Deftil

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:18 am
What do you think are the toughest philosophical questions to answer? I'm not looking for your answers (that would be too much for one thread), but I'm looking for your specific questions. What philosophical questions do you find yourself unable to answer? Which ones, if any, do you think are impossible to answer?

A sentence or 2 about the question or your answer is ok, but remember, I'm just trying to poll for the toughest questions themselves.

Thanks.

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:00 pm
@Deftil,
Why is there something rather than nothing? - Heidegger
Quite the impossible question, isn't it.

How should I live? What life or ideal should I live or die for? - Kierkegaard
A very difficult and personal question, that no one can answer except me.

Prove to me that you are not figments of my imagination. - Solipsist.
Well, any answer that you give, is just part of my imagination; so suck it.
validity

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:39 pm
@Victor Eremita,
How can it be determined that my experience of consciousness is the same as anyone else's experience of consciousness?
Deftil

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 03:20 am
@validity,
These are good ones so far, thanks. Keep em coming guys!
Justin

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:42 am
@Deftil,
....What is man?
Deftil

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:36 am
@Justin,
Can the existence of a god be proven or disproven?
TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:20 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;24885 wrote:

Prove to me that you are not figments of my imagination. - Solipsist.

I do martial arts and spar on a regular basis. It's very difficult to buy this philosophy when a fist meets my nose. Why would I let a figment of my imagination get away with that?
TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:27 pm
@Deftil,
Deftil;25026 wrote:

What would be the point of doing either?
Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:41 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I do martial arts and spar on a regular basis. It's very difficult to buy this philosophy when a fist meets my nose. Why would I let a figment of my imagination get away with that?

The solipsist might say pain is needed to appreciate pleasure.

Or he might say that I've let my imagination run wild.

Or he might say that I don't know why I would want to imagine receiving pain, but I imagined it. And that's that.

Either way, the "person" who hit me in the nose is just a figment of my imagination
TickTockMan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:01 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;25390 wrote:
The solipsist might say pain is needed to appreciate pleasure.

Or he might say that I've let my imagination run wild.

Or he might say that I don't know why I would want to imagine receiving pain, but I imagined it. And that's that.

Either way, the "person" who hit me in the nose is just a figment of my imagination

So does the solipsist's philosophy accept a complete lack of self control as one of its tenets?
Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:25 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
So does the solipsist's philosophy accept a complete lack of self control as one of its tenets?

It doesn't have any opinion on that; it merely states:

My mind is the only mind that exists
Anything being sensed or experienced is merely content of this one and only existing mind.

It's hard to argue against a solipsist because anything you say to try to disprove solipsism can always be explained (or not) as being part of the content of the solipsist's mind or imagination.
CarolA

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:58 am
@Victor Eremita,
Tough questions:
1. why are we here (and I don't mean on this forum!) - why does anything exist?
2. is there a purpose to us as humans?

I am looking for answers beyond "42" and "because God said so", although about 10 minutes contemplating any deep philosophical question makes you understand why easy answers are so appealing.
TickTockMan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:31 am
@CarolA,
CarolA;25394 wrote:

2. is there a purpose to us as humans?

I don't believe there is any real purpose.
CarolA

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:

I am inclined to believe that myself - although it seems like a big waste of resources!
TickTockMan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:05 pm
@CarolA,
CarolA;25488 wrote:
I am inclined to believe that myself - although it seems like a big waste of resources!

Perhaps that's our purpose . . . simply to use up resources.
ariciunervos

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:47 pm
@TickTockMan,
purpose - something set up as an object or end to be attained

Purpose of humans.... Tricky one.

The idea of purpose pretends to the concept of having an objective to fulfill, your purpose of existence would be to attain that objective, or to fill a role in the grander scheme of things, that is, having a continuous purpose to be.

It's hard to squeeze the word 'purpose' in because of causality principles. We can't really tell if an action taken by an individual, a community of individuals, or even the whole humanity, has been taken to attain or to move closer to attaining said objective we're purposed to reach since that said action is just an effect of a previous cause.

Continuing on cause-and-effect, having an Ultimate Purpose would mean all actions, starting from cellular level and straight up to humanity as a whole would mean that we're walking on an already beaten path (some religious people would call this the Divine Plan). That would entice the idea of an initial cause that somehow magically triggered an insanely long series of effects and causes that ultimately leads to attaining said purpose. That is, if our purpose to be is to attain an end.

If we were to have a let's say 'continuous' purpose to be, well ... What would be my own personal purpose to be ? Or yours ? Or what was your great-great-grandfather's purpose to be ? His actions were decided by his past experiences, desires and intentions. If there was a "purpose" (apart from the universal one, to reproduce) to his existence then how did his actions fulfill this purpose ? Did they at all ? Is our individual purpose fulfilled even if we have no idea what it is ? Then, is it fulfilled by chance ?

Moving on from individuals to the whole humanity, we could be biologically programmed to have a purpose, as a whole. Though again, it is hard to push the word 'purpose' into the equation without adding divinity too.

Let's take bacteria. It lived on the earth for 3 billion years before more complex organisms were formed. Was there a purpose to that ? Later on when algae formed from said bacteria, would you say that its purpose was to enrich the atmosphere with oxygen so more advanced organisms will benefit from it ? Again, a thing like a "Divine Plan" is needed. Oxygen was needed by advanced organisms so algae photosynthesized it. But algae didn't know more advanced organisms would need oxygen, so it couldn't have had purpose in the true sense of the word, from its own point of view, it just evolved in response to the environmental conditions.

My guess would be our purpose is, like any living thing, to reproduce.

To have another purpose than that well ... then something must give you a purpose at creation. If I am a shoemaker I make shoes and I make them with the purpose to sell them or wear them. Tools have purposes. Are we tools ? If we are tools and our creator gave us purpose, the purpose must have been coded in the DNA of the first cell. For all we know tomorrow an alien race will land on Earth and say "Glork". That would trigger a reaction in our brains, turning all of us into slaves, the day after tomorrow we'd be in the alien army fighting their wars or on their lands growing their plants.

But if the first cell appeared by accident then ... The result of an accident doesn't really have any purpose. We're alive, we have to stay alive, we have to reproduce. Isn't it fun being alive ? Laughing

Hope that made a little sense at least Smile Thanks.

edit:spelling and small addition
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@ariciunervos,
Nicely done!
pssst: "Glork."
ariciunervos

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:55 am
@Deftil,
Deftil wrote:

How about Santa Claus and his invisible sleigh and reindeer ?
validity

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 12:58 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:

Maybe it is the responsibility of the individual to assign purpose.
Whoever

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:57 am
@Deftil,
My favourite is: Why are all questions about the universe as a whole undecidable?