Top 5 Things You Look for in an Employer

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:03 pm
I am writing a report on employee motivation for a college course and one of the suggestions the professor made was to conduct a survey about the topic. So, though it may be informal, I was wondering if people would not mind posting the 5 things they find most important right now...the things that would make them want to work somewhere, stay there, and do a good job for the company. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 71,488 • Replies: 13
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:52 pm
Remuneration (not as in how much money, but how much work for the money)
Interesting, changing work.
Employer has good reputation for innovation and quality in its industry.
Small/non-existent commute
Flexible leave and working hours.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:48 pm
What I most want in a boss:

1. Someone who will give me definite instructions on what result he/she wants and will then leave me alone to get it done without micromanaging every step.
2. Someone who will allow me to use my skill sets and creativity so that the job remains interesting and doesn't settle into tedium.
3. Someone with a sense of humor and sufficient competence to manage the business efficiently and effectively.
4. Someone who allows flexibility of schedule to accommodate the existing work--allows longer hours to get a project done but then allows time off when the work load is light.
5. Someone I can respect and who won't wind up on the front page of the newspaper in an unflattering manner.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:22 pm
Are we talking about boss (as in supervisor) or company (as in the folks who sign the paycheck)?
NickFun

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:28 pm
#1 on the list is money. Lots and lots of money. As long as I get #1 I don't give a damn about the other 4.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
1. Their checks don't bounce.
2. Low employee turnover rate
3. Good reputation in the industry
4. Technologically current
5. Good training and communication processes
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:02 pm
I like:

a) fun, challenging, dynamic atmosphere
b) sense of family among everyone
c) ethical behaviour
d) sense of fairness in that everyone pulls their weight and you get credit for what you contribute
e) appropriate pay and benefits for the work you do
hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:50 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Signature
I'm naked.

What? Under your clothes?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:33 pm
1. An employer that provides appropriate compensation
2. An employer that allows the freedom to do the job without micromanagement (I'll do WAY more than required if you leave me alone)
3. An employer that encourages creativity
4. An employer that listens to and implements good suggestions, giving proper credit and praise for the suggestion,
5. An employer that respects the employees as shown through all of the above.
0 Replies

wmp

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:43 pm
@libertydawn,
1. "green" company
2. commute time
3. competitive pay
4. respectable leadership
5. employee morale
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 05:23 am
In no particular order:
1) Company fiscal soundness (I've lost jobs due to company bankruptcies, mergers and buyouts before)
2) Compensation
3) Commute/ability to work at home at least a bit (Winters here can be brutal, and commuting by car stinks; I'll tolerate public transportation a lot better, fortunately there are a lot of choices here)
4) Interesting, challenging work
5) Opportunities for advancement
NickFun

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:25 am
@jespah,
I think compensation should be at the top. It doesn't matter how fiscally sound a company is if you're only making 9 bucks an our.
hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 05:33 pm
@NickFun,
Unless you're making nine bucks an hour to surf the net, run your own business, and drink good coffee in an office full of funny sexy people... (and you got stock options...)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 06:40 pm
@NickFun,
That would be why I said in no particular order ... Wink
0 Replies