How do you view the Brittish?

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 03:45 pm
Recently we had a Dutch friend over- and I was kind of hoping for a cultural insight, but alas! She was heavilly opinionated and downright rude at times.
One of the errors she made was to suggest English people are stupid.... not a good idea when staying with an English family.

I don't care if I'm ****-stirring here, but how do you view the Brittish? Sweeping generalisations aren't that offensive- there are tons of stupid people in Britain. I think that since I realise this, I'm in the clear
:wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,463 • Replies: 39
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 03:49 pm
Most brits cant spell.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:30 pm
Ignorance is fairly widespread. Perhaps your Dutch friend needs to know that there are good and bad in every country and culture. Stereotypes and generalizations merely cause the proponent of such opinion to appear ignorant him/herself.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:33 pm
Bad teeth and even worse cooking. :wink:
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:35 pm
But seriously, I'd like to study in England a year or two. Having a british accent adds twenty points to your IQ. Smile
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:46 pm
Here is my generalization of the matter - To a Dutch person, the English probably do appear stupid, because the Dutch know everything (I have that on good authority from a Dutch person who never stops telling me so). As for the British, the women are OK, but the men are the absolute antithesis of "sensitive, newage". The only "feelings" they know about have nothing to do with the emotions.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:53 pm
I've recently had one of my beliefs about the British shot to hell.

I've always held the belief that Brits love to garden. Even if it's just a plant in the window.

A nice couple bought the house across the street maybe 3 months back. He's British, she's American.

The house was was of those completely remodeled modernized jobs, so had a good base structure. Nothing was done as far as landscaping...let it to the new homeowners I guess.

During the Spring, when all the neighbors and myself were out tilling and planting...their house remained a mess of weeds... Confused

2 days ago, I saw Martin cutting down the weeds on the ENTIRE lawn...with a weed whacker...jesus.

He drives a porshe carrera, and she has some fru fru business selling cosmetics, so it's not like they couldn't go buy some boxwoods.

I also believe most Brits love love love dogs....Martin doesn't have any pets.

Other than that, I don't think I have an image of any particular Britan being any particular way...too many variables, different living conditions (city, country, apts, houses) different regional accents.

I'll think about it.

Oh! Here's one. I don't think British people take organized religion very seriously. I mean in that I see the people as basically moral and good, but they don't make a big production about it. I see that as a very good thing.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:04 pm
And a lot less hysterical than say americans when it comes to terrorism.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
The British I know are all wonderful gardeners, much more so than Americans who get their landscaping ideas from fast food restaurants and gas stations.

I've always had a positive impression of the Brits, probably romanticized by too many Merchant Ivory films and various novels. How can you not love people who invented cream teas and wellingtons???
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:20 pm
And how can you not like people who call towns things like Mousehole and Piddling-in-the-Lane.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:18 am
I agree with the spelling ...

Other than that, my best friend is British (and can't spell), I have lots of friends in England, I lived and studied in England, I love England, so I am kind of biased...
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:42 am
I gnerally view the British through a lorgnette. So very, very proper to do it that way, don't y'know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:58 am
Driving on the wrong side of the roads and streets.

That's how I see the Britons now since ... 44 years, since I've been for the first time in Albion.
(The Bretons, living in Little Britanny, on the continent, drive on the right side, btw.)

So, I have to look differently at them as I do usually: first right than left instead of the way around.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:30 am
Haha. I don't believe I spelt British wrong on the title of this thread. I was a bit drunk last night when I started this, but thats no excuse.

This is interesting. Carry on.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:42 am
a little turnabout PQ...beyond politics...how do you view Americans....just curious about the, you know, little stuff. The everyday life things.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:53 am
Stiff upper lip, wry sense of humor, bad food, slight superiority complex.

Now, since turnabout is fair play, let's have your view of Americans. I'm bracing myself...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:11 pm
freeduck...I think they're all like Patsy on AbFab, don't you?

well, the women at least.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
The main thing that surprised me when I lived there is that people who live in England are so much more varied than I expected. I watched a lot of PBS, "Masterpiece Theater," "Mystery," etc., and I knew of course that not everyone was upper class twits but I did think England was more WHITE and homogeneous than it actually was. Then there are the variety of accents, variety of subcultures, etc.

One thing that seemed generally true and different from America is that British people are so damned proper. So concerned with not being vulgar. Then passions explode in a way that I don't often see in America -- screaming matches on the street, etc. It seems to be rather binary -- all kept zipped up, or splattered all over the place.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:14 pm
Through binoculars.

They are mighty far away......
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
Chai wrote:
freeduck...I think they're all like Patsy on AbFab, don't you?

well, the women at least.

No, I think they're all like the crew from Monty Python.
0 Replies