Reading Nineteen Eighty-Four at the moment Smile
roger

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 12:38 am
@makemecoffe,
Excellent choice.
cabezasrichard7

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 03:34 am
@littlek,
Hi all again... I'll See You in Paris: by Michelle Gable.... I started this book and it's really amazing novel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 04:12 am
@roger,
Ever read anything by William Golding (besides "Lord of th...")
I just read "The Inheritors yesterday. borrowed it from a friends library

roger

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 04:29 am
@farmerman,
No, but I'll note the name and try to remember it.
0 Replies

YancyNancy

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 05:42 pm
@littlek,
Your face.
YancyNancy

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 05:49 pm
@YancyNancy,
NO, I AM CURRENTLY READING GRIEF GROCERY STORE.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 05:59 pm
I'm happily about half way through another Alan Furst novel, The Polish Officer.
I'm now used to his books being at least good reads, books that I learn a lot from.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:15 pm
Within the last month I've read:

"Babayaga" by Toby Barlow - Excellent - Ancient Russian withes in Paris and the meaning of love. You'll fall in love with a flea.

"Tigerman" Nick Harkaway - Excellent - Heroics, fatherhood, imperialism, environmental concerns, mystery and adventure. Rousing and touching together.

"I Ripper" Stephan Hunter - Excellent. An account of Jack The Ripper as related through his own journal and that of the "journalist" who rose to fame covering him (You will be surprised by who he turns out to be).

"Doc" Mary Doria Russel. Excellent. Historical "fiction" centered on the infamous Doc Holiday. Extremely well researched. Only reinforced the man as a hero of mine.

"Defenders" Will McIntosh. Just OK. Ultimately sci-fi treacle.

Now reading "Vast" by Linda Nagata. Hard Sci-fI. Good so far.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 07:51 pm
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320409521l/641474.jpg

surprisingly (to me, apparently others know him as a good writer) good read

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/56673/lost-in-mongolia-by-tad-friend/9780812991550/

Quote:
Find yourself in the midst of a heated battle over a sitcom laugh track. Learn to get away with spectacular crimes. Get lost with the reindeer people in the mountains of Mongolia.

In Lost in Mongolia a collection of Tad Friend’s most original, witty, and wide-ranging articles and essays from The New Yorker, Esquire, and Outside we are taken on a cultural tour of global proportions. Friend reports from the entertainment mecca of Hollywood on topics that range from the life and death of River Phoenix to the widespread plagiarism of movie ideas, to why celebrity profiles are always dreadful. He critiques the larger American culture with articles such as White Trash Nation, In Praise of Middlebrow, and a brief rumination on what it means when your girlfriend steals and wears your favorite shirt. Readers will also journey to foreign lands and American outposts, as Friend goes on the trail of the Marcos dynasty in the Philippines, is harassed in Morocco, and digs up buried treasure in Sun Valley.

Lost in Mongolia is a one-of-a-kind collection from a refreshingly candid and well-traveled journalist.

I kind of bought it for the cover
roger

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 07:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks for the tip. I love Stephan Hunter, and had not heard of this one.

Right now, I'm into Leather Maiden by Lansdale. I just discovered him and like his stuff. Brutal, obscene, and otherwise offensive. Oh, and kind of funny - if you've got the right frame of mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 09:50 am
@ehBeth,
I've read a lot of the NYer articles; I usually learned something new.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 10:25 pm
I just finished reading How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny. Outstanding.

I'm just started Harbor Nocturne by Joseph Wambaugh. His books take a while to develop, so I'm not sure whether I like it or not.
roger

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 11:01 pm
@Roberta,
I've never been disappointed by Wambaugh. I haven't heard of Harbor Nocturne unless I've just forgotten it.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:53 am
@littlek,
Now I'm reading a novel "DARKNESS AT NOON".
panzade

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 07:36 am
@selectmytutor,
Darkness At Noon has been ranked in the top 10 of important novels of the 20th century.It laid bare the totalitarian system that Stalin used to dispose of 50 million Russians.
Let us know what you think of it.
And welcome to A2K
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 12:17 pm
I finally finished Philip Kerr's If The Dead Rise Not.
I sort of liked it, but sort of didn't. I found it, as I tend to with these kind of books, educational. Also, gory for me in general and I'm moderately used to that - this one upped the gore count. On the other hand, those were gory times. I also found the book somewhat disjointed, which is also not necessarily a bad thing, but tried my patience. At 437 pages in a quite heavy hardback edition, I had some trouble hanging on to it while reading. I'll read more of Philip Kerr, for sure, but he hasn't supplanted Alan Furst on my favorite author list. Yet.

Next time, I'll order his in paperback.

Since then, I picked a book off my shelf that I've had for years, but not read. Now I remember why: tinyish print. It's Fernand Braudel's The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II, volume 2. Looking at it in light of day, I could probably get through it in bright light in a nice chair by the window, so I'll still keep it for a time when I'm in the mood for that.

I also have another of his unread, which I'll switch to, since the print has better space between the lines, thus easier to read even if the letters are the same size. This one is The Perspective of the World, Civilization & Capitalism, 15th-18th Century, volume 3.

Then I've also got the 1st volume on Civilization and Capitalism 15th-18th century, titled The Structures of Everyday Life. This one also easier to read and has illustrations, yay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernand_Braudel

I see I put those books in the wrong order, but.. hey. Hard enough to figure what volume went with what, until I saw the wiki page. I need to read the Structures of Everyday Life first, because I am most interested in that. In fact, I think I remember starting to read it some years ago.

All three Braudel books could be doorstops too.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:13 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a bit of a funny book to start off with. It's pretty late on in the canon when a lot of the gaps have been filled in and most readers are familiar with the character. I'd still recommend Berlin Noir, which is a compendium of the first three Gunther novels, as a good place to start.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 04:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks.

My main criteria are interest in the books I send for and the lowest price, and I'm beginning to decide the heft of a book is important to me, lighter weight the better. A compendium of 3 would probably kill my hands. For me, the lowest prices aside from the Goodwill store (local place has a poor selection) are from Abebooks and their available books vary. Plus, I just like them better than Amazon. Some of them arrive from England, some from the US, virtually always under $4.00 including postage, that being my aim.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 07:52 am
@ossobuco,
Just started reading California by Edan Lepucki. It's been forgotten at my work desk since I bought it from Barnes and Noble after her interview with Stephen Colbert on the former Colbert Report show. Her interview and her successful second novel sales was particularly noteworthy as it highlighted Stephen Colbert and other author's frustration against Amazon.com (as too powerful a force in the bookselling business).
0 Replies