Whittling Knives - what kind and where to buy?

mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:23 am
I am a bit embarrassed to be asking this - it seems such a simple question. My boys are in Cub Scouts and are going to start a whittling project. I have never paid attention to knives before (other than culinary) and just wondered where I can get them and what kind is the best to get? Are they called Whittling Knives? Or is just a plain old pocket knife sufficient for 2 eight year old boys?

Thanks,
mis
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 26,139 • Replies: 27
No top replies

mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:34 am
@mismi,
I googled...I think that I should have done that first - sorry -

I think I can get just a plain old pocket knife at Walmart that will do for the boys. But if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it, seeing as I have never whittled before.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:37 am
@mismi,
I have a tiny lock blade made by Schrade known as the Uncle Henry. I love it. The only thing that would make it better would be a larger guard, to prevent the hand from moving forward and sliding down the blade.

I carry that little knife everywhere I go. I lost it once for two years and was delighted to find in an overstuffed chair while searching for a lost remote.

The LB-3:

http://www.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/Schrade-LB3-rw-15094-26268.jpg
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:45 am
@cjhsa,
thanks cjhsa - when you say a larger guard - do you mean the handle that sheaths the blade? This would be important to me since they are so young.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:58 am
@mismi,
There are special whittling knives on the market (at least, I know that they are produced [and sold] here in Germany), some especially for children [e.g. with rounder blade heads]).

I suppose, you can find them in any arts & craft/hobby shop.
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks Walter - I will start looking in those.
cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:20 am
@mismi,
Here's a nifty folding knife in a very modern design. That little lip on the lower front of the handle is the blade guard:

http://www.countryknives.com/store/assets/product_images/CR5112.jpg
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:41 am
@cjhsa,
I see what you are talking about now cjhsa - that is also good to know. Thank you! I have a good idea about what will work for the boys - HUGE help

thank you both!
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:49 am
@mismi,
I think for kids, something like this is more appropriate
http://www.lafueliki.de/produkte/large/4065.jpg

0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:49 am
@mismi,
There are lots of specialty knives made for wood carving...

Here are some at one vendor
wood carving knives

Also try Rockler and see what they have.
Local craft stores might also have some.
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@parados,
Thanks Jane, thanks parados...those are exactly what I was thinking - I like the bigger handles for little hands to hold easier, Jane. When they are older we can get them a regular pocket knife...They are not quite ready to carry a pocket knife around yet, I was going to have to get them back for safe keeping after their den meeting.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:10 am
@mismi,
Yes, I would collect them afterwards too, and I would be a nervous wreck while
they use it. It's not easy being an innocent bystander as a Mom.
cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:12 am
@CalamityJane,
When I was a cub scout a knife with a sheath, held on your belt, was standard issue.

Unreal what has happened to our way of thinking.
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:13 am
@CalamityJane,
HA! Well - they have this nifty little oath they take about how to use their knives and their Dad, who is more of a mother hen than I am will be with them, thankfully. I will be glad when they are home and the knives are in my lock box in the closet though!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:13 am
@cjhsa,
Yeah but look what became of you!
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:17 am
@cjhsa,
Isn't it though? A shame what has become of the world in general cjhsa...lot of things happen now that didn't, or at least weren't heard of as much when you were a cub scout. My boys will be juuuuust fine.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:17 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Yeah but look what became of you!

You mean being a successful IT professional who also enjoys the outdoors and making left leaning people really nervous?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:19 am
@mismi,
One piece of advice: don't buy the kids any sort of a folding knife which doesn't have a mechanism to lock the blade in place, for whittling.

I favor the little CRKT M16 knife for hunting and it could be used for whittling if you were so inclined; about $40 on most internet sites on which it's sold.
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:23 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
One piece of advice: don't buy the kids any sort of a folding knife which doesn't have a mechanism to lock the blade in place, for whittling.

that makes good sense - thanks gungasnake
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:18 pm
Gunga is right on. I do a lt of woodcarving with power and whittling. I use Cape Forge and Deepwoods brand knives. They have nice thick handles and they can be drawn toward you with no fear of a lockback "giving".

Woodcarving has gone from using small blade pen knoves to fixed blades specially designed for safety.
Only caution is that the carving knives are not held and whittled away from the body (you cant get much control and its more dangerous to be whittling towaed the hand holding the wood). Carving knives can be used with holding the wood or by having the wood helf fast in a vise.

Good luck and, no matter what, make sure they listen to all the safety rules.

Do you have a Woodcrafters Shop in your area? The guys that work at woodcrafters are usually well versed in their tools and you may find that somebody on staff is a carver.