Favorite Hotdog Toppings

Wy

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 05:36 pm
Costco polish dogs with brown mustard and sauerkraut. They come on a nice big roll -- and with a cold drink,$1.50, tasty, and filling... Probly the only dogs I've eaten in years. Darn good, if there's a Costco nearby...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:35 pm
I like to get the bulldog edition of the Sunday Boston Globe, which goes on sale at 10:30 Saturday night, and I've been getting it recently at the 7-11 in Harvard Square, and they have a VERY tasty hot dog called the Big Bite, which is actually very nicely spicy, instead of the bland cardboard hot dogs you normally get most places. They cook 'em on those roller grill things. And they do in fact live up to their name, they're Big, and quite good, and either $1.89 or $1.99, depending on how they feel on any given night. I would never have expected it from a 7-11.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:38 pm
If i am eating out it would have to be the Sam's Club all beef with mustard and chopped onions.
If I am making them it's Ball Park all beef with Campbell's chilli hold the beans, mustard, onions and shredded cheddar cheese.
If hubby is making them then they get sauteed in olive oil with onions and bell peppers and put on a roll.

See, now I want a hot dog.
Wy

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 02:00 am
@Aldistar,
Sam's Club and Costco dogs are similar. Why don't more places have hotdog stands? (I see the street carts when I go out of town, but not here in Seetle.)
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:40 pm
I eat hot dogs a lot
starting only with a nathans.......
sauerkraut.......
guildens brown mustard or spicy mustard equivalent
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:49 pm
@Philis,
Not too picky about the brand of hot dogs myself.

Tons of sauerkraut, deli mustard or Guildens brown mustard or spicy mustard equivalent, and a sliced pickle. Very Happy

Odd thing is I usually use a slice of ...
http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/Images/Products/prdLarge_120816.jpg

Instead of the typical hot dog bun to justify eating a lot of hot dogs....
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Then again, I sometimes slather the bread with hummus and/or a dash of salsa.
panzade

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 03:11 pm
Just had 2 Nathan dogs with Grey Poupon and sauerkraut

burp!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 03:21 pm
@panzade,
You lucky dog!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 03:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've gotten into eating 3 pepper spicy hummus with whole grain bread - with no hot dog in sight - for breakfast sometimes.

But with hot dogs, I like dijon mustard, chopped onions, shredded cheese, dill relish, and some kind of bun that doesn't self destruct when held by a human.
Mostly I prefer just about any other kind of grilled/roasted sausage to a hot dog, from linguisa, to italian, to polish - even used to like fish sausage made with something called sunfish, but those are hard to come across. I find most brats boring, but that's because I get grocery store brats. (I need to go to Milwaukee...)
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 03:40 pm
We call it a cheesedog - serve them on whole wheat hamburger buns - lots of good thousand island dressing, broiled hot dogs (sliced and quartered), melted cheddar and crisp lettuce. Yum.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 04:18 pm
http://www.amazingribs.com/images/pix/chicago_hot_dog_lg.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 04:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
Now that's a lovely hot dog.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
@joefromchicago,
http://www.amazingribs.com/images/pix/chicago_hot_dog_lg.jpg

OOOOOH

AAAAAH

reminds of running through O'Hare trying to make a connection
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:18 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I had breakfast in an out of the way little cafe in Tucumcari,
Whats Lee van Cleefs line about Tucumcari?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@panzade,
I'm sorry, despite poppy seeds, that is a disintegrator bun.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
True enough, osso. But imagine getting on a plane with two hot Chicago 'dogs and having the smell permeate the cabin.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
No problemo for me, I have life long diminished sense of smell, probably hereditary (but pretty good taste, don't tell me people who can't smell can't taste.) I suppose this is convenient on airplanes. and subways, and I know it is, in stockyards.

I'd like to be able to smell roses. Maybe I do very very lightly. But I do not wish to be those with super acute senses of smell.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:56 pm
when I was a kid and went to Wriggly Field to watch the Cubs I liked to get dogs from the guys selling in the seats. But the Dogs had only mustard on them, and I thought that only Ketchup should be on them. I bought a few, cursing the idocy of the managment each time.

Fast forward 30 years...I can't stand ketchup on my dog. It has to be either Dijon or Guldens spicey brown, and it can add onions, relish or kraut.

I notice that most hotdogs sold in the stands now come with ketchup on them. I go to the counter, so that I can get it done right.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:46 am
For The Perfect Hot Dog, Keep It Simple
by NPR STAFF

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127197228
Quote:
Hold The Ketchup: It may sound odd to some, but all the cooks we consulted begged home cooks to (please!) skip the ketchup. Unless, that is, your guests demand it. "One thing I've learned about serving food," Rivers says, "you've got one chance. If it's not good, they won't come back."
0 Replies