The Olympics begin in that polluted crap hole, Beijing.

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:05 pm
China's is a repressive, polluted cesspool, and I don't even understand why the rest of the world let them host this thing. Well, of course, I understand that they have a lot of influence and power and are one of the "superpowers" but their government is scum. Kind of like the very air they breath on a daily basis.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200708/r166396_618225.jpg

How nice it looks.

Here are some relevant news clips about the games.

Athletes banned from Beijing opening ceremony

Beijing Olympics: American cyclists apologise for 'smog masks'

Ironic that this whole thing is about being the most fit and healthy athletes in the world, and the world has decided to bring them all together to showcase their skils in a cloud of poison.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,872 • Replies: 26

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:34 pm
I don't think that it was due to the smog why the US women's football [soccer] team (group plays started already today) lost 2:0 vs Norway :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:44 pm
Oh well, the HS class of 2010 will supply the US Women's team with enough talent to win the next four Olympic gold medals.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:51 pm
Re: The Olympics begin in that polluted crap hole, Beijing.
kickycan wrote:
China's is a repressive, polluted cesspool, and I don't even understand why the rest of the world let them host this thing. Well, of course, I understand that they have a lot of influence and power and are one of the "superpowers" but their government is scum. Kind of like the very air they breath on a daily basis.
Just wear a mask whilst watching tv kicky, you'll be all right.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:36 pm
Where are you going to find a country that
does not have a "scum government"?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:51 pm
Good point, Wandeljw.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:53 pm
Ah, but all scum are not equal.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:55 pm
Another good point. And here's some proof of that.

China revokes visa of gold medalist, Darfur activist Cheek

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Chi?urn=oly,98718

SCUM!!!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:27 pm
wandeljw wrote:

As someone said, there's scum and then there's scum. The Chinese govt IS repressive, not to mention backwards. I boycott Chinese-produced items on principle. And I would not only NOT have apologized for wearing a face mask, I'd have continued to wear it. My health is more important to me than the pride/ego of the Chinese govt. They deserve it - that pollution is disgusting. But the real culprits are the IOC who allowed them to host the games despite their record of inhumanities.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:49 pm
DAMN RIGHT! And their blatant disregard for the truth in an effort to make themselves look good goes from the government all the way down.

I have a friend who is teaching ESL in China--has been for the past few years, actually. In his e-mails he very frequently talks about the unbridled corruption of the administrators in his own school, and how nobody there seems to think anything of cover-ups and lies in order to serve the bullshit appearance of competence and quality that they are trying to portray.

China can eat my freedom-loving shorts!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
It's the money, honeys.
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 06:33 pm
Mame wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

As someone said, there's scum and then there's scum. The Chinese govt IS repressive, not to mention backwards. I boycott Chinese-produced items on principle. And I would not only NOT have apologized for wearing a face mask, I'd have continued to wear it. My health is more important to me than the pride/ego of the Chinese govt. They deserve it - that pollution is disgusting. But the real culprits are the IOC who allowed them to host the games despite their record of inhumanities.

Why are you being hard on wandeljw, Mame. He makes sense. I wish I had thought of that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 06:38 pm
Snort.

Excuse me, I mean, snort?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 06:42 pm
I really don't understand why everyone just doesn't tell them to f*ck themselves and come home.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:36 pm
The Chinese recently hosted an international farming conference with a focus on organics. I know a few people who went as speakers and participants. The American farmers decided anything called "Chinese Organic" was a joke. The land is so saturated with industrial pollution that you can't grow food organically in the soil. Even the air and water in the countryside is contaminated with residue from coal fired power plants, sewage and manufacturing waste products. The American speakers all came back with rather severe coughs that took weeks to subside due to the pollution they were exposed to. Literally spitting out pollution is normal procedure for people, and the streets are filled with gray spit piles - despite signs in numerous languages forbidding the act of spitting.

70% of garlic sold in America is now from China. Almost all apple juice is made from Chinese apples. The Chinese are also starting to dominate the markets for nuts, honey and dried fruits. Most of these foods are not labeled as Chinese in origin. The US gov't has decided if China certifies their produce as "organic" it can be sold in the US as organic.

Sadly, the Chinese seem to be combining the worst of capitalism and the worst of fascism to mold their new superpower. Buyer beware.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 07:24 am
China's not fooling anyone.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:33 am
Good ole nationalistic hubris... big mouths and little brains.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/20/20534_large.jpg

You guys are missing these:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/2586364904_c767baeb40.jpg?v=0
roger

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:56 am
@Robert Gentel,
I know you are going to have fun with this question, but suppose we are all a bunch of hypocrites. Does that necessairly mean we are wrong?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:17 pm
@roger,
I see it as wrongheaded, yes.

China will improve as its contagion with the rest of the world becomes greater, and boycotting them and getting hypocritical isn't going to help anyone. They would fixate on the xenophobia and hypocrisy and become too defensive to hear the legitimate criticism. Even Bush had that right.

And the hypocrisy is pretty thick! Do you think the average person in this thread contributes less pollution to the environment than the average Chinese person? How much of China's pollution goes toward your consumerism? What nation is the biggest polluter on the planet? What do these ignorant words do toward improving the situation that your consumerism doesn't undo many times over?

China is progressing, and the jingoism and idiocy of hypocrites gets in the way. The Olympics has helped China improve on the very issue of pollution, and they learned a lot about air quality doing experiments on a scale that were never done before. The Olympics has forced change in China in the way they deal with dissent. It's not nearly enough but they took a huge fundamental step through the Olympics in legitimizing protest and even if they didn't exactly permit real examples of protest they accepted its legitimacy by distinguishing between "legal" and "illegal" protests and creating a (sham) process to establish what is legitimate dissent.

If you actually care about the pollution, stop being one of the big polluters. If you care about China's human rights then be happy that hosting the Olympics put them a baby step closer.

The hypocrisy does matter, because it will end up being all that someone sees in the criticism and doesn't tend to advance the very issues that are being blustered about.

Increased trade with the world and a growing economy and middle class will bring Human Rights progress to China. Want to reduce pollution? Then address your consumerism and the US rejection of pollution treaties because those are far bigger challenges to the environment than Beijing smog.

After all, when they made that smog how much of it was made for you?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I agree with Robert here in the long run and even in the short run, but I do worry about some chinese exports (what was it, a glycerine substitute in toothpaste?) and after reading an article by Jonathan Franzen, fear for birds on the flight route. But I'm hopeful. Did read some article about their bring leaves back to trees in Beijing with some ecologically smart practices with the recovery, if I remember, within the last year. Learning is happening. And, yes, we in the US have much to learn ourselves.