Jeepers how many different ways to scam you?

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:02 am
I just hit a link when reading Boston.com.

It was supposed to be this fun website that would tell you what celebrity you are. Link WhichCelebrityAmI.com. It asked a few questions to match you with a celebrity. I played.

Then it asked for my cell phone number to send a pin to - I figured no way as I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry salesman to call me. I put in a fake phone number. Then it asked for my pin - I tried a couple, but it didn't work.

I then looked lower and in small letters it stated:

"Summary terms:
For customer care, please email [email protected]. By signing up for this service and by entering your personal PIN Code which will be sent to the mobile phone number supplied by you on this website, you acknowledge that you are subscribing to our service. You may stop this subscription service at any time by sending a text message with STOP, to short code 71888. Your phone must have text messaging capability. You must be the owner of this device and either be at least sixteen years old or have the permission of your parent or guardian. Sprint, Nextel, and Boost customers will be billed for $5.99 per week, Cellular One customers will be billed for $9.99 per month, and AT&T and Verizon Wireless customers will be billed $19.99 per month on code 71888 and will appear on your wireless bill. Standard/other text messaging rates may apply. For information, text HELP to 71888 or call 1-800-235-7105. Please click here to see full Terms and Conditions. "

Now who the h*ck would have guessed they would start making monthly phone charges or even think to scroll all the way down to see the small writing as there was nothing stating you were buying anything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,787 • Replies: 12
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:08 am
... let me count the ways.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:16 am
How much time do you have. I can tell you countless scams that are
going around on the internet.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:37 am
I am so paranoid that often I will not click on a link that has been written by a relatively new A2Ker. I am not even talking about the obvious spammers. If someone with whom I have not interacted posts a link, I am leery, unless people that I know have seen the link and commented on it.

Who the hell knows where the link will take you? Shocked
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:44 am
I have gone many places Phoenix32890 by clicking on links.
Trust me you don't want to go to "those" places.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:42 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I am so paranoid that often I will not click on a link that has been written by a relatively new A2Ker. I am not even talking about the obvious spammers. If someone with whom I have not interacted posts a link, I am leery, unless people that I know have seen the link and commented on it.

Who the hell knows where the link will take you? Shocked

That's pretty much the way I do. Anyway, some of those links take a coons age to load.
0 Replies

Josheva

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:41 pm
You know where the link will take you because the URL appears in the grey section at the bottom left hand side of the internet window Razz
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:38 pm
Josheva wrote:
You know where the link will take you because the URL appears in the grey section at the bottom left hand side of the internet window Razz

huh?

I don't have a grey bottom left section of the internet window.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:04 pm
yes you do chai.

Hold your cursor over al ink... Lets say a thread title..

On the bottom left.. VERY bottom a small grey area will allow you to preview the dot com address that particular link will take you
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:17 pm
nuh uh....I don't gots anything likes that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:26 pm
oh, nev mind, I so....it was my status bar and had it hidden by accident.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:31 pm
So? You can right click a link and select properties to see the actual url. That stil does not tell me what happens when I click it.
0 Replies

Mobile Messenger

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
We at Mobile Messenger would like to assist you with your concern or complaint. If you need assistance in regards to being unsubscribed or other related issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please call 1-800-416-6129 Monday to Friday 0600 " 1800 US Pacific Time or email [email protected]

Denise
Mobile Messenger
0 Replies