Holotes and its Parts?

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:37 am
A holotes is a natural or artificial (mental (concept), physical or electronic construc) entity, a totally new existence formed by different parts (components) combined.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,568 • Replies: 17
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 07:11 am
@aristolaos,
All "existence" is relational.

You need to relate this to existing concepts such as "system" or "gestalt" if you wish to invite dialogue on this subject.Note for example the work of Prigogine on spontaneous formation of structured systems in chemical reactions.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 10:17 am
@aristolaos,
aristolaos wrote:

A holotes is a natural or artificial (mental (concept), physical or electronic construc) entity, a totally new existence formed by different parts (components) combined.

Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

aristolaos

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 05:09 am
@fresco,
Any configuration, structure, entity, system, pattern, theory, cognition etc composed of parts (sensible or not) is a holotes, of matter and/or energy, and/or mind, natural and/or artificial, physical and/or electronic, when being active (in harmony) and creating results (ends, consequences, fruits, new holoteses either their copies/ substitutes or not) by themselves or by use of others. If inactive, they are either in potentiality status or not complete i.e lacking a part or parts, or just being without cause or purpose (end), a motley, a mess/mismash.
Psychology: Neurosis is the outcome of subjective/personal and/or social/societal, material and/or mental, holotes (personality) with missing parts/defects (i.e. societal and/or corporal/body elements).
Thus various theories and therapies towards completing personal holoteses, by adding on and/or removing parts, exist (psychodynamic, behaviourism, gestalt
fresco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 09:39 am
@aristolaos,
"Parts" are only defined relative to "wholes". (See Merlau-Ponty's extension of Gestalt) Your definition of a holotes appears to be tautological/vacuous.

What is "missing" in neurosis is an appropriate gestalt, not "a part" of one. For example, the neuroses we call "phobias" are inappropriate behavioral responses (as though to threat) to agreed "non-threatening" stimuli.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 10:35 am
@aristolaos,
I prefer the smooth sound of the music of Hall and Oates myself.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:07 pm
I've looked.
It is a poorly constructed quagmire of sub-links.
Note also that Richard Rorty , for example, seriously attacks Greek philosophical paradigms as being instrumental in the demise of modern philosophy as an academic discipline in modern times.(Ref: Rorty "Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature")
High Seas

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:23 pm
@fresco,
Tks for checking out the site of our friend Ἀριστόλαος here - saves me the trouble of doing it myself.

Rorty blames people dead these 25 centuries for the demise of "modern" philosophy? Surely there's some mistake there?
fresco

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 11:17 pm
@High Seas,
No mistake. Rorty argues against the Greek paradigm of "the given", i.e an authoritative base from which to draw conclusions (which he relates to the over an over emphasis of the importance of "vision of the external"). Basically, he claims that the historicism of Western philosophy is predicated on such origins and unlike non-Western philosophy has failed to appreciate the pragmatics of shifting contexts and the transient or functionally fabricated nature of axioms. Think for example of the shifting paradigms of science (re: Thomas Khun) which leaves academic philosophers scratching their heads in puzzlement like "bemused intellectual tourists" (to paraphrase the words of the physicist Richard Feynman), ill equipped to converse with "the natives".
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 12:32 am
@aristolaos,
...what "exists" is never to be "new"...(more complexity, but still the same patterns) ...its like fashion industry Aristolaos... Wink
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 01:07 am
@fresco,
...you seem to continually misunderstand the issue here..."the given" is actually presented with every shifting paradigm...the relational is the given....and the given is what is to be True. (with capital T)

...somehow you always tend to imply that " the functional" is somewhat false... but you simply have no way of comparison to draw such conclusion.
(abstractly speaking is the functional against what ?)

If anything you are left with "the given" in the relational and nothing else...

FUNCTIONS ARE TRUE THINGS !

(...and in case you are wondering , no, there´s no contradiction between this and my last post but those are another five cents to talk about)
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 05:03 am
@aristolaos,
Quote:
ὅλοξ 1
I. whole, entire, complete, Lat. integer, οὖλος ἄρτος a whole loaf, Od.; ὅλην πόλιν a whole city, Eur.; ὅλους βοῦς Ar., etc.;— πόλεις ὅλαι are whole, entire cities, opp. to ὅλη ἡ πόλις, the whole city, the city as a whole, Plat.:—with the Art. it may either precede or follow the Subst., τῆς ἡμέρας ὅλης the whole day, δι᾽ ὅλης τῆς νυκτός through the whole night, Xen., etc.
2. whole, i. e. safe and sound, Plat.
3. entire, utter, ὅλον ἁμάρτημα an utter blunder, Xen.; of a person, ὅλος εἶναι πρός τινι = Lat. totus in illis, Dem.
4. neut. as adv., ὅλον or τὸ ὅλον, wholly, entirely, Plat.; ὅλῳ καὶ παντί id=Plat., etc.; τῷ ὅλῳ καὶ παντί id=Plat.;— so, κατὰ ὅλον on the whole, generally, id=Plat.; δι᾽ ὅλου, καθ᾽ ὅλου (v. sub διόλου, καθόλου).
II. as Subst., τὸ ὅλον the universe, id=Plat.
2. τὰ ὅλα, one's all, Dem.; τοῖς ὅλοις ῀ ὅλως, altogether, Philipp. ap. Dem.
III. adv. ὅλως, wholly, altogether, Plat., etc.
2. on the whole, speaking generally, in short, in a word, Like ἑνὶ λόγῳ, Lat. denique, Dem.
3. often with a neg., οὐχ ὅλως not at all, Plat., Xen., etc.

1 o(/loc, ionic οὖλος, η, ον

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Liddell and Scott, online edition of Perseus: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0058
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The word ὅλος (holos) of course exists in Greek, and it does mean "whole", but there is no "holotes"; that's a made-up word, and perhaps your website should mention that. Besides, if Hegel didn't find it beneath his dignity to use the perfectly common German word "das Ganze" to denote "the whole", I completely fail to see why you can't use the English word and you need to introduce a neologism. No offense but I find this approach nonsensical.
High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 05:11 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

.... Think for example of the shifting paradigms of science (re: Thomas Khun) which leaves academic philosophers scratching their heads in puzzlement like "bemused intellectual tourists" (to paraphrase the words of the physicist Richard Feynman), ill equipped to converse with "the natives".

Kuhn correctly noted that models succeed and supersede one another in the sciences, but I was lucky to hear a few of Feynman's seminars on particle physics and can assure you he detested modern philosophers and their so-called philosophy; he did, however think highly of the Greeks.

Thank you for your explanation of Rorty - I haven't read him.
0 Replies

aristolaos

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 03:11 pm
@High Seas,
What about "holon"?
What about the term "holotes" in Orpheus?

Holotes, Holotis, or Olotis, a sum of dissimilar parts of matter and/or energy and/or mind (mental) creating a new existence (entity), different from its parts (components), and functioning as such.
The sums of similar parts are counted as one part each (quantity/amount, group, total) in this regard
The term holotes is found for the first time in the Theology of Orpheus, but it was extensively used by Aristotle in his Metaphysics.
Descriptions, Examples
Head in animals is a typical holotes as well as a hypo-holotes of the complete holotes "body"

The (human) brain is a holotes of matter, energy and mind (thought), incessantly attempting to explain phenomena accordingly (similarly), i.e. according to its existence, to itself, and to its complete satisfaction (consummation)

* Although both head and brain are in reality parts of form of the holotes "body of an animal" they are referred to as “holoteses” (as comprehensible examples).

Any form of existence, a living or a non-living thing, animate or inanimate, alive or dead, an animal or a stone, is a holotes, a part (hypo-holotes) of a larger holotes. Example: 1. a stone, 2. a country, 3. a star, 4. a galaxy, are all holoteses, while at the same time the holotes 1 is a hypo-holotes (part) of the larger holotes 2 and so on.

Something having beginning, middle and end, in matter, and/or energy and/or mind (plan, project, scheme, task, undertaking, construction"[3, study/research, film/play/serial, poem, novel/show, game; song/music piece, trip/itinerary, vacation, convention, lesson/course; life, cooperation) Every day is full of minor or major (short/small, long/big) such holoteses of matter and/or energy and/or mind that man and/or other cause creates, and must be encountered and experienced.

A holotes can be:

1. cause, grounds, justification, reason, purpose, goal, target, objective, (Greek aition, Latin causa);

2. means, medium, tool, assistant, catalyst;

3. result, answer, response, reaction, consequence, effect, conclusion, solution, product, offspring; fruit, yield, return, (Greek aitiaton, Latin eventus, fructus);

Interdependence AB

Holotes, cause of existence of a future (following, succeeding) holotes A-->B (e.g. parent -> child relation)

Holotes, cause of existence of a preceding holotes B-->A (e.g. child -> parent relation)

Etymology-Transliteration-Pronunciation-Grammar'

Etymology: From Greek Ὁλότης, from holon, (Greek ὅλον = whole)

Transliteration: The Greek word ὅλον takes aspiration mark (δασεία, /ða'si:a/) on the first accented syllable "o" which is rendered by "h" in Latin transliteration (English etc), hence also the derivative "holotes".

The correct transliteration of the Greek letter "η" (ήτα, pron./'i:tə/) (΄eeta) is "e" in Latin Roman, thus the transliteration of "ὁλότης" is "holotes" in grammatical terms. However, as the aspiration mark is not pronounced in modern Greek and the following vowel "o" is not affected, one can transliterate the word phonetically in just "olotis" in pronunciation terms.

Pronunciation:

Holotes, /hə'ləʊtɪs/, /hə'loʊtɪs/, /hə'lɒtɪs/, or /həʊ.../ Olotis, (Greek pron. [o'lotis]), English pron. /ə'ləʊtɪs/, /ə'loʊtɪs/, /ə'lɒtɪs/, or /əʊ.../ Holon, /'həʊlən/, /'hoʊlən/, or /'hɒlən/ Holotism, /'hɒlətɪzm/ or /'həʊlətɪzm/ Holotics, /hə'ləʊtɪcs/, /hə'loʊtɪcs/, or /həʊ.../

Holotist, /hə'ləʊtɪst/, /hə'loʊtɪst/, or /həʊ.../

Holot-ize-ise, /'hɒlətaiz/ or /'həʊlətaiz/ Hypo-holotes, /΄haɪpəhə'ləʊtɪs/

Grammar: Holotes is a noun (in Greek) (countable, i.e. one can say one holotes, two holoteses etc, and Holon is a pronoun (adjective) rarely used as a noun (uncountable, i.e. one cannot say one holon, two holons etc). In modern Greek the word "ὁλοτης" is "ὁλότητα", taken from the accusative case of the word "ὁλότης" which is "oλότητα" and made it of "first declension" (declination), although originally the word "ὁλότης" belongs to the third declension, in literary and old Greek.(Singular: Nom. ὁλότης, Gen. ὁλότητος, Dat. ὁλότητι, Acc. ὁλότητα, Voc. ὁλότης. Plural: Nom. ὁλότητες, Gen. ὁλοτήτων, Dat. ὁλότησι, Acc. ὁλότητας, Voc. ὁλότητες) Plural of Holotes in English: Holoteses, /hə'ləʊtɪsiz/

See also

Greek Diacritics

Holon

Holism

Hegel Dictionary

Set

Glossary

Equivalents of "Ὁλότης" (Holotes) in European Languages:

English: wholeness, whole, entirety, entity, unity completeness, totality, sum, aggregate

French: ensemble, totalite, entite

German: Ganze, Zusammensetzung

Italian: integrita, completezza, interezza, somma, universalita

Latin:totum

Hypo-holotes: a holotes as a part of a (larger) holotes (sub-holotes)

INTERNET LINKS

The Theology of Orpheus

A reprovação do exame de ordem

Proklos: Theologische Elementarlehre (st...

Anthropogénie. Chapitre 13 - Les tecture...

Jakub Vojta

Categories of Tetraktys A

Studieren an Mittelalterlichen Universitäten: Chancen und Risiken ... '

Proclus and the Neoplatonic Syllogistic'

Filosofia - Lexikon

Proclus: Commentary on Plato's Timaeus - Google Books Result'

Proclus: Commentary on Plato's Timaeus'

Greek Philosophical Terms: A Historical Lexicon - Google Books Result'

L'Afrique ... - Google Books Result'

Цельность (holotes) - Cel'nost' (holotes)'

Что такое Цельность (holotes)?'

Научная сеть > Поиск > цельность (holotes)'

Лосев А. История античной эстетики. Принцип меры и гармонии ...'

ПРОКЛ ДИАДОХ - сетевой проект Центра Антиковедения

0 Replies

aristolaos

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:56 am
@High Seas,
Hegel uses the triad "Thesis, antithesis, synthesis", where the last word is the composition resulted from the two i.e. Thesis and Antithesis.
Holotes (Ολότης) is composed (is a composition) of dissimilar event opposite parts.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:09 am
@aristolaos,
I have trouble with the term "opposition" I rather prefer complementarity instead..."opposition" often comes as a dangerous word...
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 06:19 am
@aristolaos,
You're so clearly clueless it's funny - thesis, synthesis, antithesis, are actual words, "holotes" isn't. It comes up nowhere in Aristotle's writings, and since the Orphic mysteries were (as the word indicates) mysteries, whose content could never be repeated by the participants, we have no text of them. Goodbye.
0 Replies

aristolaos

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:11 am
@fresco,
Parts of a Holotes Edit
PARTS (Greek μέρη/΄meri/)
Time and Ways: (which comes first, holotes or parts).

Holotes (of matter and/or energy and/or mind/mental, physical or electronic etc, natural, man or animal made) is the parts and (all) the parts are the holotes (tautology).

Parts (of matter and/or energy and/or mind/mental, physical or electronic etc, natural, man or animal made) form a holotes.

1. preceding the holotes, beforehand:

1.1. before the beginning (of the process) of creating a holotes (a priori):from the very beginning, having in mind (as a mental holotes), the required and choicest parts for its forming (e.g. parts/roles in a play, material etc for a building, elements for a composition, etc) (mainly man-made, artificial) or

1.2. while in the process of creating a holotes (a posteriori),after discovering (finding out) of the parts that are missing, required to complete the holotes .(e.g. you want to make up a holotes of 7 parts but you have only 5 so you realize that you need another 2 parts etc) ) (mainly man-made, artificial) or else the holotes will be subjectively or objectively imperfect, defective, or unfinished/incomplete.

2.1. following the holotes (natural, physical or electronic etc)i.e. as its “form” (morphe, substance, eidos, purpose) prevails (creates the need-s), the parts (specifications) must satisfy it (more like 1) (e.g. a bear, a star with its planet(s) etc).

In a nutshell, the parts of a natural holotes formed and adapted/evolved to satisfy the needs, the purpose, existence/subsistence of the holotes, subsequently holotes preceding.

2.2. following the holotes (man-made, artificial, physical or electronic etc, or mental) (subjective or objective) i.e. as its “form” (morphe, substance, eidos, purpose) prevails, shows the needs, the parts (specifications) must satisfy ( comply with/follow (submit/obey/serve/adapt to) it (more like 1) (e.g. parts of a hotel/monument contracted to be made, government reshuffle).

3. existing at random, or forcibly/peremptorily, predominating or not (man-made, artificial or not)(e.g. parts in a natural seaside, water-falls and river landscape, a bacterium in an animaletc).

Kind/Type:

(natural, man or animal made/artificial, physical or electronic etc or mental)

There are mainly four kinds of parts (components, constituents) that can form a holotes:

1. A hypo-holotes

2. A part of form/morphe

3. A part of another holotes (fragment, piece)

4. A base or basis (principle)

1.A hypo-holotes, (constituent, also sub-holotes, sub-whole, subset), i.e. a holotes, which, while/on the one hand it can function, exist alone, on the other hand/in other circumstances it can, impelled or not (with or without force) also behave as/ be a part in another holotes, either permanently or provisionally/transitionally (e.g. a worm in an organism, a dog/pet in a family, a tree in a garden, a man in a company, a company in an association, a country/ country-state- in a union/organization, etc).

2. A part of form, (absolute or relative) i.e. an indispensable, prominent, essential, specific part of form (morphe) (feature, characteristic, attribute), either permanent or provisional /transitional (e.g. absolute such a hand/ear/head/leg of an animal, leaves of a tree, wheels of a car, an agreement of an alliance, an article of a law, etc and relative such as a leader of a party etc (made of elements/particles, and/or a hypo-holotes-es/constituent-s) (see Time and Ways, Parts, 2).

3. A part of/from another holotes, (piece, mainly homoeomeric, homogeneous), rather a part of a total/quantity, which is not supposed to be a literal part in this context,i.e.a portion, fraction, quotient, section, slice, fragment, segment, bit, scrap, cut, shred, some, a number of, quantity, amount.

A part, of major of minor importance, is also any attribute (tangible or intangible, material or immaterial, characteristic, quality, property, trait) existing intrinsically, in the inside of a holotes, or in the outside of it, in the environment/ambience, provisionally/at random (kata symbebekos), or permanently (see parts, time and ways, 3) which, more or less, influences/affects a holotes. (e.g. a person, a company or a family etc in a (region of a) country, neighbourhood etc, and of course them influencing the holotes, see time and ways).

Grammar: adjectives/adverbs of place, cause/purpose, manner, time (when, how long), quality, quantity;Syntax: predicate denoting essence/substance, quantity, quality, size, time (when, how long), activity, passivity or neutral status/state.

The sensible (visible, audible etc), prevailing, distinctive part, attribute, characteristic, feature, the most essential property of a holotes is the cause of its name (see onomatopoeia).
0 Replies