What is there to do in Guatemala City?

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 01:20 pm
Off to take Penny to Guatemala City tomorrow, as per usual I have nothing planned (not even hotel) so if any of you have any experience in Guatemala City and have hotel recommendations, restaurant recommendations and anything else like that please let me know.

I fly in tomorrow, and leave on Sunday, so I don't want to travel outside of Guatemala City.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,297 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 02:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I haven't been there since, ah, 1973..
but, we stayed in a place that had been an old convent somewhere mid city (no idea now what neighborhood) and it was great and not expensive. But then I like old places.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ask c.i. He's been everywhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 03:02 pm
This site - which you've probably already looked at - seems chock full of useful info re Guatemala City itself, especially if you scroll down: http://wikitravel.org/en/Guatemala_City

I nosed around a bit online and most sites seem to do with Antigua, Panajachel, Chi Chi, yadda yadda.

Lots of comments about G. City being dangerous. Uh. I don't remember that, but I've something of a high tolerance re what a lot of travelers think of as "bad", though I wasn't in-city very long and it was a long time ago.

Don't see a lot online re a variety of hotels, though most of the "usual suspects" are listed, re big chain types. There must be more...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 03:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Oops, some places to stay listed on the wikitravel site - I hadn't scrolled that far.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:58 am
Did it my usual way, landed without any plans for hotels. Unlike my usual traveling style I decided to travel even lighter than my norm (just a laptop case with an extra change of clothes and a laptop).

I was expecting to find the usual big hotels with reservation desks in the airport but I didn't see any of those so I did what I did in Panama and Nicaragua: just find a taxi, and figure it out on the fly.

I wanted internet access so that I could work during the trip, so I went with a famous name (Holiday Inn) which turned out to be walking distance from a lot of restaurants as it's in the "lively zone" (where the nightlife is).

Anyway, upon arriving here I no longer need an answer to my question. I was expecting a bigger Managua but this is a nice thriving metropolis with a lot to offer. I'm still looking for a place to get a photo of Penny but otherwise I'm sure there are plenty of great restaurants that can keep me entertained for the short time I'll be here.

If I had known what the city was like, I'd have booked more time.
roger

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:17 am
@Robert Gentel,
Keep in mind that Penny is a very young hampster, while exploring that "lively zone".
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:34 am
@roger,
Penny is confined to the hotel except for her photo shoot (whenever I figure out where that's going to be). But I'm not much for partying anyway, so she's not missing much (except maybe good eats).
dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Penny is confined to the hotel except for her photo shoot (whenever I figure out where that's going to be). But I'm not much for partying anyway, so she's not missing much (except maybe good eats).

Heh heh! Wuss!

I walked through the centre of the city with Penny on my hand on a busy Sunday, because I was late and wanted to get photos quickly.

She was actually a real ice breaker.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:52 am
@dlowan,
I'm not ashamed of her, I'm just paranoid of anything happening to her and like to travel light. She won't fit in a pocket or anything without being crushed (and she looks pretty beat up from her travels) and I just don't want to carry her around everywhere.
dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
Fair enough.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
Will be interested in any comments on the city - meantime, glad you like it, that's heartening after all the negative or semi negative comments on travel sites/guatemala I looked at.
0 Replies