Camper experts help us, please

hamburger

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 01:55 pm
@Linkat,
linkat :

i see that you are only about 60 miles away from WELLS STATE PARK near sturbridge village . we spend a long weekend in the fall at sturbridge village - a wonderful experience - but not sure if your kids are at the right age to enjoy it .
hbg

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/well.htm

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 02:15 pm
@hamburger,
Actually that looks really nice for a weekend camping trip. My kids like to hike - we regularly hike through Blue Hills. They love swimming and fishing. Especially for the weekend type camping trips, I would prefer the camping without the frills - I only require shower and toliet facilities.

Thanks - I love the site - it is easy to use and easy to reserve.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:59 pm
I'm concerned about food. We only camp for two nights, but there are no facilities to buy ice for 20 miles...so my question is - can I feel safe taking food items that are frozen and thawing over the two day period? Also, what if I cook tofu wraps or chicken wraps a day in advance and refrigerate them...and then pack them on ice.... if I stir fry it a day or two later, will we die of some horrifically painful type of botulism? I was told as a Girl Scout that the slow thaw was a no - no - but, so was letting boys get to second base - and that was just a manipulative lie, frankly.

Any food ideas that don't require refrigeration OR a cooler would be greatly appreciated. We will probably get a small cooler - but if I can find actually good food that doesn't require a cooler, we'd prefer the space for other stuff. Thanks!
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 12:56 pm
@Lash,
Catch some fish - or I've heard some bugs are edible. Actually I'd bring a large cooler - two nights with some of the food frozen and with ice should be ok. Keep the cooler in the shade or in as cool an area as possible.

Or you could buy all that freeze-dried crap at REI.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 02:26 pm
@Lash,
skip the chicken and the tofu

this is the time to get very good at vegetarian meal prep - clean and pack the raw veggies - be prepared to spend time prepping the food

don't forget to pack some excessively well-wrapped hard cheeses

cheese/veggies/herbs/spices - you can eat well for a long time that way
0 Replies