Pork ribs, Annie..

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 09:46 pm
I have to write a recipe down before it disappears from my scope, thus the thread.

Today I thawed a package of pork loin back ribs.. and started looking up rubs and marinades.
I'm not all so experienced with rib cooking. I've roasted them twice before, once with some packet titled "chinese bbq" and last time with a package called "Shan" (I forget what else). Both of those from our local international market. I tend to like the items from that market. Fairly often they are not filled with noxious ingredients, and they are much less expensive than my local stores.

This time I thought I might do something with curry, and ran into this website --- http://www.peipork.pe.ca/ribs3.htm

However, my eye lit on the mediterranean "rub", since I had all those items.

I modified the recipe, naturally; cooked the ribs, and am very keen...

So, to get it written down,

oven at 325

- 6 fat cloves of garlic, minced fine
- I stripped a four inch stem of rosemary and cut the leaves up into tiny pieces
- smushed up a sturdy dried branch of sage. Let's guess a tablespoon.
- a teaspoon of salt
- coated that with many turns of black pepper
- peel of one lemon in slivers

mixed that all up and patted it on top of the ribs in a glass baking dish.

dribbled olive oil over the mass of stuff on top of the ribs

baked for 45 minutes at 325, dribbled on a little red wine

baked another 35 minutes.

Yikes, really delicious. Best yet.

Now to freeze in packets of two ribs each.

Rib recipes, anyone?

(Beats Rudy's)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,817 • Replies: 1
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 07:25 am
that rub, it looked acceptable with the only wexception of the sage. Im a bit of a purist on ribs. The onliest way I want them done is with a rub that is low on salt and not too heavy with overwhelming spices (no cumin, sage, 5 spice, or cloves) anything else in combination is good. The rub is merelya way to barbecue or slow cook ( which should only be done if there is a major blizzard with 5 ft of snow around the wood burning pit).

The final half hour on the pit is when i mop with several different thin sauces (I like Piedmont Carolina or KC style ).

Im not much on baby back ribs if push came to shove. I like good ole spare ribs they are more variable in their presentation and their taste is usually more "porky". Its the same thing wioth steaks, filets are very tender but tasteless, while a good porterhouse is wewhere the flavor is.

I actually dont use a reipe for my rubs. I usually make about 5 pounds of the stuff and work off it for several months.

GArlic powder ABpout 1 jar)
sugar .1/2 cup
salt,1/8 cup
pepper 1/8 cup
hot pepper powder, 2T(I use Mombasa)
paprika 1/8 cup

This is pretty much it .I rub it on night before and let the rub sit on the meat before barbecuing. At the end I put on the sauces , usually watered down so that Im not putting on a thick mass of sugar syrup. I like STubbs Sauces and I look to see whether there is NO CORN SYRUP in the mix. Everything seems to have corn syrup in it and that pisses me off. Ive noted that several friends and their kids are allergic to corn syrup in some degree or another.
0 Replies