Buckwheat: noodles, soba, pizzoccheri

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 06:50 pm
Bitten has a recipe, on the 29th, for pizzoccheri (what? -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzoccheri) and as it happens, I've all the ingredients at hand, even though I'd not heard of it. I have buckwheat flour too, as I'd read about buckwheat crepes recently and thought, ok, I'll try this flour. I get more venturesome re the basic products as I move away from money purchases.

I need to check out what buckwheat is, for sure, as we had/have a chapparal plant with that name in california.

I've totally missed soba noodles, even though I loved the movie Tampopo - I've missed the recent popularity of japanese noodle shops, or cooking with them myself.

Here's the Bitten blog pizzoccheri link - a winter vegetable and noodles dish.
I haven't studied it, or read the comments on the blog post yet.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/dining/31mini.html?ref=dining

I'll make the noodles myself, to try it out, but I'm guessing one can play with purchased soba noodles..

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,095 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 07:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Mark Bittman's (Bitten blog) Pizzoccheri recipe ---

Pizzoccheri
By MARK BITTMAN
Published: December 29, 2008
Time: 30 minutes

1 stick butter ( 1/4 pound)
4 fresh sage leaves
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1 medium potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small head Savoy cabbage, trimmed and thinly sliced
1/2 pound flat, broad buckwheat noodles (pizzoccheri) or whole wheat noodles
1 cup fontina Val d’Aosta (or other good semisoft) cheese, grated
1 cup Parmesan, grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups homemade bread crumbs.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter with sage and garlic until butter turns nut-brown; be careful not to burn sage leaves. Set aside.

2. Cook potato and cabbage in boiling water until they begin to soften, just 5 minutes or so. Add pasta to same pot and continue to cook until pasta is nearly done. Drain.

3. In a large oven-proof dish, spread a layer of vegetable-pasta combination, then a layer of grated fontina, then a layer of grated Parmesan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue this layering until all ingredients are used, ending with a layer of Parmesan; ideally you will have four layers of each. Cover dish with bread crumbs and drizzle with melted butter and sage (discard garlic). Bake for about 15 minutes, or until top is golden-brown and cheese has melted. Serve hot or warm.

Yield: 3 to 4 servings.

photo by Evan Sung --
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/12/31/dining/31mini.600.jpg

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 07:48 pm
That looks good, osso!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 07:51 pm
@msolga,
I, of course, would never discard garlic.
msolga

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 07:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Absolutely not! Perish the thought, osso! Wink
0 Replies