☑ Why we vote the way we do

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 11:43 pm
So you're standing in the election booth. You look at the names in front of you: McCain and Obama. Chances are, by now you know who you're going to vote for. But what went into that decision?

Quote:
Researchers at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research (ISR) have been trying to understand voter behavior since the presidential election of 1948, when the institute, then the newly founded Survey Research Center, launched what eventually became the American National Election Studies (ANES).

Their analysis produced some unexpected conclusions: independents were not the thoughtful and informed voters most observers assumed them to be, but instead were less interested and engaged than partisans, and the average voter was surprisingly unsophisticated as most citizens didn’t make their voting decisions based on policy questions, nor did they hold consistently liberal or conservative views across issues.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:18 am
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah.
I remember my beloved cousin, Norma, telling me in 1960
that she voted for Kennedy because of his looks,
and that his brother looked like a "dream boat."
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 01:46 am
dubya got in because folks thought he'd be more fun to drink beer with than al gore.

guess they never had some beers with tennesseans.

less cow tippin'... but the music's better. Wink
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:12 am
I think it is humorous that the researchers thought there are such things as "consistent conservative or liberal views." Why would someone's opinion on abortion impact their beliefs on taxes?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
If you haven't read BBB's post about what makes folks vote Republican, you really should.

http://able2know.org/topic/122623-1

Very interesting psychological analysis of morality judgements.
Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:56 am
@engineer,
That is part of it - I am more a conservative as far as economy/finances go, but more liberal as far as the social side of things.

Also, I consider - does a certain policy really matter on a national level? And how much influence does a President have on a particular issue. For instance gay marriage is determined by each state so who the h*ll cares what a potential presidential candidates stands on that issue.
A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:56 am
@DrewDad,
That was an interesting article that Haidt wrote, and I noticed he touched on freedom.

What he didn't mention? I can find freedom from Christians and a church, but not from an overbearing government.

I can decide to not attend a church, and keep all of my income and not give any of it away to a church.

Not so the government.

They can restrict my freedom and take my money in ways no other organization can.

Both political parties, unfortunately, tend to do so these days. The dems just to it more. The dems might be on the right side of the abortion and gay marriage issue, but guns? Taxes? School choice? Affirmative Action? Illegal immigration? Small business? Dems will continue to grow an already out of control federal government. Just look at what they've done to California.

When has the left not redistributed income? I do believe the government should support a strong military/national defense; when has the left not cut the military when they have been in power in order to fund social programs?

I don't necessarily vote repub, but I will vote for the candidates - at any level - who come closest to sharing my beliefs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, I decided to ask Obama this very question at a town hall meeting.

He looked at his teleprompter and responded " ".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:07 pm
@engineer,
precisely
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:35 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

That is part of it - I am more a conservative as far as economy/finances go, but more liberal as far as the social side of things.

i'm with ya there.

Linkat wrote:
For instance gay marriage is determined by each state so who the h*ll cares what a potential presidential candidates stands on that issue.

the reason that something like gay rights and abortion rights (along with death with dignity, med marijuana, etc.) becomes important is that a big part of the right's agenda focus's on the supreme court. a president who seeks to restock the court with far right conservatives like alito is not the guy i want in the oval office.

hey!!!! i just saw the enhanced color palette for text! this is so psychedelic!!!

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:51 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Yes - I do understand that the supreme court judges have an impact - they do still need final approval though. The bigger concern is when the judges are getting real old (or a good amount of them are) - other than that - they may only be nominated one.

Also, I look at it more around the fact when you have conflicting issues with a presidential candidate - one supports a facit you support like a monetary policy, but does not on a social issue. Almost weighing the true impact the president would have on such an issue. Almost any issue a president could have an impact, but some they have significantly less than on others.
Wy

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:32 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
So psychedelic and so, so unreadable! I had to select your typing to read anything!
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
@Wy,
Wy wrote:

So psychedelic and so, so unreadable! I had to select your typing to read anything!

yeah... it is a little bright. Cool
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:36 pm
@Linkat,
and that's the situation we have. there's almost sure to be appointments made by the next president.

i find that a person's view of abortion rights gives me a pretty good idea about where their head is at.

a person who is willing to tell a woman that she will have that child whether she wants to or not is willing to curtail nearly any other personal liberty.

by the same token, being pro-choice leaves the decision in the woman's hands. which is where it should be anyway.
0 Replies