rainsoft system not using any salt

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:04 pm
we got our system 13 years ago and it has been okay. it is the computer controlled that uses block salt. i could not find a model number.
The system runs through the cycles but never puts any water into the salt tank. what would stop the water, is there a sensor that says the salt tank is full? could a valve be stuck? any hints on how to trouble shoot this?
I work with circuit boards at my job and get manuals from the manufacturers online. is there any way i can get one for my system?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 14,885 • Replies: 40

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@mstressman,

You have an obsolete Amazon Q softener and it sounds like it need all 5 O rings and
both shut off tabs replaced and lubed. I have never seen a manual for the board.

If you happen to be in NE Georgia I may be able to help you out.
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:33 am
@mstressman,
the most common problem with not putting water into the brine tank is the poppet under the triguard not sealing properly and allowing the triguard to fill back up. if the triguard is full of water when it's not regenerating, then that's the problem. BTW, there are only 3 orings on the piston of the q2's. 5 seals on the newer composite heads
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 05:35 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Joethewaterguy wrote:

the most common problem with not putting water into the brine tank is the poppet under the triguard not sealing properly and allowing the triguard to fill back up.
BTW, there are only 3 orings on the piston of the q2's. 5 seals on the newer composite heads

Joe,

There are 3 piston O rings and two tiny O rings on the brine injector.
The Tri-guard poppet is not the problem, old O rings are the problem.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:52 pm
@H2O MAN,
I haven't run into a problem with the orings being the cause of the brine tank not filling. I have run into the orings being the cause of no brine draw. How can you say that what I said was not the problem? Do you know if his triguard is filling up in service mode? If it's not an "e" version, it doesn't have the brine draw before fill written into the program. The other problem that I've found is that the 1/4 gpm restrictor is clogged. If so it needs unplugged.
Joe
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:17 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Don't forget about the shut off tabs that I mentioned earlier...

It's been my experience since 1988 that the O rings and shut off tabs are
the culprit so long as the valve motor is working and the pin is not sheared.

Check everything, but focus on the areas that I have mentioned.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:46 pm
@H2O MAN,
maybe the brine tab, but it usually keeps filling the brine tank till it overflows. I don't know why you keep saying it's not the poppet and triguard ? please explain, I'd like to know.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:57 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Because it's not the poppet the Tri guard sits on.
All the poppet does is stop brine draw once the ball drops.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:52 pm
@H2O MAN,
have to differ here, the ball stops the brine draw, the poppet stops the flow back up into the triguard, look at the manual that you wrote
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
are you that pissed at Rainsoft that you will actually give people incorrect info as to how to fix their systems?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:06 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
The ball does both.
Water pressure pushes it up against the embedded O ring on the top of the Tri-guard.
Gravity drops the ball down on top of the tip of the poppet forcing it down, the poppet has it's own
tiny O ring that seals against the Tri-guard when it's up and releases the seal when it's forced down.

What is the extent of your experience with BrainSoft systems?
Joethewaterguy

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:07 pm
@H2O MAN,
I realize I don't have the experience with Rainsoft that you do. Only 10 years, but , I do know that the ball doesn't hit the top of the poppet opening up the channel for a brine draw. The water flow through the injector creats a vacuum at the venturi drawing the poppet down and siphoning the water from the brine tank. On a q2, the poppet stops the flow of water back into the triguard.
The ball dropping creates a seal on the bottom of the triguard , with a little water, so that it doesn't keep sucking air. On the q2 version, the ball should remain at the bottom, on the AM series the ball should be at the top when the cycle is finnished. Q2 should have very little water in the brine tank and the am should have the brine tank ready for the next regen.
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
oh yeah, the ball shouldn't drop until the brine tank is empty, or as far down as the brine line is positioned.
0 Replies

mstressman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 05:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
Im sorry i did not reply i was looking in the wrong place for it.
what do the parts that you two are speaking of look like?
i decided to watch the system while it cycled. step 1 was about 10 minutes and no water came out of the hose. the clear plastic canister behind the control was a little over half full (or 2/5 empty if you look at things that way) before the time was up i decided to fill the tank myself to skip that cycle. when the next step started it did not take any water out; or any other steps, its still full.
I have switched the bypass until I can get it fixed.
i am in Michigan, any ideas of a repair service that will just fix it? I will not spend thousands of dollars that i do not have to replace a "lifetime guarantee" system. hey i saw the word "manual" in one of the replies, how does Mike get one? it would be much easier if I could know what the parts were and what they did.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 07:31 pm
@mstressman,

I can email you an exploded view of the mechanical valve.
The piston, brine injector and shut off valves are the same for the AM & AQ.

I will point out the parts once you have the drawing in hand.
mstressman

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 08:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
got the drawing, thanks!
so the o-rings are items 70,71 and74. can i use the drawing numbers as part numbers when i contact the dealer?
might i be able to get the parts from my plumber store?
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:30 pm
@mstressman,
it should be putting water into the brine tank on step one. it actually sounds like either the shear pin is sheared, or that the cam follower is cracked in half and not moving the piston . orings on the piston for both, is the cam follower still in one piece ? between the cams? silver looking thing that actually moves the piston? if so probably the shear pin needs replaced along with the orings on the piston
mstressman

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 06:56 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Joe, you seem to be pro-Rainsoft. i liked my system and would like to get it back to working order. when i calle the local service company they suggested i replace it. how do i get parts or a service person that will fix it? i am in Michigan.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 10:56 am
@mstressman,
call them back and tell them that you would be willing to pay for the service call, but that you can't see replacing it if it can be fixed. I't a lifetime warranty against defects, not gauranteed to never break. If the display is still lighting then "usually" the problem is in the moving parts, most of them covered under the warranty. If the display moves from one part of the cycle to the next, then my guess is the cam follower has cracked in half and is laying down between the cams. This is caused by the orings on the piston being stuck, same as the shear pin breaking. These parts are inexpensive and they should have the parts to fix it on a service call. Since you said "no water" running at any of the steps of the cycle, and "when the display moved to the next part" my bset guess is the cam follower and orings. I think that's what I read
Joe
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 06:31 pm
@Joethewaterguy,

All RainSoft controls built on brass valves became "defective" the same day BrainSoft made them obsolete.
Many of the repair parts are no longer in the distribution chain.

How does one apply a lifetime warranty against defects when the repair parts are no longer available?