AFGHANISTAN - A LESSON 200 YEARS OLD

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 08:00 pm
Quote:

It's braver to quit Afghanistan now

Peter Preston
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 21 November 2010 21.59 GMT

If the date for withdrawal from Afghanistan is fixed at the end of 2014 then our soldiers may be dying for nothing.

Let's do what any smart politician does, and reach for the latest polling results. About 92% of young Afghan men in Kandahar and Helmand provinces (via a sample of 1,000 interviewed by researchers from the International Council on Security and Development, with an extra 500 respondents from northern areas of the country) know nothing about 9/11. Mention the twin towers and all you get is blank looks. And 43% can't find anything good to say about democracy, either.

Forty per cent think Nato forces are there "to destroy Islam" (or Afghanistan itself); 61% believe that Afghan national security forces won't be able to cope without international support; 56% suspect that Afghan policemen are helping the Taliban, and 25% reckon they'll join them in the end. The equivalent figures for national army soldiers are 39% helping the enemy and 30% switching sides when that's possible.

Now, the news since the last bout of similar polling a few months ago isn't all bleak. Rather greater numbers are backing Nato to win in the end. But that was before the great and good of the alliance met in Lisbon this weekend and decided, after a fashion, to designate 31 December 2014 as "the end" in question. It's a firm "deadline", according to David Cameron – or a "provisional" and "aspirational" one, according Nato's secretary-general, who seems curiously concerned that "conditions have to be right" to let the boys come home.

Of course people talking to pollsters only express opinions rather than facts. Of course circumstances can change. Of course Mr Cameron and, indeed, Barack Obama – both of whom need Afghanistan's long, bitter war over before they face their electorates again – may be right to set a timetable. But can we pause for a moment, draw a deep breath – and not laugh out loud.

Presumably the Taliban have been consulted, diaries in hand, and circled various windows of opportunity for surrender. Presumably Osama bin Laden has rubber-stamped the agreement. And perhaps Mullah Omar's nod to join Hamid Karzai in coalition – with Omar as deputy prezza and a deal on tuition fees for ex-insurgent students – hasn't received quite the publicity it merits.

But let's not be too blinkered as we look at the panoply of Cameron/Clegg deadlines. Growth surging by New Year's Day 2015? The Irish economy turning tiger again? Bin Laden up on trial in the Hague? Labour down to 15% in more conventional polls?

If you set the right schedule, excluding factors you can't control, then naturally such achievements are "very doable" (as the head of Britain's armed forces says of the PM's pledges). Anything can be realistic (in the view of our most senior general in Afghanistan) if you leave realism out of the equation.

Politics always dictates its own version of realism, to be sure. Mr Obama needs withdrawal targets to keep General David Petraeus on some kind of leash. Mr Cameron, remembering how the top brass bullied Gordon Brown, probably wants to keep Sir David Richards busy doing the do-able. Getting out of Helmand and quitting Kabul equals votes at home. Democracy may not enthuse 43% of Afghans, but it rules the roost back in Whitehall and Washington.

Yet things don't look like that in the killing fields. Out there, to the Taliban, Lisbon timetables have no meaning (except to nominate a time of opportunity). Out there, any notional dates on year planners may be dust and delusion one blast later. You can't be categoric in conditions like these. And if you're forced to be "firm", then there's really only one conclusion: that the men who die between now and 2015 may well die for nothing. That, if you want to get out, then do what is always do-able if you're brave enough: just get out now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/nov/21/quit-afghanistan-2014-soldiersCommentary from yesterday's Guardian :UK):
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:38 pm
@msolga,
The best question to Obama yet; why are our soldiers dying in Afghanistan if we know we're pulling out later? Are the deaths between now and then less important? How about the money being spent on that war? More important than feeding and supporting our own citizens?

Can Obama make a guarantee to everybody (including Afghans) that Afghanistan will be better when we leave in 2014?
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 04:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. :
remember what president obama said :

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/11/20/1432282/obama-us-role-in-afghanistan-unclear.html

Quote:

LISBON, Portugal – President Barack Obama says it's "hard to anticipate" the exact U.S. role in Afghanistan beyond 2014.

GOOD LUCK FOR A 2014 PULLOUT !

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 04:59 pm
@failures art,
"Work with the Afghan government.."

Really?

Conveniently vague and predictably skirts the issue.

What if the Afghan government is the Taliban and they are allowing the country to be a launching pad as they did before we invaded?

How do you propose that we work with them on something only we believe to be a problem. Bribe them with cash and arms? Agree to remain silent on their human rights violations?

If the US and NATO pull out tomorrow, the Taliban will become the Afghan "government," and they will owe no allegiance to the US and have little reason to fear us.

You have anti-war tunnel vision Diest.

Vietnam is not a legitimate analogy. Pulling out of Vietnam was never going to have the same consequences as pulling out of Afghanistan tomorrow will.

As it turned out, Vietnam's post-war aggression was limited to Cambodia and the insane Pol Pot regime. They were never a direct threat to America but if they had embarked on a campaign to establish military dominance in the region they would have had to draw the attention of then President Carter, and he would not have been the first liberal to become a hawk when push came to shove.

Edgar recognizes that a real threat from Afghanistan exists that can't be met with vague assurances of working things out.

And the idiotic notion, which you seem to believe is spot on, that we need to just stop doing things that other people think are bad and eventually (after we take our deserved lumps) we'll be OK is the mark of a fool.

Obama was one of you and you loved him for it. Now that he has responsibility for the safety of our nation, he has parted ways. It can't be that he knows more than you do, it must be that he has been co-opted by the War-Mongers.

As for Afghanistan being more of a terrorist base now than it was pre-invasion, that is simply ridiculous, and you embarrass yourself in asserting it.
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:03 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Retaliation is a term that can be justified by anyone who wants to. You're asserting justification again. This is incorrect. More important, it's a perpetual argument that only justifies further violence by all those involved.

It's odd, Art, that you only raise this "concern" with me. There have been many many here who have spoken of the "justified response" both against Iraq and Afghanistan, where hundreds of thousands have died all because of lies and illegal actions by the USA.

Even with Finn, who is a good example of the above, you're prancing around the issue.

And what makes it even more odd is that I'm only pointing out the reality that retaliation will happen, it has to happen.
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What if the Afghan government is the Taliban and they are allowing the country to be a launching pad as they did before we invaded?

The US didn't give a rat's ass all thru the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Quote:
How do you propose that we work with them on something only we believe to be a problem. Bribe them with cash and arms? Agree to remain silent on their human rights violations?

If the US and NATO pull out tomorrow, the Taliban will become the Afghan "government," and they will owe no allegiance to the US and have little reason to fear us.

How can this rank hypocrisy go on and no one calls Finn on it? Really, what the **** is wrong with you people? You spent a fortune bribing them before all the while not caring one iota about the large number of innocent men, women and children who died because of your sordid machinations.

"Agree to remain silent on their human rights violations?", now that's really ******* rich. The Taliban could stay in power for a hundred years and they wouldn't begin to approach the number of human rights violations committed by the USA. Remember, you're at some 3 to 4 million just for Vietnam and SE Asia.

Quote:

You have US propaganda induced tunnel vision. I'd say that Art is anti-war crimes. He just doesn't state that case, which is supported by voluminous facts, as openly as he should. But he's hardly alone there.

Quote:
Vietnam is not a legitimate analogy. Pulling out of Vietnam was never going to have the same consequences as pulling out of Afghanistan tomorrow will.

As it turned out, Vietnam's post-war aggression was limited to Cambodia and the insane Pol Pot regime. They were never a direct threat to America but if they had embarked on a campaign to establish military dominance in the region they would have had to draw the attention of then President Carter, and he would not have been the first liberal to become a hawk when push came to shove.

Vietnam and much of the attendant evil was caused by the US illegally invading Vietnam.

Quote:
Edgar recognizes that a real threat from Afghanistan exists that can't be met with vague assurances of working things out.

Well, that settles it, then, doesn't it? Afghanistan was never a threat. Afghans don't want to come over and attack the USA. They just want you scumsuckers to get the **** out of their country, to stop playing with their lives and treasure. That the same for the people of Iraq. They want the war criminals out.

Quote:
And the idiotic notion, which you seem to believe is spot on, that we need to just stop doing things that other people think are bad and eventually (after we take our deserved lumps) we'll be OK is the mark of a fool.

Those "bad things" are war crimes, Finn, pure and simple. The US has taken actions that are no different than those of Nazi Germany and Japan. War crimes that they committed are war crimes for the USA too. You don't get a special dispensation because you constantly brag about what nice caring folks you are.

The only fool here is you, and maybe Edgar, though it's hard to tell exactly what it is he means.

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

"Work with the Afghan government.."

Really?

Conveniently vague and predictably skirts the issue.

If a sovereign people democratically elect somebody, is your stance that the USA should prevent it?

As long as we assume the role of Afghan security, the longer we are the enemy, and the longer the Taliban can exploit the real economic woes of the people.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

How about we work on adopting fair trade policies in the USA so that we aren't handicapping developing nations (like Afghanistan's) economy. Your tunnel vision is that all things must be solved with the military and in your non-solution we simply just occupy these countries forever and ever. At what point exactly is Afghanistan exit-able in your mind?

Afghanistan needs legitimate industry and commerce, not arms deals.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Precious Finn, let's be clear. They will never owe the US anything. Not tomorrow, or next week, or two decades from now. They will always have a reason to fear us.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Because you say so, Finn. I'm not a pacifist, and my objection to our occupation of these countries does not make me one.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't recall bringing up Vietnam, but okay, it works. If Vietnam was never going to be a threat to the USA, why were we there? Afghanistan wasn't a threat to us either. Your "launch pad" argument implicates an entire nation for the efforts of such an exclusive few. It's dishonest, and costly.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

So whether it's tomorrow or 2014 or 2024 or 2110 we shouldn't be holding out for assurances of things working out? Interesting... So why not leave tomorrow if their is no greater assurance now than in 100 years?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't subscribe to the institution of retribution. People will find a reason to hate anyone if they want to. Forget for a second how others feel about what we do, and think about how you feel about what we do. There is no such thing as "okay." Terrorism as always existed and will always exist. I'm not hold out for some world where it doesn't exist and so I'm not willing to pay such a high moral price for virtually no gain in security.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Obama was one of you and you loved him for it. Now that he has responsibility for the safety of our nation, he has parted ways. It can't be that he knows more than you do, it must be that he has been co-opted by the War-Mongers.

He's luke warm on following through, that's for sure. GOP certainly has made it their goal to undermine everything he does. Certainly the politics they are playing with START right now is evident of their politics before security values. We've still got way too many troops in Iraq, but I am glad to see boot off the soil. I'm not sure if the US/NATO talk in Afghanistan is strategic or just directionless at the moment, but I'm feel it's the latter currently. I do think that global dialogs about leaving Afghanistan have been lacking so even though little development came from this, it did get media attention and light is being cast on the pink elephant in the room.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As for Afghanistan being more of a terrorist base now than it was pre-invasion, that is simply ridiculous, and you embarrass yourself in asserting it.

You're not on my level, so I can't foul you for your misunderstanding. Tell me Finn, where do you get you intel? Laughing Laughing Laughing

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:02 pm
@JTT,
I don't just mention it just to you JTT. If I cared to waste my time with okie, ican, H20man, etc, you'd hear it a lot more. I don't believe 9/11 justified either invasion/war. You're being selective and making it about you. I'm not singling you out JTT.

JTT wrote:
And what makes it even more odd is that I'm only pointing out the reality that retaliation will happen, it has to happen.

emphasis added

While, I agree that retaliation will often happen, where we will always disagree is that it must happen. This is crux of our disagreement JTT.

A
R
T
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:23 am
This is absolutely bizarre.:

Quote:

Taliban impostor stuns US, NATO

November 24, 2010

FOR months, the secret talks unfolding between Taliban and Afghan leaders to end the war appeared to be showing promise, if only because of the repeated appearance of a certain insurgent leader at one end of the table: Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour, one of the most senior commanders in the Taliban movement.

But now, it turns out, Mansour was apparently not Mansour at all. In an episode that could have been lifted from a spy novel, US and Afghan officials now say that the Afghan man was an impostor and that high-level discussions conducted with the assistance of NATO appear to have achieved little

''It's not him,'' said a Western diplomat intimately involved in the discussions. ''And we gave him a lot of money.''

US officials confirmed on Monday that they had given up hope that the Afghan was Mansour or even a member of the Taliban leadership.

NATO and Afghan officials said they held three meetings with the man, who travelled from across the border in Pakistan, where Taliban leaders have taken refuge. The fake Taliban leader even met President Hamid Karzai, having been flown to Kabul on a NATO aircraft and ushered into the presidential palace, officials said.

The episode underscores the uncertain and even bizarre nature of the atmosphere in which Afghan and US leaders search for ways to bring the nine-year-old US-led war to an end. The leaders of the Taliban are believed to be hiding in Pakistan, possibly with the assistance of the Pakistani government, which receives billions of dollars in US aid....<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/world/taliban-impostor-stuns-us-nato-20101123-185mw.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:18 pm
@failures art,
If we pull our troops out tomorrow the Taliban will conquer Afghanistan, they won't be freely elected to rule the country.

However, let's say that is exactly what happens, and they resume stoning and mutilating women, executing homosexuals, and in all ways imposing a theocratic dictatorship, you've been clear in your position that we should not stick our noses in their business. I think that's morally indefensible but one can make an isolationist argument that it makes political sense.

The German elections that allowed the Nazis to come into power were far more free than any that will result in the Taliban resuming power.

Yet what, if as they did in the past, allow Islamist terrorists to use Afghanistan as a base of operation in their war against America. Are you really suggesting that we can do nothing about it because they were elected by Afghans?

And let's say Karzai's government stays in power and yet is too ineffective to keep terrorists from using the country as a base of operations (see Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan) how, specifically, do you suggest we "help" his government with this "problem?"

Will you be OK with a deal similar to what Obama has cut with Yemen, which allows us to send Predators after the bad guys, and which, unquestionably, has led to the deaths of innocents?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:26 pm
@failures art,
"Adopting fair trade practices?"

Do your Union friends know you want to sell them down the river for peace?

And that's all the Taliban want in return for not allowing our existential enemies safe have in their country?

But then maybe you're right, I'm too crusty and cynical to appreciate the Taliban only care about the welfare of the Afghan people.

Do you have any idea how naive you are?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:38 pm
@failures art,
You think my "launchpad argument" implicates and entire nation and is "dishonest and costly."

So what was the proper alternative?

Afghanistan absolutely represented a threat to the US, because it's government allowed al-Qaeda to use it as a base of operations.

Are you you really arguing that it could could only have been a direct threat to us if it had attempted to invade us?

What was the proper response Diest?

You keep ducking the issue.

After 9/11 we should have offered the Taliban a free trade deal and infrastructure investment?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:52 pm
@failures art,
So you're blaming the war-mongering of your Mahdi on the GOP?

Is there anything worse than being "luke-warm" about sending Americans to a foreign land to die?

Diest, you just delivered one of the most damning criticisms of Obama that I have ever seen.

As for your final comment, I tend to find that there is an inverse relationship between the number of smileycons used and a poster's confidence in their position.

The US has experienced three actual attacks during Obama's presidency (one succeeded, and two failed). All three are traced to Yemen, not Afghanistan.

You no doubt wish to trot out the same tired argument that our anti-terrorist efforts are creating terrorists, but even if this is the case, they're not using Afghanistan as their launching pad. It's pretty tough to when there are American troops on the ground.

You've embarrassed yourself yet again and you don't even realize it.
failures art

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If we pull our troops out tomorrow the Taliban will conquer Afghanistan, they won't be freely elected to rule the country.

What will be different in 2014? 2o24? 2110?

Is your solution that we stay there forever? What about the desires of the people of Afghanistan? They want us to leave. Why is your concern on this matter more important than theirs?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

However, let's say that is exactly what happens, and they resume stoning and mutilating women, executing homosexuals, and in all ways imposing a theocratic dictatorship, you've been clear in your position that we should not stick our noses in their business. I think that's morally indefensible but one can make an isolationist argument that it makes political sense.

It's not isolationist Finn. I have no issue helping other nations, but let them ask for it. The solution cannot be that the US/NATO is Afghanistan's permanent security force.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The German elections that allowed the Nazis to come into power were far more free than any that will result in the Taliban resuming power.

You can't see the future Finn, and we can't be basing our policies off this kind of paranoid forecast.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yet what, if as they did in the past, allow Islamist terrorists to use Afghanistan as a base of operation in their war against America. Are you really suggesting that we can do nothing about it because they were elected by Afghans?

Earth to Finn, Pakistan is the base of operations! They are crossing the border. This does not mean we need to go to war with Pakistan! I've never said that we can do nothing, but your idiotic think with your gun mentality has left little room for real problem solving because you assume that any... every solution comes from invasion and occupation.

A look a the world's empires and their occupied states should tell you how stupid you're being here.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And let's say Karzai's government stays in power and yet is too ineffective to keep terrorists from using the country as a base of operations (see Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan) how, specifically, do you suggest we "help" his government with this "problem?"

We let them ask for help, and tell us how they want help. We stop imposing our agenda, and let them decide what is best for their country. They want security just as bad as us. More so in fact.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Will you be OK with a deal similar to what Obama has cut with Yemen, which allows us to send Predators after the bad guys, and which, unquestionably, has led to the deaths of innocents?

I'm not a fan of drones, but it's better than outright occupation.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

"Adopting fair trade practices?"

Do your Union friends know you want to sell them down the river for peace?

My union friends advocate the same thing here Finn, unions for all workers not just american ones. Unions are about protecting laborers in the workplace, not protecting the USA.

Nobody I've met here in DC, and I've met plenty from AFL-CIO and SEIU have ever advocated otherwise.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And that's all the Taliban want in return for not allowing our existential enemies safe have in their country?

Open the aperture Finn. Free trade is global thinking. Forget what the Taliban wants, and think about what people need.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

But then maybe you're right, I'm too crusty and cynical to appreciate the Taliban only care about the welfare of the Afghan people.

Do you have any idea how naive you are?

What about what the people want? The people are concerned with their own welfare. You think that the US is concern with the welfare of the people more than the Taliban. Hardly.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You think my "launchpad argument" implicates and entire nation and is "dishonest and costly."

So what was the proper alternative?

Acknowledging that the people who have paid the price aren't the people who pose a threat. We've given the Taliban a huge means to gain local sympathy, and we've played into the religious war rhetoric they promote.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Afghanistan absolutely represented a threat to the US, because it's government allowed al-Qaeda to use it as a base of operations.

So Pakistan poses a greater threat to us then now? You've got no plan.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Are you you really arguing that it could could only have been a direct threat to us if it had attempted to invade us?

No. I'm saying you don't declare Marshall law in NYC because a murderer is on the loose. You work to keep people safe. You offer no promises, because there are none.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

What was the proper response Diest?

We rebuild, and work on our domestic security. You offer no promises, because there are none.

What response do you expect from the Afghan's?

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 07:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Is there anything worse than being "luke-warm" about sending Americans to a foreign land to die?

Yeah. Killing hundreds of thousands of people for no reason. Our soldiers are put in jeopardy no doubt, but the jeopardy they face does not compare with the people of Afghanistan.

As for lukewarm, thanks to the GOP they have real shitty body armor and vehicles too. As for lukewarm, thanks to the GOP we;re screwing the DVA as well.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Diest, you just delivered one of the most damning criticisms of Obama that I have ever seen.

Who cares?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As for your final comment, I tend to find that there is an inverse relationship between the number of smileycons used and a poster's confidence in their position.

You "tend" to believe a lot of bullshit. Your opinion noted.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The US has experienced three actual attacks during Obama's presidency (one succeeded, and two failed). All three are traced to Yemen, not Afghanistan.

You're cherry picking. Also, as for where you're headed with this Yemen bit, you realize we have a lot of military personnel in Yemen right?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You no doubt wish to trot out the same tired argument that our anti-terrorist efforts are creating terrorists, but even if this is the case, they're not using Afghanistan as their launching pad. It's pretty tough to when there are American troops on the ground.

You've embarrassed yourself yet again and you don't even realize it.

It's not that tough to do when troops are on the ground. A $50 dollar IDE takes out a $200,000 military vehicle. That's some hard math to justify in your shoes.

A
R
T
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Yes, there is something much much worse, that is sending US troops to commit war crimes but that so commonplace for y'all that it hardly registers.

But this is simply another piece of the propaganda stream. [big whiny voice] American boys are dying. They're dying to protect our freedoms.

What a crock of sour owl manure!

Really, why should care about Americans getting killed by those who are simply trying to rid their lands of foreign war criminals. You never mention all the Afghan/Iraq sons and daughters, husbands and wives, aunts and uncles, grandmothers and grandfathers being murdered by these marauding bands of war criminals.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Stop worrying about your own country. Count all the attacks on others that have been perpetrated by the USA; 50,000 in Nicaragua, 3 or 4 million in Vietnam/SE Asia, ... .
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 12:45 am
@JTT,
JTT, Quit wasting your time and energy trying to convince most Americans that all terrorism originates only from other countries. Even the GW Bush shock and awe campaign in Iraq is already forgotten. Americans are good at showing total blindness to all of our aggression and killings in other countries.