Are You Happy With Your Internet Provider?

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:34 pm
My internet provider is AOL, or, as they are more commonly known, AOHELL. For some time now, I've had a few annoying glitches happen whenever I surf the net. Occasionally, my internet connection will just suddenly shut down on me. Bastids.

For the past few days, I kept getting this little box that would pop up (always at the most inconvenient moment), advising me that AOL needed to install a new "connectivity service." The hell?

I finally bit the bullet and clicked on "install," all the while muttering, "This sumbitch better not cost me anything." It doesn't appear that it did (and the installation only took a matter of a few seconds.)

But I see this as an admission on AOL's part that they are aware of the sh*tty service they provide.

The bad news is, I've heard that if you attempt to cancel your AOL service, you will be subjected to a tortuous Q&A session with one of their customer service reps.

The good news is that cancelling your AOL service actually is slightly less difficult that quitting the mafia. (Although there are no Witness Protection Programs to shield you from the AOL customer service reps.)

So, before I take this serious step, I'd like to learn about other internet providers. Who do you use, and more importantly, are you happy with them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,177 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:42 pm
Timber had a post on how - VERY SPECIFICALLY - to quit AOL and get it's tentacles out of your machine.
Sorry, no link.

I looooved PacBell dsl, which turned into SBCGlobal; less happy, after I moved, with Qwest DSL. Much less.

Good luck.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 03:00 am
i use cox communictions, its good, customer service is always willing to help ( tho sometimes they are a little too "technical" but i dont mind because im a pc tech myself but my dad justs gets this blank look on his face sometimes hehe)

I hear at&t has 10 dollar a month dsl, you might try that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 04:21 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75947

I'm totally spazzing on what we used to have. Now we have a cable modem.

Anyway, here's a list of providers, dunno how complete it is but it's a start: http://www.thelist.com/areacode.html
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 04:57 am
I dunno... 8 MB down and 2 MB up for free. Is that good?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:34 am
We have Comcast (cable modem) and it's ridiculously expensive.

We won't do dial up (gaming) so our options are pretty limited.

Comcast has THE WORST customer service on the planet.

So in answer to your question, I guess not. Confused
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:45 am
I regularly use 5 - 10 megs download and pay $75/month AUD
(roughly $63.5 USD) with Telstra Bigpond DSL. The account has unlimited downloads but is restricted to slower speeds after 10 megs.

I thought It might be interesting to compare.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:51 am
We have Bright House Road Runner cable.Yeah, it's expensive, but I figure that it's cheaper than a therapist! Laughing

For the most part, I am happy with the service............................except for last week. I had downloaded a new program, and all of a sudden, right after the I installed it, I could not connect to the internet. I thought that I screwed up something, and I ran to take a drammamine ( I always get very upset when I think that something is going wrong with my computer).

I finally called Bright House, and when I keyed in my phone number, a robot voice told me that there was cable trouble in my neighborhood, which was fixed, a little while later.

That does not happen very often though!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 07:53 am
FWIW, I'll put in a plug for my ISP. It's Look Communications, based in Montreal. I've had very few problems with my DSL connection (and those were caused by Bell Canada >grrr< which owns the lines). What I love best about Look is their technical service reps. They are so very helpful and never make me feel like an idiot. They have gone above and beyond, several times, even walking me through connectivity problems that have nothing to do with them. They are the best service reps I've ever come across, in any field.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:26 am
dadpad- I am downloading at 6877 this morning.

http://www.speedtest.net/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:35 am
I use one of the many little (Oz) ISPs. My computer performance & back-up service isn't too bad at all, considering I'm on dial-up. The phone help service is pretty good, too, at no extra cost. They're patient & willing to go through whatever my current "issues" might be, without rushing or too much bamboozling "tech talk". Also good contact hours.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:39 am
Thanks for all the info, everybody! (And thanks for the links, jespah!)

I'm definately going to research this!
0 Replies

eclectic

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 04:23 am
Bella Dea wrote:
We have Comcast (cable modem) and it's ridiculously expensive.

We won't do dial up (gaming) so our options are pretty limited.

Comcast has THE WORST customer service on the planet.

So in answer to your question, I guess not. Confused

I'm on Comcast, too. The cost is comparble to what I'd pay for Verizon. I've been happy with the tech support, but I hate their homepage, and how I have to log in each and every time I want to check my mail.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:27 am
I use Comcast.net and have never had any trouble of any kind. Their customer service is very good, BTW.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:30 am
I agree; I don't like their home page - too cluttered - but the same applies to IE.

As I said, I use Comcast, but my browser is Firefox, my email is Thunderbird, and my home page is The New York Times. I'm satisfied with all of them, as well.
0 Replies