cheese mold.

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:47 am
@contrex,
mold 2 (mld)
n.
1. Any of various fungi that often cause disintegration of organic matter.
2. The growth of such fungi.
intr.v. mold·ed, mold·ing, molds
To become moldy.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:59 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Well done for spelling "mould" properly

Thank you - I did that to differentiate mold- a distinctive form or cast from which something is made from the mould that grows on food. It didn't look right to me without the u.
Quote:
Er, I am no Lister or Pasteur,

Yeah - me neither- as you can tell. Laughing Laughing . I meant the toxins that are produced by mould - and I know that bacteria can be toxic - so I just used that word, incorrectly as it happens - but I was wrong about all of it, as I found when I actually read up on it- EXCEPT that some people with strong immunities have systems that can more readily tolerate mould and its resultant toxins.

So I was right about that. I've always scraped small amounts of mould away and I've been fine - but I have a very strong immune system (never get sick) and no allergies- so I figure I'm a safe bet.
Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:05 pm
@contrex,
All of this debate fascinates me to no end. It's a potentially an important issue which I've thought about for years.

I, too, am a 'light-scraper' with cheddar, but w/ soft cheese if I see anything at all, I will toss out to be on safe side.

I sure hope this is correct protocol for my safety. I haven't died yet so I guess I'm OK. I always smell my food before I bite in...but sometimes that (no smell) can be misleading.

Oh, FWIW, spelling of 'mould' and 'mold' are aceptable. The spelling differences are Brit vs. American English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences
mould mold In all senses of the word. In Canada both have wide currency
Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:15 pm
@ebrown p,
Well, personally, I find it wasteful when you puke up your food so I would cut the mold - that way I am only wasting that small amount of cheese - as opposed to my full serving of foods I puked after eating mold.
Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:21 pm
@Linkat,
However, my practice in the scenario of having a soft bread with start of a small amt of mold/mould (sliced or whole loaf), I will toss a large portion away. With harder more dense breads, I will toss less away but still keep it around for VERY short time.

{edit: oops...cheese mold...off topic]
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:34 pm
@aidan,
Aidan...

Quote:
Quote:

Well done for spelling "mould" properly

Thank you - I did that to differentiate mold- a distinctive form or cast from which something is made from the mould that grows on food. It didn't look right to me without the u.

They are both spelt "mold" in American and "mould" in British English...
contrex

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:36 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Oh, FWIW, spelling of 'mould' and 'mold' are aceptable. The spelling differences are Brit vs. American English:

I know; I was being mischievous.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 01:29 pm
@contrex,
Quote:

They are both spelt "mold" in American and "mould" in British English...

lol
contrex

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 01:48 pm
@ebrown p,
What's funny about that, ebrown p?
ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:09 pm
@contrex,
The word "spelt" made me chuckle.

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:20 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
The word "spelt" made me chuckle.

Both "spelt" and "spelled" are correct in British and American English. "Spelt" is the dominant variant in BrE, but is considered by some to be archaic in AmE, where "spelled" is dominant. I think Noah Webster had something to do with it. See also burnt/burned, although built survives in AmE, as does felt.

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:30 pm
@contrex,
The word "spelt" sounds mighty funny (even quaint) to this American English speaker's ears (unless of course you are talking about a variety of wheat). I actually thought you were trying to be funny (and perhaps add a bit of colour to your post).

What is that word you all use to refer to a list of things to be done at pre-planned times?

Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:35 pm
@ebrown p,
shed-yule?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:14 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
The word "spelt" sounds mighty funny (even quaint) to this American English speaker's ears

I'm trying to find a polite, non-judgmental way of saying this, but I can't: you must be rather narrow in your reading habits.
0 Replies

nosubject13

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 05:17 pm
@Linkat,
yeah, except it's not okay at all. mayo clinic says you need to cut off an inch all around the mold. that's most likely all the cheese. if there's visible mold on one part it's probably starting to grow everywhere. I'm surprised they go on record suggesting such risky behavior with not details at all.
i had the same problem and wrote them a letter and did not get a good reply. they basically don't care and don't see a problem. don't buy from them
Ragman

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 05:35 pm
@nosubject13,
If you check the timestamp, be aware that you are responding to a 6-yr-old thread.
roger

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 06:06 pm
@Ragman,
I should have mentioned six years ago that I wouldn't touch black mold with a barge pole. I'd probably chance it with green.
Ragman

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 06:30 pm
@roger,
Ya know ... I was told by my folks that when I was born, they threw away the mold.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 06:51 am
@nosubject13,
so that is why I have been so ill the last 6 years....its the cheese!
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:00 am
@Linkat,
eating the mouse with the cheese is not an option.
0 Replies