My eye has been twitching for a month/problem?

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:46 pm
My eye has been twitching pretty much all the time for the last month or longer. Is this an issue? I've had eye twitches before, but usually for a couple of days or a week. Today it has been particularly increasing. I wonder if it is noticable.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 39,964 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:47 pm
Are you in front of a computer a lot?
Do you wear glasses?
If you wear glasses, how old are they?

I used to have an eye twitch, then I got glasses and it went away.

T
K
O
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:52 pm
@Diest TKO,
I am in front of the computer - I do not wear glasses.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:54 pm
@Linkat,
i thought you were winking at me Wink

it could be stress, you seem to have been dealing with some stress lately
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:56 pm
@djjd62,
Yes - it could very well be stress related.

I feel like I have been handling quite well lately, but maybe it is coming out through the eye twitch. I also have to watch myself because I have on occassion leaving work start talking to myself and realize in horror that I am muttering these things out loud.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 05:07 pm
@Linkat,
Little twitches, eye and otherwise, are often signs of stress.

There are a lot of jokes about actuarial twitches in particular.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:08 pm
@Linkat,
It's a sign of stress nd fatigue

In and of itself nothing to worry about, but the underlying stress and fatigue should cause concern if its continuous and lengthy.

You've indicated other symptoms, and there can be a lot more: insomnia, panic attacks, headaches etc.

If you can't change the source of your stress you can mitigate its effects.

Exercise works wonders as does meditation.

Take the best advice anyone can give you: Don't worry, be happy.

All the worry in the world will not change anything other than the quality of your life.

Easy to say; hard to do, but worth trying.
Izzie

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:23 pm
@Linkat,
Oh Linkat.... tired eyes gal. I get twitches and am so conscious of them but when I feel them twitching, if someone is there, I ask, and no-one has ever noticed... tho it does feel as tho you are winking at someone - embarrassingly so. Can be very unnerving in company. Shocked I went to the optician the other day because I get very tired and red eyes (say nothing DjjD) and he said too long at the computer and not enough blinking, damaging cornea (repairable with drops) etc and prescribed me eyedrops (well, they cost around £2) - HUGE DIFFERENCE! MASSIVE!

I used to have little tear ducts and had to have them opened up - one minute eyes didn't drain, and now, not enough tears (who knew).

Might be worth a go - eyedrops - but would still advise seeing an optician if its really bothering you. First thought is tired eyes tho.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 09:47 pm
@Linkat,
One way to find out if it's stress related or a physical problem is to find out if it twitches when you are asleep. You need a sleep observer.

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 12:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
At my previous job (several years ago) I used to get these horrible headaches " it got so bad I went to the doctors. He told me that I have ice pick headaches (not the medical name of course) which are in the migraine family " they get so intense that you just have to put your head down and wait until it passes. He also went on to say they are a result of stress and fatigue. Fortunately I have not had them again since I left that job.

I was having panic attacks about 6 or 9 months ago. Fortunately they are gone as I seem to be handling my stress better. I have been doing that don’t worry be happy sort of thing and when I start to feel stressed, I just say " I can’t control some of this stuff " I put a list together of things that need to be done and just prioritize them.

Funny the twitch was there just a little last night. Then I didn’t have it this morning. I had a meeting at 10:00 and that is where it began again.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 12:19 pm
@Izzie,
I am making a doctor’s appointment and maybe also an eye doctor too. It has been a while since I have had my eyes checked.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 12:21 pm
@rosborne979,
I have a solution for that - I will open my door so my cats come in (they love to sleep with me) - if something starts twitching, they will bat at it - if I wake with a paw in my eye then I know I twitch in my sleep.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:17 pm
@Izzie,
That's interesting - it could be a combo of stress and eye strain. I'm famous to myself for complicated eyes.. long story. Have taken something like eighteen kinds of eye drops along the way, now down to 3. My 'badder' eye has a lazy lid (but that's both unusual and quite visible), and that's the one that gets the expensive drops, which can be irritating. Plus I live in Dryville, USA. So, my ophtho gave me a list for things to do re dry eyes -

1) immediate help, warm a washcloth with hot water, keep eyes closed, apply washcloth, helps but not all that long lasting.
2) eyedrops - a company called GenTeal, which sells 3 strengths. (Not sure he named a company, can't find the paper immediately). I tried the middle one, it helps. Naturally the third strength is even more money.
3) flax seed and/or fish oil in diet - well, I eat a lot of fish and I hate fish oil capsules, too damn big, though if I remember I sometimes break a capsule and add it to, say, mashed potatoes. Do have flax seed in the cabinet, at rest, as it were.

Meantime, it's surgery day for the IZ...
hamburger

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:50 pm
@ossobuco,
osso wrote :

Quote:
Do have flax seed in the cabinet, at rest, as it were.

we have flaxseed (slightly toasted and crushed) with our cereal every morning .
it's very good for the "digestive system" too - don't want to be any more specific .
btw keep it in the freezer or fridge - it spoils easily .
hbg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Meantime, it's surgery day for the IZ...

she's been home a day or so, check out the yabber-liner
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:33 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I have a solution for that - I will open my door so my cats come in (they love to sleep with me) - if something starts twitching, they will bat at it - if I wake with a paw in my eye then I know I twitch in my sleep.

Would that be called a twitching eye cat?

Wink

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, thanks. Time variance..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:27 pm
@hamburger,
So, my flax seed died already? Well, phoo. May the bird of paradise...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:06 pm
I had the twitching eye deal when I started teaching; too much work and too little sleep, it went away when I settled in.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
@hamburger,
Interesting - maybe I will give it a shot.

I don't have the twitch today - but then I took the morning off to charperone my kid's field trip.
0 Replies