The Flop That Was Live Earth

Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:52 am
The comments following this article give a good snapshot of overall opinion. Although the Pussycat Dolls are hawt!

Live Earth branded a foul-mouthed flop
By TAHIRA YAQOOB - More by this author ยป Last updated at 09:25am on 9th July 2007

Comments Comments (77)

Peak performance: Madonna takes her turn at Wembley
Live Earth has been branded a foul-mouthed flop.

Organisers of the global music concert - punctuated by swearing from presenters and performers - had predicted massive viewing figures.

But BBC's live afternoon television coverage attracted an average British audience of just 900,000.

In the evening, when coverage switched from BBC2 to BBC1, the figure rose to just 2.7million.

And the peak audience, which came when Madonna sang at Wembley, was a dismal 4.5million. Three times as many viewers saw the Princess Diana tribute on the same channel six days before.

Two years ago, Live 8 drew a peak television audience of 9.6million while Live Aid notched 10million in 1985.

The BBC blamed the poor figures on Saturday's good weather and said its Wimbledon tennis coverage had drawn away afternoon viewers.

Critics said however that the public had simply snubbed what they saw as a hypocritical event.

Musicians including Bob Geldof, Roger Daltrey and the Pet Shop Boys pointed out that a concert highlighting climate change had itself generated huge carbon emissions.

Performers were criticised for flying to concerts that were staged simultaneously on seven continents.

The BBC's coverage, which ran for 15 hours from 12.30pm on Saturday to 4am yesterday, also sparked dozens of complaints about bad language.

The swearing started at 1.30pm when Phil Collins, the first act on in London, used the f-word while singing with his band Genesis.

Razorlight singer Johnny Borrell used the same expletive a few minutes later in one of his songs. And Chris Rock swore while introducing fellow comic Ricky Gervais, who soon followed suit.

The bad language prompted a number of angry postings on BBC messageboards.

One viewer wrote: "Why did the BBC transmit this during daytime TV when many children will be watching? Why hasn't an apology been immediately forthcoming?" Another said: "It was disgusting behaviour." Other comments included: "It was pretty bad at that time of day" and "There is a line to be drawn".

A BBC spokesman said: "We asked artists not to swear but sometimes they get carried away. We are very sorry for any offence caused."

The mounds of rubbish left by the 65,000 concert-goers at Wembley further tarnished the event's green credentials.

Organisers claimed most of the waste would be sorted and recycled but the Daily Mail saw little evidence of that taking place. The Alliance for Climate Protection event was organised by Al Gore, the former U.S. vice-president and environmental campaigner.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,777 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:23 am
Madonna was good.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:29 am
On the other hand: Live Earth broke online record :wink:

(Besides that: such percentage over so many hours is not bad at all, I think.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:31 am
Too bad she's not British. Carbon footprint aside - I wonder what the chemical footprint is to keep her blonde?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:36 am
cjhsa wrote:
Too bad she's not British.
She seems to prefer living here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:40 am
And why not? I mean, with all those discos...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:40 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
On the other hand: Live Earth broke online record :wink:

(Besides that: such percentage over so many hours is not bad at all, I think.)

From your article:

"Streams do not equal viewers, just the number of requests made for a video feed."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:43 am
cjhsa wrote:
whats a "discos"?

Have you signed up for the Al Gore pledge cj? Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:43 am
I'm not doubting that.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Madonna was good.

Madges La Isla Bonita with Gogo Bordello was the best thing Ive seen in a long time!!!It had a brilliant gypsy carnival feel, absolutely brilliant!!

People are moaning that acts were flown in.Maybe alot of acts were doing the UK branch as they were in the country anyway.

Chris Rock can say the 'N' word and I havent seen anybody write and complain, yet he wasnt chucked off the show.

How can people say they are shocked it was shown during the day so kids could see/hear it!!!
ITS MEANT FOR THEM, us adults clearly arnt going to make any changes.
How many kids ask about swearing??If they ask just say 'its a grown up word and if I catch you saying it before you are 18 il *%"%&*^ you' .Job done.

I think people are fed up with concerts.They are just the same old thing.
Id prefer 10 hours of seeing celebs do stuff they dont normally do.
Metallica doing flower arranging, Bob Geldof washing etc
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:51 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
whats a "discos"?

What pledge is that? To save the earth by eating my supporters?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:51 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Too bad she's not British.
She seems to prefer living here.

Thats because she wants to be friends with me!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:11 am
I thought it was fun. Even though I'm very suspicious that Roger Waters may have been lip syncing through at least part of his set.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:55 am
cjhsa wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
whats a "discos"?

What pledge is that? To save the earth by eating my supporters?
no idea you wore supporters.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:58 am
material girl wrote:
Bob Geldof washing etc
Laughing preferably with lots of soap and keeping his gob shut.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:05 am
And here I thought Madge had had a cone-bra malfunction....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:56 am
The giant flying pig was cool.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:43 pm
Interesting take on the whole subject.

Africa: It's Live Earth Versus Africa

The Monitor (Kampala)

OPINION
8 July 2007
Posted to the web 9 July 2007

Kofi Bentil
Kampala

Few people in Africa will get to see Al Gore and his troupe of rock-star ecologists strutting their stuff during the series of Live Earth concerts this weekend --because most have neither television nor electricity.

That's just as well, because they would be aghast at LiveEarth's bizarre message. In Africa, we have much more serious things to worry about than climate change.

Indeed, if they achieve their objective the concerts will have done harm to the people of Africa.

Britain's former Secretary of State for the Environment, David Miliband, recently said that the rest of the world cannot aspire to the UK's standard of living because: "If the world were to have the same living standards as we have in the UK, then we'd need three planets to support us.

"Presumably Mr Miliband would disagree with Indira Ghandi, who famously said, "poverty is the greatest polluter." Miliband was replaced by Hilary Benn, who as Minister for International Development ran the Department for International Development (DfID). One might have thought that DfID would have supported economic development as a means of escaping from poverty and pollution.

But in its Rough Guide to a Better World it advocates "Development by Dung" and claims that "As poor countries develop, it is essential that they do not follow the same failed patterns of energy use." So it's dung not diesel for Africa--while India and China soar ahead because they are too big, and nuclear-armed, to stop.

Even if we accept that global warming may have a significant effect on our climate, limiting the use of fossil fuels in Africa would be counterproductive. Respiratory infections are the leading cause of childhood deaths on my continent, mainly from inhaling the smoke produced by burning wood and dung in our quaint mud huts.

Why do we burn these "renewable" but very dirty fuels? Not because we have some desire to save the Earth. No, sir. It is because we don't have access to natural gas or electricity.

The second leading cause of childhood deaths is not malaria or AIDS, it is diarrhoea, caused by drinking dirty water. Why is our water dirty? Mainly because we lack cheap, efficient means of pumping and cleaning it. That requires fossil fuels--either directly or to produce electricity.

An underlying cause of many health problems in Africa is malnutrition. This is a consequence both of inefficient farming and poor food distribution. To rectify this situation will mean using cheap and relatively clean fuels, such as gasoline and diesel.

(Of course we also need better roads--which can only be built using machines that burn... fossil fuels.)

Our already poor and struggling countries are being sucked into a giant movement to save the Earth--with aid money as the carrot and the stick. If we are cajoled into using more expensive "renewable" forms of energy, we will remain uncompetitive and our rates of economic growth will remain low or shrinking.

That would be a tragedy because economic growth has been shown to be the best way to reduce poverty and improve health. Please, Europe and America, spare us! You can cut your own emissions if you want, but don't tell us what to do. We really have much more serious and urgent threats to deal with.

Unfortunately, our beggarly governments are very susceptible to diktats from on high, especially when they are offered aid (which they use to line the coffers of their bank accounts): don't encourage them!

Humanity has proven itself hugely adaptable. We survived an Ice Age and a period probably much hotter than today (around 8,000 years ago).

The Dutch salvaged land from the sea and built on it. In Saudi Arabia, they drink desalinated sea water.

The Tuaregs adapted to the blazing heat of the Sahara and the Eskimos adapted to the freezing cold of the Arctic. So why do the pessimists think we won't adapt to another change in climate? Why are they hyperventilating about what is likely to be a relatively minor environmental shift? Perhaps they dislike the idea of Africans really developing.

But if global warming is real and does change the climate in Africa, then we will need greater wealth and access to modern technologies in order to adapt.

Schemes that bar us from those technologies and undermine economic growth will prevent us adapting to change. What will the ageing politicians and rock-star ecologists do for us then?

The author is a lecturer at Ashesi University, a business strategy consultant in Accra and winner of the World Bank "Ghana Development Marketplace" award for entrepreneurship.

Source
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:51 pm
The Police were good.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:08 am
Just to wind me up even more there was an article in the paper this morning about Madge playing guitar, saying she isnt accredited with guitar playing and was she really playing it, and she couldnt possibly play it with her long nails!!!

Well, as far as I know she has been playing for around 5 years and not once have I seen Madge with long nails!
0 Replies