Missing Olympic events on TV?

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 03:30 pm
Did anyone see the high jump or broad jump competition? How about the shot put or weight lifting, the US versus Brazil in men's volleyball or any tennis matches? I watched or taped everything and somehow missed all this.

rosborne979

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:06 pm
@Teleologist,
I saw the women's high jump, but it was on very briefly. They had edited out all the in-between moments and just strung together the actual jumps. Boiled down to just the jumps, the whole thing took only about 5 minutes of actual air time.

I have cable, and there were multiple channels (HD channels) devoted to the olympics running almost 12 hours a day. A lot of it was soccer matches, baseball and basketball.

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:36 pm
@Teleologist,
What about the shooting and archery events?

Pretty soon, all we will get to watch is what the communist main stream media feeds us, just like the crap dished up by China this year.

This has been the worst "Olympics" ever. How they could have ever awarded it to that cheating, commie armpit is beyond comprehension.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:20 pm
@cjhsa,
China has gigantic problems even before you start talking about communism. We're going to have to feed those people for ten or fifteen years between the point at which they figure out they have a problem and the point at which they overcome it. Their agriculture is totally paleolithic and those red sunsets you see in Californicatia these days are basically Chinese topsoil.

That's aside from missing 70,000,000 women because of one-child laws of course. Where would YOU go to kidnap 70,000,000 women if your boss ordered you to?? I mean, Russia is obviously out since that would be the entire female population of Russia....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:49 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Pretty soon, all we will get to watch is what the communist main stream media feeds us, just like the crap dished up by China this year.

This has been the worst "Olympics" ever. How they could have ever awarded it to that cheating, commie armpit is beyond comprehension.

I agree totally. They should never have got the games in the first place. The snivelling praise that's been forthcoming has been insulting to the intelligence. As for the television presentation of the event, in Australia it was the worst I can ever remember.
I didn't see one high jump, one long jump, one shot put or discus throw. I didn't see any of the shooting, saw about half a dozen shots of the archery, and about 1% of the weight lifting. In Australia, we're always going to see all of the swimming, which is understandable considering it's our most successful sport, and where the bulk of our medals come from, but this games saw our first men's field gold medal in 60 years (pole vault) and even that was on delay. Easily the worst telecast ever.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:08 am
@Wilso,
Olympic Highlights:
Former SCTP Shooter Wins Gold

Vincent Hancock, 19, of Eatonton, Ga., took the gold medal in men's skeet, setting an Olympic record in the process. Hancock, a former Scholastic Clay Target Program standout and member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, hit 121 of 125 targets in the qualification round, a new Olympic record.

Kim Rhode of El Monte, Calif., added a fourth Olympic medal to her resume, taking the silver in women's skeet. Rhode won the gold in women's double trap in 1996 and 2004 as well as the bronze in 2000.

Bet ya didn't know.
Wilso

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:18 am
@cjhsa,
Didn't have a clue. But it's not a refusal to show shooting like it is in Canada. They used shooting on the advertisements for the games. It was just pathetic coverage.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
@Teleologist,
Some lard butt tv executive who never visited a locker room gets to decide which sports are 'popular'.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:36 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Well, here in Europe you could watch it live - at least on two channels (your local/state/country tv program(s) and Eurosport
cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 12:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Sure, but go out and do it.....
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:00 pm
@cjhsa,
And? We have about 30 shooting clubs alone in our town (and two in our village).
But I have to admit that the nearest shooting range for bows is 10 miles away.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I shoot bows in my basement and garage. I'd shoot in the backyard too, quite legally, but there are too many neighbors with kids.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:19 pm
@cjhsa,
Well, I thought you were talking about sports and not doing it for plain fun ...

Or do you have a garage/basement/backyard that is 70m long?
cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
My backyard is. 70m is heck of a shot with a bow though. Out of my league.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:25 pm
@cjhsa,
Well, so you're not talking about sports here.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Sure I am. Why are you so picky about what you consider sport? I bet you couldn't hit a 3" target at 30 yards, much less 70m.

I'm glad you got to watch those events on TV. Most likely Germany had a chance to medal. Here they only care about ratings. So we got to watch 6,392 hours of Michael Phelps and women's beach volleyball.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:32 pm
@cjhsa,
you wrote:

I shoot bows in my basement and garage. I'd shoot in the backyard too, quite legally, but there are too many neighbors with kids.

I never said that I was in a Bundesliga or any lower league team.
I just did it for fun ages ago, in a hobby team (indoor, 40 m distance). (Indoor targets are 40cm. Officially.)
cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
40m is about the outer limit for shooting at whitetail deer, and it's an extremely difficult shot, because they jump the string.

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but just to give you an idea where I'm coming from. I much prefer a 20m or less shot on a deer.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:40 pm
@cjhsa,
I must have missed that this thread is about hunting. Sorry.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Dude, you really need to brush up on your english. I never dissed you here - why take such an offensive position?