Should obese people have to pay for an extra airplane seat?

High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:23 pm
@Linkat,
Sorry Linkat - if you go back a century of course you're right. I've been looking at epidemiological data, and focusing on the latest trends - did you know, btw, that there are indications obesity may be linked to a viral infection, an adenovirus? Many cancers are also known to be viral in origin; ie both conditions may be contagious. This may be a good time for some of us to start buying spare seats on airplanes as a safety precaution Smile
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:27 pm
@High Seas,
The article is an interesting read though. I am short and I hate milk, but I don't drink all the sweetly sick cold drinks - I drink water, coffee (iced even in winter) sometimes iced tea, cranberry juice (is about the only juice I drink). So I am short, but still thin. But I tower over my mom, aunt and grandmother!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 10:28 am
a/t to a scientific study published by the BBC overweight people are bad for the environment and increase the demand for fuel consumption for transportation .

see : http://able2know.org/topic/131630-1

"the 70's lifestyle - good for the environment "

Quote:
The rising numbers of people who are overweight and obese in the UK means the nation uses 19% more food than 40 years ago, a study suggests.

That could equate to an extra 60 mega tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions a year, the team calculated.

Transport costs of a fatter population were also included in the International Journal of Epidemiology study.

Dr Phil Edwards, study leader and researcher at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said they had set out to calculate what the UK energy consumption would be if the weight of the population was put back a few decades.

“ Staying slim is good for health and for the environment ”
Dr Phil Edwards

so who has to pay : the people eating too much food making them overweight or the corporations producing the excess food and enticing people to over-eat ?
or do they share the blame ?

imo the producers must share some of the blame - just like those corporations producing excess packaging should bear some of the burden for
re-cycling (not producing excess packaging in the first place would be best ) .
have you seen the latest ad for "bran buds" : SINGLE PACKAGES !!!
there is more paper and cardboard than bran in the packages !
hbg
High Seas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:07 am
@hamburger,
Had intended to reply to Ossobuco, but found that all her posts have been deleted from this thread - what happened?? She's one of the most courteous of posters, so that can't have been the cause of the deletion. Anyway, I checked the scientific databases and found a number of fMRI studies like this one >

Quote:
The SCM predicts that
only extreme out-groups, groups that are both stereotypically
hostile and stereotypically incompetent (low warmth,
low competence), such as addicts and the homeless, will be
dehumanized. Prior studies show that the medial prefrontal
cortex (mPFC) is necessary for social cognition.
Functional magnetic resonance imaging provided data for
examining brain activations in 10 participants viewing 48
photographs of social groups and 12 participants viewing
objects; each picture dependably represented one SCM
quadrant. Analyses revealed mPFC activation to all social
groups except extreme (low-low) out-groups, who especially
activated insula and amygdala, a pattern consistent
with disgust, the emotion predicted by the SCM. No objects,
though rated with the same emotions, activated the mPFC.
This neural evidence supports the prediction that extreme
out-groups may be perceived as less than human, or dehumanized

http://www.nd.edu/~wcarbona/Harris%20and%20Fiske-2006.pdf

> so finally we have an answer to the tag "dehumanizing" someone posted on the thread here: it's based on a well-known neural pathway activated by the emotion of disgust.
High Seas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:32 am
@High Seas,
There's a lot more info on the fMRI studies, so here's a second - and final - article that may interest posters in addition to anonymous taggers:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v447/n7146/full/447768a.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:32 pm
@High Seas,
what? all my posts?
cripes, I'll have to review to see if that's true.
I'm trying to remember what I said..

I do delete myself once in a while, but, naturally, most of the time I do that re poor grammar/typos, and only once in a while re rethought thoughts, while I work up some improved version.. and only within a minute or two. (I tend to post as I think thoughts, for better or worse, in contrast to a good friend here who works up the best posts possible at the time... would that I were more like him.)

Occasionally I'm too crabby for even myself, and cut what I posted (again, that would be relatively quickly.) So.. I'll have to study if that could have happened, HoT; it might have on this thread.
NickFun

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:39 pm
@ossobuco,
High Seas may have accidentally out you on ignore and simply can't see your posts!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:53 pm
@NickFun,
To high seas and nick, I probably did delete myself.

I'm mixed on all this - I once hired a guy as a lab associate who weighed 400+ and he was a terrific worker, later tormented by a rather psychologically disturbed other lab tech. I don't like what I think of as unthoughtful disses on people carrying a load of weight. He and his wife had a sweet romance that could make a movie; I was godmother to their daughter, despite my lack of faith - they knew me and knew I would follow their wishes.

But re airplane seats, eh, I see the problemo and accompanying issues, which is why I'm listening.

I probably blurted out some defensive bit re the obese and then decided to quiet down for the nonce and edited it.

Last I remember, I was thinking of posting re the idea of big seats and little seats and decided I wasn't clear on my thoughts and didn't post.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:12 pm
@High Seas,
" so finally we have an answer to the tag "dehumanizing" someone posted on the thread here: it's based on a well-known neural pathway activated by the emotion of disgust."

I don't think that is true in the way you are thinking of it. I think it is simple, a person read the thread and felt dehumanized. Ipso facto.
talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:58 pm
Deregulation of the airline industry brought about the cut-throat corner-cutting business actions of the airlines. In effect it caused the dehumanizing environment in the passenger planes treating passengers as mere loads. Modernization of the society also created the obesity problem as tools, devices, equipment and vehicles are designed to be convenient and labor-saving thus contributing to less physical activity. The modern agri-businesses have used chemicals to enhance production i.e. fatter cows, pigs, chickens with the use of hormones, vitamins and anti-biotics. The residual effects on human consumers are unknown. Hormones used to fatten the animals could also fatten people who eat their meats or products, right?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 09:21 am
@NickFun,
Lol, Nick - the only posters I have on ignore are the mad Indian whose name I mercifully forgot and all known kak-personalities. Osso is around the bottom of potential ignorees lists, for me and I think also for most everybody else here.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 09:23 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

what? all my posts?
cripes, I'll have to review to see if that's true.
I'm trying to remember what I said..
Occasionally I'm too crabby for even myself, and cut what I posted (again, that would be relatively quickly.) So.. I'll have to study if that could have happened, HoT; it might have on this thread.

Don't worry about it, Ossobuco, rather take care of your eyesight first. I didn't even know you can edit / delete old posts here once someone else has posted after you - or enough time has elapsed, or both, so I'm glad to know that now.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:47 pm
@High Seas,
You can edit/delete but only within something like four minutes from the post time.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Ossobuco - no fewer than 5 persons marked your post to which I am replying "positive", and the same persons marked posts they (the shadowy, unnamed, non-posting they) as "negative". You didn't notice, wisely deciding it is beneath notice, as indeed it is - but, think, what dehumanizing /dehumanized (by whom?) thingies we have clicking away on this forum Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:11 pm
@High Seas,
Oh, wait...

I see a lot of us clicking emotionally, from time to time, and you are right, I don't post re plusses or minuses - I'm a shoot from the hip type, for better or worse, occasionally way worse re neg response. Hah, this may be attention deficit, I've little patience.

But dehumanization/humanization are just words.

I know so many people dissed every day who are power houses, given footing.
High Seas

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:18 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, wait...

I see a lot of us clicking emotionally, from time to time, and you are right, I don't post re plusses or minuses - I'm a shoot from the hip type, for better or worse, occasionally way worse re neg response. Hah, this may be attention deficit, I've little patience.

But dehumanization/humanization are just words.

I know so many people dissed every day who are power houses, given footing.

Of course I'm right - what other possibility was there, when the dissenting parties (or, if it's a kak-like manifestation, party) never even honor the site with any actual input other than incoherent tags and negative clicks! See if I, or anyone else, cares about them - and goodnight, sleep well to you, and get your eyes fixed soon. Lots of love and all good wishes, Ossobuco, from me and from everyone else here - everyone posting, at any rate Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:35 pm
@High Seas,
Well, gee, people work up some vigor for posting by clicking, sometimes. Not everyone is a verbal magnifico.

More important, not everyone who has trouble putting commentary into words is without sharp thoughts.

Of course I care about your comments about me, (mess), but I'm trying to keep any of that out of conversation/good argument.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:48 pm
@High Seas,
I feel slightly off friend for pointing out to you, Hseas, that Thea categorized along with the dehumanizing thing. We do have individuals here who have problems - or interests - re weight. We have whole successful threads on all this.

Me, I think you are working up a construct when you had one insulted woman reacting.
0 Replies

Kimaya

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 02:08 am
@Linkat,
I not heard about it yet but ya weight matters when you travel through plane. Hope it not cost much.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:38:26