Dog Mix-Breeds

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:45 pm
I was in Provincetown for the 4th of July (not for the faint of heart). It is a doggie town. They are decked out, promenaded, pampered, carried all up and down the main strip of road. We ran into an absolutely adorable mix-breed called a puggle (pug plus beagle). Apparently they are a thing - people cross breed them and they seem to be a bit of a fad. They are small with a softly curled tale and a slightly pushed up nose.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images16/PuggleMiller.JPG

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/61641776-S.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,431 • Replies: 24
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:47 pm
My God, that's adorable. I wonder what their temperament would tend towards-- I want to figure out what kind of doggie my mother-in-law should get. I think we're gonna have to look into this "puggle" thing! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:47 pm
Let me know what you find out!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:49 pm
I'm quite fond of puggles. One of my neighbours has gone through about 4 pugs in the 10 years I've known him - their lil squished up noses can cause a lot of health problems. Tossing some beagle into the mix gives you the upside of the pug personality, while improving their health and life expectancy (or so Georgie and Huey's doggie-dad tells me).

and they're sooooooooo cute
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:52 pm
Sweet-seeming too. I'd be interested to hear more about their personalities.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 05:20 am
A real dog goes fishing! Razz

http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/jimpupfishing.jpg

And plays in the water!

http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/abbyswimming2.jpg

(Ok! So she's not a mixed breed or a puggle! I'm a snob! Laughing )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 05:36 am
fishin wrote:
A real dog goes fishing! Razz

http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/jimpupfishing.jpg

And plays in the water!

http://images.tabulas.com/88001/m/abbyswimming2.jpg

(Ok! So she's not a mixed breed or a puggle! I'm a snob! Laughing )

So...what is she?

I like her!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 06:25 am
dlowan wrote:

So...what is she?

I like her!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90788

:wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 07:25 am
She's so pretty. Is she full-sized now? She's smaller than I expected (or else you're taller than I expected...)

A puggle was on the front page of a NYT magazine about faddish cross-breeds, I don't remember what they said about them though. The article was overall kind of cautionary though I think, I'll see if I can find it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 07:33 am
Found it... here's the coverboy:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/02/04/magazine/04dogs1_190.jpg

Not sure if the article is accessible to everyone so here are the puggle sections:

Quote:

Quote:
Hybrids do not breed true. To yield relatively uniform results, every puggle, for example, must be bred from scratch, by crossing one pug and one beagle. Crossing two puggles produces an undistinguished hodgepodge of largely dissimilar things.

Quote:
Havens's granddaughter, who works at Puppy Haven, says she receives apprehensive phone calls from men, pleading for a small, apartment-friendly dog that will please their wives without being too poofy. They end up with puggles, she said. The breeds that satisfy these same criteria, like the Brussels Griffon, have seen some of the highest spikes in A.K.C. registrations over the last decade, as have smaller breeds in general. Everyone seems to be chasing the next small thing. Dedicated breeders have shrunk the Alaskan husky into a raccoonlike throw pillow, breeding it true and naming it the Alaskan Klee Kai. Even the puggle is now being superseded by the "pocket" puggle.

Quote:
Moreover, once each unique and self-perpetuating shape has been conjured, it must be vigilantly maintained. Otherwise it could sink back into the muck.

"Frankly a pug is a recessive gene," says the show breeder Jutta Beard. "The entire pug. If they're left to their own devices, or you don't breed carefully, they won't keep their flat faces." Beard recently bred one of her bitches and, out of six puppies, found only one close enough to standard to keep. "They all had ugly pug heads," she says. "They didn't have good nose rolls." It is not uncommon to keep none. Generally, show breeders label these rejects "pet quality" and sell them to us, who aren't likely to notice their esoteric shortcomings. Fanciers' contracts with pet buyers require that the puppies be spayed or neutered. "We don't want anybody breeding any dogs that we don't think are worthy of breeding," Beard explains.

Quote:

(Interesting about Dalmations!)

Quote:
While designer-dog sellers often claim to combine only the most functional and lovable qualities of each breed, here I was being told just the opposite: that mixing breeds would create an intractable slop house of each breed's most problematic traits. "A pug has no doggie sense whatsoever," said Jutta Beard, who had driven to Oconomowoc from Maryland in her motor home with one husband and 13 pugs. "You put this dog out on the next street over, and it will never find its way home. Now a beagle has wanderlust. It's a little hound breed. It puts its nose to the ground and just goes. So now you've got a dog with wanderlust and no doggie sense."

Many offered the same analysis. (One woman projected a "confused" puggle: "He wants to run, but he doesn't know why he wants to run, and he doesn't know how to get home.") The back and forth can seem endless. Virtually noseless by now, purebred pugs are prone to belabored breathing, sensitivity to heat (they couldn't survive outside air-conditioning in parts of the country) and a pitiable propensity to bash their eyes into whatever they're trying to smell. Puggle enthusiasts praise their hybrid as elongating the smooshed-in snout we have bred onto the pug. But Patt Kolesar managed to dispute even this seemingly self-evident improvement. In a recent Pug Talk editorial, she claimed that the puggle shortens the nose on a beagle. And beagles need powerful noses since they are hard-wired to sprint.

What everyone seemed to dread is that a newfangled dog that looks cute as a puppy can ambush owners with unanticipated health or behavioral issues.

There's more, but that last sentence is the gist of the whole article I think.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/magazine/04dogs.t.html
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 07:38 am
sozobe wrote:
She's so pretty. Is she full-sized now? She's smaller than I expected (or else you're taller than I expected...)

I think she's about as big as she's going to get. The breed standard is 14"-16" tall and ~25 lbs. They aren't "big" dogs by any means (which is one of teh reasons I went with her - I don't live in a very big house!) I'm only 5'11". Razz
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:27 am
yeah, I remember the dalmation fad. Horrible.

Everyone was buying dalmations with no thought to the fact they were bred to run for hours, and hours, and hours. They're like the Eveready Bunny.

An ex-bf bought one, cute as can be. She absolutely would not listen..would bite your ankles even though you yelled out in pain, when you pushed her away and said "NO" firmly, just came on back. He took her to the vet when it got to the point where holding her down wouldn't stop her, it's only when she yelped in pain that she would stop.

I went with him to the vet, and didn't even get halfway through describing the situation when the vet said "Watch this"

He stood behind "Penny" and dropped a metal bucket from shoulder height onto the tile floor. We both jumped out of our skin....Penny just sat on the table smiling.

Stone deaf.

Turns out it's a characteristic he didn't know about.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:31 am
Lots of deaf people adopt deaf dalmations, teach 'em sign language (well, for commands and stuff). It's very cool.

I knew about the deaf part but I didn't know that it was the same mutation that caused the signature spots. (Select for hearing, and select for a spotless doggie; select for spots, and select for deafness.)

Fishin, you're about as tall as I expected so the cutie is a bit smaller than I'd realized.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:38 am
I saw something on TV a few years ago about a woman who runs a shelter for Dalmatians. She goes around collecting Dalmatians that have been abandoned.

She blamed the Disney movie, "101 Dalmatians," for contributing to the problem. She said that every time that movie comes out, parents will run out and buy a Dalmatian puppy for their kids. What they don't bother to find out is that Dalmatians are high maintenance dogs. They are high energy, and even though they are short-haired, they shed.

So, once the novelty wears off, they would be abandoned. People can be such irresponsible idiots!

Anyway, I hadn't heard about puggles. What a cute dog!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:44 am
sozobe wrote:
Lots of deaf people adopt deaf dalmations, teach 'em sign language (well, for commands and stuff). It's very cool.

I knew about the deaf part but I didn't know that it was the same mutation that caused the signature spots. (Select for hearing, and select for a spotless doggie; select for spots, and select for deafness.)

Fishin, you're about as tall as I expected so the cutie is a bit smaller than I'd realized.

Yeah, that would be great for a deaf person, who knew how to sign to the dog, and can, relate to the dog in that way.

For someone who had no idea what they were getting into, it can be a nightmare.

He really wanted a dog, but he realized he didn't have the capacity to care properly for this one. Wouldn't have been fair to either one of them.

wow, I didn't know about the spot/deafness connection either.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:44 am
Very cute mix!

Out here, people got into golden doodles - a mix between a Poodle and a Golden
Retriever

http://www.dogsindepth.com/mutts/images/golden_doodle_dog_001.jpg
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images17/GoldendoodleDoodlePlanetDoodleFenway.JPG
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:51 am
Yep, I know what you mean, Chai. What I was getting at is that the deaf people adopt deaf dogs that had been abandoned because of their deafness. I know the abandonment thing happens a lot, and understand why. Sad though.

CJ, I was on a Labradoodle kick for a while there, since we really want a dog but my husband's allergic -- standard poodles have non-allergenic fur (actually hair as opposed to fur, which is why they're non-allergenic) and then mixing 'em with a lab makes them less poodly and a bit smarter I think. They're crazy-expensive though. I've kept an eye on our humane society's site for "accidental" Labradoodles. (We're still several steps away from actually getting a dog though, and I'm now thinking maybe a smaller dog anyway.)
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:52 am
i have a chocolate lab-rednose pitbull mix.

shes hella purdy. She looks like shes made out of copper or gold or something she shines so much! and her eyes are pure yellow.

alotta energy and curiosity, but she listens hella good.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 09:42 am
soz, the soft coated Wheaten Terrier are also hypoallergenic dogs, and
they're quite adorable. Not as tall as Labradoodles, and easier to maintain.

http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/AdoptionPage.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 10:54 am
I'm allergic to dogs and wasn't allergic to Pacco the corgi, for whatever that is worth. Corgis various traits may not be what you'd choose though.

Those puggles seem sad to me, with their odd combo of needing to streak away and lack of sense re getting home, plus the shortened nose for the beagle-streaker part of the dog, all described in that NYT article.
0 Replies