Favorite Hotdog Toppings

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:54 am
@Diest TKO,
I think I'm going to have to have a hot dog or two for lunch.

No bun. Rhubarb/raspberry chutney as a dip? or straight yellow mustard?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:57 am
................................ http://di1.shopping.com/images/di/7a/4a/62/54557261423163544f553445536e6a2d506e77-100x100-0-0.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:10 pm
Mustard, relish, chopped onions.

[Pardon me, would you have any cheap yellow mustard?]
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:11 pm
@George,
French's is the best.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:03 pm
Plain old cheap yellow mustard and Heinz catsup (or ketchup, whichever). What I REALLY like, though, isn't exactly a topping, per se. Decades ago I used to frequent a third-run movie theater in Albany, Georgia, which, in addition to the popcorn machine, had a corn dog frying machine. They'd pop a few with the raw cornmeal coating into the thing and in a couple minutes it'd deep-fry them to taste. Now that was heaven. My local supermarket occasionally stocks packages of 16 frozen so-called corn dogs. But they're soggy, and the coating sucks, and IT JUST AIN'T THE SAME, DAMMIT.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:09 pm
Best Mustard for sammich or dog is RAYES Ginger hot mustard.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:10 pm
Speaking of which, does anyone have a good recipe for the cornmeal coating for do-it-yourself corn dogs? And what about favorite hot dogs, themselves, as opposed to toppings? Lots of people in Boston swear by Fenway Franks, but I think they're horribly bland. Any tasty faves?
George

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:55 pm
@MontereyJack,
Hebrew National
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:29 pm
@roger,
They're seven to a package because G-d rested on the seventh day.

Or, something like that.

Eek, I don't eat beef. But turkey or tofu frank-like items get the Gulden's treatment, and the bun should be toasted with a light spray of olive oil. Verra nice.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:33 pm
@jespah,
Our hot dogs generally arrive 6 or 12 to a package - buns, 8 to a package

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
I haven't had a good corndog in years, MJack. Welcome to A2K.
2PacksAday

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
Mustard.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:38 pm
@Diest TKO,
spicy BBQ sauteed onions (a la a guy named James Brown in Athens, GA) if I can find it. If not: spicy mustard. And of course the dog is a soy version.
Shaunnas Dad

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:17 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
And of course the dog is a soy version.

Is nothing sacred???
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 04:21 pm
@Shaunnas Dad,
Shaunnas Dad wrote:

Quote:
And of course the dog is a soy version.

Is nothing sacred???

and instead of a bun you can eat it wrapped in lettuce!

T
K
O
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 04:28 pm
@Shaunnas Dad,
I dunno, define sacred.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 04:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
Hah! I used to go to a third rate movie theater in Miami, mostly for the Polish sausage.

Thanks, Jes. Too bad God couldn't have rested when they were packaging the buns - at a suitable reduction in price, of course.

Of course, George. Those are the ones that answer to a higher authority.

I go for the kraft yellow mustard myself. Now, while in Germany, they had a brand called Meistersenf. Great stuff, even if it did come in a toothpaste tube. Walter tells me that was a mittleschaff senf, but they don't make it anymore.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:24 am
Plochtman's (I'm not sure if they're national or just New England) makes, or used to make (I'm not sure if they're still in business and my local supermarket is shut now so I can't go and check ) a stone-ground mustard (that's the kind where you can still see the little seeds, isn't it?) with horseradish, which made it extra zippy (they used to just have the one formula, but then they started making a bunch of different kinds of mustard and I couldn't tell which, if any, still had the horseradish). It was a very nice mustard. Try it if it, and they, exist where you are. I think I remember seeing some other company's smooth (non-seedy) mustard with horseradish in the bulging shelves that used to just hold French's and Gulden's, but I didnn't try it, but the horseradish gives it a whole different effect.
roger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:47 am
@MontereyJack,
Plochtman's is alive and well in New Mexico. I tried someone else's mustard with horseradish. Kind of liked it sometimes, but never went back for more. For what it's worth, Plochtman's yellow mustard sells at a discount to French's.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:48 am
@MontereyJack,
Hey, with a moniker like that, I'm surprised you don't like them with cheese.
0 Replies