Coleslaw revisited, thanks to Panzade - your recipes?

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:09 pm
Somewhere on a2k, Panzade posted his effort to clone the KFC coleslaw.
Luckily I copied that once I found it onto a Works page, as I had trouble searching it a second time, maybe a search boo boo day on my part.

Anyway, here was his take on the matter:

KFC cole slaw clone

8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)
1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces (about the size of rice).
2. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice in
large bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Serves 10-12.

Here was my first take on his take, reported in the Everything Eaten Yesterday diet/nutrition thread -

"I divided the ingredients in 2, didn't chop everything all that fine.
Used less sugar, but still some
didn't have a lemon, used a lime
didn't have fresh carrots, but some I'd pickled, they worked fine

Since I always fool with a recipe, next time I'd add some chopped french cut green beans if I have them."

I just finished making a new half batch - getting further away from kfc..

This time I followed most of Panz's dressing measurements, and put the dressing in a refrigerator container (read, old clean glass jar), to be doled out. Probably added a third of it to my bowl of cabbage, etc.
I still used some pickled carrot. Probably added more onion (who measures? it was more than 1/2 of 2 tbs. More like 3 tbs, which is proportionately a lot more, 300%, but then I like onion.
I used 3/8th c sugar in the dressing.
Didn't have lemon or lime, added 2 tbs rice vinegar, 2 tbs red wine vinegar. Those might be hilarious together, but could my taste buds tell?
Added crunched up dried mexican oregano (some), dried basil (some), green chile powder (1/2 tsp). Some = something like a fat teaspoon.
No room in the bowl to add some chopped frozen green beans. It takes me a while to eat a whole bowl of coleslaw (luckily, it keeps quite well) so I'll add them manana.

Am letting the mess rest in the fridge, haven't tasted it yet.

I think next time I'll go more towards the curry thing - I want to ingest more turmeric..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,515 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Minne is kinda similar but
1NO MILK (bleech)

2We like carroay seed in the vinegar and let it steep for a few hours before mixing it up.
WE use a slaw board, Its a big beech board with a cutter across the middle. Cutter is sharp as a razor and the cabbage just slides below the cutter through a channel cut in the wood. Soemtimes (for New Years) we go all gay Pa Dutch and add teeny chunks of APPLE to the mix. Its a great once and a while treat, not for every day. I also like the apple chunk version (The gay Dutch recipe) whenever we have RIBS
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:46 pm
@farmerman,
I got suckered into a fuckin coleslaw thread . This will totally rune my image as a gourmand and epicure.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:01 pm
@farmerman,
OK, you're slimed. (thinking but just not picturing it)

A slaw board?
Pamela Rosa

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:46 am
I grate the cabbage for the coleslaw on the coarse side of the grater,
and my salad is puffy like from KFC.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 04:26 am
@ossobuco,
      http://cache-images.pronto.com/thumb2.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.pronto.com%2Fimages%2Fproduction%2Fproducts%2F6b%2F2d%2Fpric2e1ee51d16331c368e61dae91382-1288250210_480x480.jpg&wmax=180&hmax=180&quality=80&bgcol=FFFFFF                          Heres a picture of a cole slaw board, or cabbage grater. You put the cabbage in that little box and slide it across a blade in the board. They use these things to make saur kraut as well as coleslaw.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:29 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks! learned something new..
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I got suckered into a fuckin coleslaw thread . This will totally rune my image as a gourmand and epicure.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 08:08 pm
@farmerman,
I definitely liked my number two effort better...
0 Replies