How much ice do you like in your soda?

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:14 pm
The Cold, Hard Data of Soda Ice

Quote:
Depending on whom you ask, either ice-fiends are suckers who pay for frozen water or ice-avoiders are cheapskates with a perverse attachment to warm fountain syrup. To settle this once and for all, we went to a local cineplex and bought three Cokes with varying amounts of cubes at 4 smackaroos each. Then we broke out our thermometers and measuring cups. The cold, hard data says it all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 10,083 • Replies: 37
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I prefer my Armagnac up,
but I have bourbon with ice.

David
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:36 am
Whatever I drink, if it is supposed to be served hot, I want it so hot that Ihave to sip very carefully to avoid burning myself.

If it is supposed to be cold, I want it to be as cold as it can be without freezing solid; i.e. I am a fill the cup with as much ice as it will hold before adding liquid. (I do prefer places that allow free refills though making the volume required by the ice moot.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:09 am
@Foxfyre,
If u want ice in your drink,
it might be wise to have it applied at the table,
in front of u, to insure that u r not shorted on the drink.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
4 smackaroos each.

Mmmm.... expensive sugar-water!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:11 am
@Robert Gentel,
I rarely use ice in any drinks and in restaurants I will tell the waiter "no ice please!"

That's what Americans complain a lot about in Europe, they don't get
ice in their drinks.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:27 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I am a fill the cup with as much ice as it will hold before adding liquid.
ditto that for soda.
hate when i get a soda with a few pathetic, gonna-melt-any-second-now cubes in it... what's the point?

i prefer less ice in juice and smoothies...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:35 am
@Robert Gentel,
For years, my son has refused to allow servers to put ice in his drink. Claims that he will not pay for frozen water. Thinks that it is rip off. As for me, I take a middle ground.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:50 am
I like a lot of ice in cold drinks, sometime even just water, and like my hot drinks very hot though not burning, say, coffee.

I remember pleading for a second ice cube in an aperitivo in Italy.. italians, generally speaking, and I suppose europeans, generally speaking, find that not making a drink icy cold means that it has more flavor for the taste buds. (Or maybe the whole world other than in the US, whadda I know.)

I don't buy many sodas; in restaurants I will usually get iced tea and in the restaurants I go to there is usually a cheerful refill, or else I'll get ice water and a slice of lemon. Not so much here in Abq, but in California you could often get bubbly mineral water, and I'd drink that uniced.

I've recently taken to putting some ice in my increasingly cheapo wines, and sometimes fruit juice in them too - giving me a strange "sangria", fine on a hot new mexico day.

0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:44 pm
I'm in the "No Ice, Please" group. It makes my teeth hurt. Cold from the fridge is fine, but hold the ice.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If u want ice in your drink,
it might be wise to have it applied at the table,
in front of u, to insure that u r not shorted on the drink.

For the most part, the only drinks I have served to my table are water and sometimes iced tea. These generally come with unlimited refills, so I can start out with as much ice as I want.

Ice in soda/pop/coke/soft drinks/lemonade whatever is generally applied at home or at a self serve machine--most of those do allow refills. Again I can have as much ice as I want. And I want a lot. Smile
mismi

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
I love fountain sodas with less ice. Actually I prefer no ice if it is refrigerated. Ice melts and causes it to be watery. Soda taste better to me when it is cool but not ice cold. Isn't there something to being able to taste things better when they aren't so cold? Or hot for that matter.

Tea however - I want it hot or I want it sweet and iced. No middle ground there.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:29 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:
Isn't there something to being able to taste things better when they aren't so cold? Or hot for that matter.

Yes, and I suspect it's true. (Nevertheless, I persist in my wicked ways..)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:53 pm
I once went visiting and brought the hostess a couple of bottles of wine. When
she poured some for herself, she added ice cubes. The next time I brought wine
to her house, it was from the bargain rack.
mismi

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:55 pm
@George,
Laughing I agree George...I never knew people put ice in their wine...until I came to A2K...I see nothing wrong with it if you like it...but the whole watered down thing to me is a problem.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:03 pm
@mismi,
I've saved some recent articles somewhere in my files re the chilling of wine - some thoughts have changed re wine temp in some places in the know (or notknow). Not so much toward icing it, per se. I'll post a link if I can find one or two in the file thicket.

I hadn't added an ice cube to wine for, what, let's just say never over decades, until recently. I might add anything to dreck chard, and definitely to drecko pinot grigio. I mean, drecco pinot grigio. (Oh, word fun, I'll change that to dread chard...)

Uh, oh, bore blanc...

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ersatz shiraz..

stop me............
Joeblow

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Mendacious Merlot…

I’m another in the lots of ice camp " especially with rye…nice tall glass, plenty of ice and water.

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:03 pm
I like about 1/3 ice. I never really cared about it till drinking fast-food sodas in America. Sometimes they give you a cup full of crushed ice, and I take one sip and it's all gone.

Now I don't care about the money, after all buying bottled water from them is more expensive anyway and if I wanted to save money I would be pouring it myself. And Iactually think most sodas taste better watered down (e.g. coke, I can't drink it without ice) but if all the liquid's gone in a sip then I have a problem. Now I have to wait for the ice to melt to keep drinking and that's no fun. Sometimes I would get sodas that were more like snow cones and I'd turn blue in the face trying to extract more than a sip out of them.

So my rule of thumb is if the ice hasn't melted at all by the time all the liquid is gone, there's too much ice and if all the ice melts before I'm finished there's too little.

With that in mind, what I oppose is that crushed ice that some places use. With normal ice that has space for some of the soda it's hard to put in too much for me. But if you fill the cup with shaved ice there's little more than two gulps of liquid in it. That's not cool.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:04 pm
@Joeblow,
Ice to good booze changes the nature of the drink, but if you sip it to start it is near full strength and within minutes the drink becomes dilute with an ice cube float, more appealing to some of us. A timed experience in a glass. Sipping an aliquot of primo bourbon, another story.

next.. airplane wine