Converting Jar size quantities Pounds to metric.

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 04:19 am
I have an very old Strawberry and Ginger pickle receipe which is written up by quoting in Lbs and Ounces (Imperial) jar size.
However, the jars I have are all in Litres (not even in Kilos).
So, I need to know how many Lbs and Ounces can you get into a 1 Litre jar?
Many thanks....S.Morgan....Bromley.
PS....I'm not as sad as I sound!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 31,322 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:02 am
Surely how many pounds/ounces of ginger etc will fit will depend on how it is prepared and how much liquid is added.

Not sure if this is usefull.

Looking at my wifes measuring jug 1 litre = 4 cups = 40 fl oz
4 lvl cups flour = 1 lb

as a rule of thumb 1 kg of sugar will fit into i litre container
1kg = 2.2lb
Thanks to the Australian Country Womens Association (CWA) cookbook 1966 for the above info

BTW you dont sound sad at all. and you better post the recipie or the A2K cooks will be after you.
http://able2know.org/topic/90735-1
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:05 am
A pound is a unit of weight and a litre is a unit of volume. Different things will take up different volumes. I thought Mason (canning) jar sizes were quoted in gallons? Perhaps if you could quote some of the recipe?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:11 am
In the United States, at least, a cup is 8 ounces of volume--so four cups would be 32 ouces of volume, not 40. However, this may be different in the Imperial system. Once again, speaking for the United States, mason jars come in pints and quarts. A U.S. standard pint is 16 ounces, and a quart is 32 ounces of volume. So, this also may be different in the Imperial system. I've never in my life heard of a mason jar which held a gallon. I can't claim my experience to be definitive, but when i was a child lvining with my grandparents, we "canned" (i.e., preserved in glass jars or by freezing) almost all of the fruits and vegetables that we ate.
dadpad

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:21 am
2.2lbs = 1 kg = 1 litre = 1000 ml
1 ounce = 28.34 grams

1 millilitre of water = 1 gram
1000 grams = 1 kg
1000 ml = 1 litre
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:22 am
You're right. The typical jars used for home canning use are named "Mason" after John L. Mason, the inventor of the first common canning jar. Mason jars can come in half-pint, pint, quart, and half-gallon sizes.

0 Replies

StrawberryandGinger

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 02:23 am
Many thanks to all of you for your help.....I'm not much of a cook to be honest and as such I'm worried about 'guessing' incorrectly and having a disaster on my hands, I'm going to have a go at this in the next few days....I'm planning to make about 10 Lbs....don't ask me how many litres that is!!
My pickling jars are Ravenhead of St Helens (near Liverpool) and all are litre sizes.
Wish me luck!
Where do I post the receipe by the way?
Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 07:27 am
@StrawberryandGinger,
You can post the recipe right here, or, you can start a new thread, which might attact the attention of the foodies here. There are a lot of them, and i feel sure that they'd be interested. There is a Food and Drink forum, and although i'm not sure how you'd do it with this new format, you could post i there if someone can explain to you how to do that. Therre mighta lso be a thread there about home canning to which you could add your recipe.

To find the Food and Drink forum, go to the bottom of the page, click on the "Home" rubric, and the look about half-way down the page just to the right of center. Click on the Food and Drink rubric, and then look to see if you can find an existing thread on recipes for home canning. If you don't find one, start one of your own.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:31 am
@StrawberryandGinger,
StrawberryandGinger wrote:
My pickling jars are Ravenhead of St Helens (near Liverpool) and all are litre sizes.

Do you mean they hold 1 litre? At a guess for pickle that would be a bit more than a pound, maybe a pound and a half. A litre of water weighs just over 2 pounds 3 ounces, and pickle is somewhat thicker than water.

I see you are British. Well, take a look at a jar of Branston pickle. The smallest size is 310 grams, that's about 11 ounces. Work out roughly how many small jars of Branston you can get into one of your jars. Jam weighs about the same. If you have an empty pickle or jam jar fill it with water and pour it into a pickling jar over and over again (counting how many times) until the pickling jar is full. Now you know.

Or this recipe makes about 1 litre. The quanitities will give you a clue. The web is full of metric to imperial conversion sites. Google will convert if you type e.g. "15 ounces in grams".

Quote:
Peel and coarsely grate 2 large mangoes into a steel-bottomed pan, and add about 15-20cm worth of fresh root ginger cut into fine slivers (think quartered matchsticks rather than cylinders of carrot.) Pour in 350ml of white wine or cider vinegar, 400g granulated sugar and add a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon of turmeric and one of cayenne paper.

Stir well, turn on the hob and allow the mixture to simmer on a medium heat until thickened slightly. Turn the heat down and simmer for another 35-45 minutes until thickened again. Don’t allow your chutney to thicken entirely as this will happen in the setting process. Over a number of days, the chutney will become darker and stickier.

Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jam jars, secure the lid and turn the jar upside down on a smooth counter. The heat of the chutney will doubly sterilise the jar at this point and create a vacuum at the top (bottom) so that once cooled, the jar lid will have its satisfying clicky button thing back. What this means, I’m not quite sure, but I’ve heard it’s good.

The recipe makes about a litre of chutney and is best paired with a homemade Jamaican-style label. It mellows with age and can always handle a little cayenne stirred into the jar if you think you can go hotter.

0 Replies

LookingForPickle

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 08:38 am
@StrawberryandGinger,
I have been looking for a strawberry and ginger pickle recipe which I accidentally threw out many years ago and have sorely missed. I think the recipe to which you refer here might be the very same one! Would you be able to post it up here or email it to me at (minus the spaces) mylene . studio @ gmail . com ? Thank you!
roger

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 02:00 pm
@LookingForPickle,
Probably won't happen. She only had two posts about nine months ago, but maybe the new posts will inspire someone else to post their recipe.
0 Replies

ajnelson

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:10 pm
@Setanta,
From Canada eh! A half pint mason jar is 8 oz or 1 cups or about 250 ml (millilitres). A pint mason jar is 16 oz or 2 cups or about 500 ml (millilitres). A quart jar is 34 oz or 4 cups or about 1000 ml (or 1 litre).
0 Replies