TALK ABOUT A COLD DAY IN HELL!

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 02:40 pm
Ice found on Mercury

Quote:
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - Despite searing daytime temperatures, Mercury, the planet closest to the sun, has ice and frozen organic materials inside permanently shadowed craters in its north pole, NASA scientists said on Thursday.

Earth-based telescopes have been compiling evidence for ice on Mercury for 20 years, but the finding of organics was a surprise, say researchers with NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft, the first probe to orbit Mercury.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 02:42 pm
@Setanta,
... and I'd thought, you had written some news about your every day life, Set.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 02:47 pm
Insterding.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 02:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The Norse and your ancestral Dutchmen saw perdition as a frozen place.
0 Replies

RST

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 03:00 pm
@Setanta,
And in earth, mercury is found in ocean waters.
Cool discovery, I must add.
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 03:51 pm
@Setanta,
Not a least bit surprised about finding water. The night side of Mercury reaches around -300 F, and the day side reaches around +800 F, added to the fact that mercury's tilt is zero degrees, so unlike Earth, Mercury's poles never see the sun.
The interesting find is finding organic ingredients that has potential to lead to life.
It'd be interesting to find any volcanic heating going under some ice sheets to create isolated water pools with hot springs (ice would cap it off so the water would not boil off) where life could exist.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 03:54 pm
@Enzo,
What Enzo said, basically. Finding water, in whatever form, is not a major surprise. Finding organic matter is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 03:55 pm
@Enzo,
There are extremophiles which live in "geo-active" vents at the bottom of the ocean, and others which live in ice "rivers" on Antarctica. They might not need liquid water.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:31 pm
@Enzo,
there are several non bio processes which can form various organics and by several other processes, these can " distill " each other so that pure product can reside in areas under shdow as they reassociate by vapor transfer. Its like making booze except on a huge scale.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 07:34 pm
They say that the most likely source of the organic material is the same source as the water itself: Comets.

Most Comets are not describes as "dirty snowballs", the 'dirt' part being in large part, organic material.
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 07:38 pm
@rosborne979,
yeh thats most reasonble. Untilthey can do a carbon "stable isotoperatio" (C13/C12) wed nver know if the sources of organics were biological or not
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:54 am
@farmerman,
We used to have a Mercury. Big ass sucker. We never could find a parking space, though. Had a 4-barrel carb so it had lots of life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:04 am
The Mercury Comet was a hot car in its day, and still looks good on the road.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/mercury-comet/images/mercury-comet-1a.jpg

(i can be just as silly as Ragman . . . )
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:08 am
@Setanta,
True 'nuf! (Especially with the connection to the comets, too. Good work.)
parados

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:15 am
@Ragman,
But the Comet Set showed us doesn't seem to have any organic matter. Here's one with organic matter (and a lot of miles.)

http://www.trbimg.com/img-1333478573/turbine/os-mercury-comet-photo-20120403
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:04 am
@Setanta,
merc comets Bleghhh. I like the 70 Merc Cougar XR7 and "Boss"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:09 am
I love these science threads, even if they are ponderously serious . . .
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:13 am
@Setanta,
we are attempting to preent accurate data, thank you berry much.
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:19 am
@farmerman,
I like them too..just got this irrestible urge ... to ... 'ya know..mess 'round.

And, speaking of other planetary life....

Back to listening to live version of Tull and Thick as a Brick.
0 Replies