptians could pick Mittness out of a lineup).

http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2012/05/~/media/Research/Files/Reports/2012/5/21%20egyptian%20elections%20poll%20telhami/egyptpollv201.jpg

Link to poll
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 11:59 am
@Irishk,
Sharia law is a very emotive term, but it was originally intended to be reinterpreted.

The Koran does not have a legal framework, it's full of ideas and values. When Mohammed died a group of revered Islamic scholars used the Koran as a basis for Shariah law. When it was completed these very scholars made a big point about it being of its time, and that it should be reinterpreted every couple of generations.

The problem is, their advice was ignored, that's why Shariah seems so archaic.

In any event starting a democracy can be a messy business, they've only experienced a dictatorship. As long as democracy is entrenched people will eventually stop feeling that Islamic fundamentalism is the only alternative to Mubarak style dictatorship.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:21 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
What is it with them?

I've read a number of theories which are all fairly plausible and probably not exhaustive. I suspect a mixture of all of them poured out of the democratic melting pot.
0 Replies