Comic Book Pricing

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:24 pm
We found ( a while ago ) a box of comics Ians dad had.

I would probably make a conservative guess by saying I think there is about 1000 of them there.

I see a lot of first editions.

But I am clueless as to what first edition is worth what.. if anything at all...

Of course, I know things like first Batman, Spiderman....etc... would be worth quite a bit, but none of the 'obvious' first editions are in there.

So, what I am looking for is a website that gives good information about pricing a comic book.

I see QUITE a few when I do a google search, but , is there one that is well known for offering just that information?
One that has a good reputation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,416 • Replies: 29
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:38 pm
I don't know of any reputable websites with that kind of info, but The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is the industry standard for that. Any large bookshop or comic dealer should carry it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:45 pm
That is a book?

Thanks! Smile
I will look for that.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:53 pm
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yeah, it's a book. A trade paperback.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 06:08 pm
You may have struck a gold mine Shewofnm! What are the comics you have? I'm sure you can also do a web search on them and could possibly sell them for a fortune on EBay!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 06:15 pm
Google the Overstreet Guide. It was the standard for many years. I'm guessing it still is.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 06:59 pm
I dont think it is a gold mine , as some of the ones I have looked up are only at about 2.00-4.00 a piece... BUT... If the whole lot are that amount then .. semi gold mine Cool
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:04 pm
NickFun wrote:
What are the comics you have?

nothing too out of the ordinary I am learning.

google is not easy with the text matches when I type in the information on the front of the comic .. Confused ..

But

One small series I found was a 1989 batman A loney place to die set of 5.

A small series like that.. in excellent shape.. about 35-45.00.
And there are a bunch.

Dr Fate. No 1

Batman comics advertisements

Green Lantern no 1 90's series

Mrs Tree no 1

cerebus Jaka storys 1-22

squadron supreme 1985

nothing really cool yet. Just 4 and 5 dollar issues, but like I said.. there are a TON.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:05 pm
I remember trading comics with other kids when they cost 12 cents apiece. Damn, I'm old...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:15 pm
All superhero comics, eh? No Donald Duck or Uncle Scrooge by any chance...?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:15 pm
They were ten cents when I bought them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:32 am
Damn, you're old. Laughing

Hey, shewolf - I used to dabble in the whole vintage comics thing, and one thing I know is that the resale price varies drastically depending on the pristineness of the book. The closer it is to being in brand new shape, the higher the price. The yellowing, cracking, etc. of books left out in the open and not covered in plastic degrades their prices considerably.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:53 am
Some collectors examine a comic in every aspect and detail, just hoping for the slightest blemish, to lower the cost to them, should they purchase it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:59 am
99 percent of these comic books are in plastic.
Even the ones that are not worth more then their printed price.

There are a few that are bent.. sort of .. rounded..
from being on the bottom of all that weight. But none ( so far) are damaged, no dents from turning pages, no up turned corners.. nothing.

This is an amazing collection, but as of right now, I have only made it through about 20% of them. I dont know what all is in here .
But I am finding from doing a little research, and I believe I said this earlier.. that there are not any real important comics.
no first edition batman, or Green lantern, or anything like that.

What I have found are just odd ball comics . First editions, small series etc

I will take some pictures of some of them later in the week.

A few of these have really dark themes and are quite interesting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:08 am
I subscribe to Maine Antiques Digest which, periodically (duuh) posts a forum on various subjects. LAst year they had a series on chemical stabilization of ephemera (includes comic books). Apparently "foxing', is a term about a condition that is responsible for growing destructive molds that spot, yellow, and make the newsprint brittle. Comics and old mags were made of relatively crappy newsprint paper and to keep them pristine, many collectors have them spray stabilized and sealed to make the paper unappetizing to the molds.

Wecollect old agricultural magazines which we use in our artwork(we scan stuff and use the scans in giclee's . Even though the price guides give (often) optimistic values on the auction market, Ive found that , usually, these magazines can be bought in bulk at estates. Ive similarly seen comics of high estimate value (100 bucks or more) go for "Box lot" prices.

We keep our ag mags in special plastic like sleeves. (Im not sure what kind of plastic since there are so many that allow "breathing" and others that are hermetically sealing. Im sure comics have a similar need .
I wonder of comic book collectors ever read their own collections?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:12 am
Quote:
A few of these have really dark themes and are quite interesting.
Sometimes comic book art can be worth a lot on its own. A cover done by someone like Frank Frezetta will drive up the price of the comic beyond its regular estimate. Its like seeing old Sat Evening Post covers done by SChoonover or Rockwell.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:14 am
I knew a guy who collected comics once.
Probably about 7-8 years ago.

He would never 'read' them for fear of leaving finger prints, dents or breaking the spine.

He would purchase them with gloves, wrap them with gloves and heat seal the plastic

of course, he was a little off his rocker to begin with ...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:41 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I knew a guy who collected comics once.
Probably about 7-8 years ago.

He would never 'read' them for fear of leaving finger prints, dents or breaking the spine.

He would purchase them with gloves, wrap them with gloves and heat seal the plastic

of course, he was a little off his rocker to begin with ...

His name was Warren Buffet. And to think, you could have married him.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 04:26 pm
No **** huh...

talk about missing out .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:08 pm
My brother once ran a collectors comics store in Providence. He did very well for a number of years before getting out of it. A substantial part of his income came from trading cards.
0 Replies