Calculating G Forces

Dedshaw

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:54 pm
I have been on the internet in search for an equation that would show how to calculate G forces, yet i found many of them. There is pretty much a different equation for different situations, such as taking turns in nascar, spaceshuttle flights, ect ect. So, the situation for which i need a specific one for is: there is a ride that mimics the merry go round..if u have ever been to a fair you had to have seen one....except, a.) it goes much much faster b.) you are strapped to it c.) when it gets up to speed you can feel the g forces on you and d.) it actually tilts on an axis later on in the ride. for my own personal uses, i would like to know how to figure out the g forces placed upon the passengers during this ride if anyone would like to help since i cant seem to find out , and if you have other useful information on G forces or gravity for that matter, please share.
Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 727 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 10:29 pm
An object travelling at a constant speed considered to be accelerating, if it is travelling in a circle (actually if it is changing direction at all). The acceleration is given by v^2/r, where v is that constant speed and r is the radius of the circle. Divide the acceleration by 32.2 feet per second squared, or 9.81 meters per second squared (if using metric units) to get the number of Gs.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:31 am
Also worth noting is that in this case, the G forces keep you up as a byproduct of friction. iirc, if you multiply the acceleration by your mass, and multiply that by the wall material's coefficient of friction. This is the force of friction preventing your slide up/down. If this "force" is greater than or equal to the force of gravity, your ride's passenger will stay up.
0 Replies