Another wedding question about music

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 04:12 pm
Do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to walk down the Isle to the song "Crash into me" by Dave Matthews Band or will the, 'hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me" at the end be too offensive to older guests. It is such a pretty song. I don't want to offend anyone though.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,601 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:44 pm
You would know the crowd that will attend your wedding better than any of us do. If they are older people but were hippies, bikers, or really liberal-minded, go for it. If not, don't do it! You might want to save those songs for when you're having the party afterwards.

The fact that you're asking here is an indication that you suspect that these songs just wouldn't fly with older folks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:46 pm
I hate Dave Matthews so I would be offended.

He really needs to blow his nose or something.

But that's just me.

I think you'd probably be fine. How long is the song and how slow do you plan to walk? It might not be a problem at all. Most people will not pay that much attention to the lyrics anyway.

Fun question though -- to rethink what would make good wedding music.....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:14 pm
You may not be playing the entire song. Or, you may end up with more time than the song goes on for. It kinda depends on how many people are in the wedding party and how fast they walk (e. g. if your grandmother is there, and she needs help walking, that kinda thing).

Time it, see what works. If the aisle thing is shorter than the song, you probably won't even get to the hike up part of the song before it's time to get down to business.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:15 pm
Boom, we are playing everything from metal and rock (our personal fav) to 80's music and a touch of country. Bad wedding music is anything that involves line dancing. Won't be any of that at my wedding!!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:20 pm
How about the stripper song then.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:40 pm
I've always thought The Shangri-la's singing Leader of The Pack would make a fun song to walk down the aisle to - at the least the first half of the lyrics.

When I was a little kid I liked the Mr. Softy ice cream truck tune and told my mother I wanted it played at my wedding. New Yorkers will understand (maybe).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:51 pm
I've been thinking about this question in relation to my own life and lovers.

If I had married "Pete", Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" would have been good.

For Will.... Buddy Holly's "Everyday" would have been just right.

And although I married Mr. B and we have always joked that Michael Jackson's "Ben" (about the rat) is our song and although we played Bach at our wedding I haven't hit on the exact right song that would have really be absolutely it. I'm still thinking.... I really need to get this one right.

I never wanted a big wedding but I used to think about doing that whole first dance thing with my dad and the song I would have picked would have been Lulu's "To Sir With Love".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:58 pm
I've had my ear on Let's Give Them Something to Talk About - in the original by Shirley Eikhard

Bonnie Raitt's cover is fantastic, but Shirley's version's the best.

~~~

ricksang - if you and your fiance are paying for the wedding, it really is your choice. If someone else is footing the bill, be prepared to get tons of input, and to be expected to respond to it with quite a few "yes" 's.

Most people aren't going to be listening to the lyrics - and the comments about the length of the aisle effecting what they'll hear in any case are right on.

If you're concerned about specific lyrics at the end of the song, and the timing works out right, you can always have the song fade away just at that point.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:31 pm
That is true. We are paying for the wedding so I should be able to play what I want when I come down the isle...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:28 am
hate Dave Mathews but that's a tolerable song.Old geezers won't even hear the offending line...their hearing aids will be turned down.
everyone knows the Electric Slide...it'll break the ice.

or you can have the DJ play "Dont Worry Be Happy" and start a conga line...
Be proud of who you are...and of your musical tastes.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:41 am
I hate line dancing. If it were up to my fiance' and I, we would play all metal and rock 1970's to present, but we have to appease the guests too. Moat people hate Dave's Matthews maybe I shouldn't play that song. It is not like it is "our" song. Just a pretty song.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
ehBeth wrote:
I've had my ear on Let's Give Them Something to Talk About - in the original by Shirley Eikhard

Bonnie Raitt's cover is fantastic, but Shirley's version's the best.

It's not easy to surprise me with a musical factoid...well done beth...gotta cheerlead for them overshadowed Canuck artists
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:23 pm
What you need is a proper Pipe tune, played by a good piper in full formal Highland Dress. Skye Boat Song perhaps...?

(hmmm...maybe I'm just saying that because I haven't had a lot of bookings lately!)
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:43 pm
Lol!!! It would go along with the crazy nutty theme of my wedding. Hope yu get some bookings!! I think I have decided on "Dig" by Incubus. We both love the band and the song is beautiful.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 06:57 am
ricksang wrote:
Boom, we are playing everything from metal and rock (our personal fav) to 80's music and a touch of country. Bad wedding music is anything that involves line dancing. Won't be any of that at my wedding!!!!

How about macarana (or however you spell it)?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:02 am
Actually not sure if those songs are "too fast paced" to walk down the aisle, I would suggest something slower. Afterward you two are declared man and wife, I think it would work better - everyone moves back down much faster. Funny it is like you pretty much are crawling to your death almost somber, when you walk down to get married, but after it is quite the opposite.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:03 am
OMG no!!! Not that line dance lol!!!!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:09 am
No electric slide? Confused

You know, you can dance that to many many songs....don't be surprised if if manifests itself on its own.

I've seen it happen. 3 or 4 tipsy girls get started...finally a brave boyfriend joins in...before you know it, there are 20 people on the floor.

I'm just sayin'...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:21 am
The wedding is you two (em, that's some classy music mentioned so far, um. Hey ) the reception is for your guests. You remember them, right?

Last weekend I attended a three day blowout (HUGE amounts of booze and food) the band did not play any line dance music but, as Chai has said, the things just emerge out of the writhing humanity on the dancefloor.

Joe(there was at one time two separate conga lines snaking their way through the couples.)Nation
0 Replies