Name a Time When You've Been Wrong

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:05 am
When I first read that Angelina Jolie was going to play the wife of that journalist who'd been beheaded, I was all indignant in a kneejerky y, and even started a thread about how minorities aren't represented fairly in the media. I still thinkthere's some truth to that as a general idea, but I've had to change up on my adamant stance. The woman (Mariane Pearl) is friends with Jolie and asked her personally to play her. That, along with the fact that Ms Pearl's actual ethnicity is so mixed (Dutch/Afro-Cuban, with a majority Dutch) that it would be sort of a feat to find exactly what would be authentic, seems to me to outweigh any protests I could raise about unfair treatment of minorities by the media.

That's just one time I've had to see where I was wrong and adjust fire. There are many.

Care to tell any of yours?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,083 • Replies: 47
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:20 am
The one that comes to mind for me has to do with the New York subway system, so probably not the level of 'wrong' you're getting at.

(and you made me look up Ms. Jolie's background - native American/Czech/French or French-Canadian (with additional Innu blood, if it's French-Canadian))

~~~~

so - my subway thing. In Toronto, when you want to get on a north-south/east-west line, you go to a station that has that/those lines, go down some stairs and get on the subway.

I assumed, on our last trip, that all New York subway stations operated in the same way. Instead there were whacks of walking inside some stations that I didn't anticipate. That was a problem on at least one occasion, given my co-walkers.

The experience I had in one or four stations in New York in the past didn't carry over. I was wrong to assume it would.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:26 am
I once thought I made an error in a calculation but I didnt. So I was wrong about that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:39 am
Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:46 am
when I married my ex husband Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:57 am
shewolfnm wrote:
when I married my ex husband Laughing

You stole my line! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 07:18 am
I'm never wrong! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 07:22 am
I make far too many errors to enumerate them here. Suffice to say, I am aware of my own failures.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 07:29 am
Come to think about it, I have been wrong once, when I moved here to the Essex Village Apartments 5 years ago!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 08:01 am
I prefer to refer to them as learning experiences rather than mistakes.

I'm well educated.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 08:06 am
Yeah, squinney, me too. I was about to post a ditto to Shewolf and Phoenix, but then I realized it wasn't wrong at the time.

There are plenty of things that I'm not particularly proud of, but they relate to my own actions, not my perception of others.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:07 am
Veddy i-i-n-nteresting.......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:17 am
I know I was wrong when I married him because he went outside, and I walked back into the Justice of the Peace office and asked about a time line for 'changing my mind'

literally...

of course, I was 19 Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:21 am
From the ages of 16 to 30!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:35 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I know I was wrong when I married him because he went outside, and I walked back into the Justice of the Peace office and asked about a time line for 'changing my mind'

literally...

of course, I was 19 Laughing

Well see, right there, you were smarter than I was when I married at 19! (Joining line behind shewolf, Phoenix & JPB)

I have been wrong so many times that if I tried to type a list, I'd have no fingers left before I got to age 25.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 11:52 am
I'd like to submit the first Mr. Noddy for the Dire Mistakes Competition.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:23 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I'd like to submit the first Mr. Noddy for the Dire Mistakes Competition.

Noddy- I have always said that when I wrote a book about the dire consequences of adolescent marriages, that Mr. P. would be "Exhibit A"! Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:24 pm
It is interesting to me. I post a thread inviting members to post anecdotes depicting a time when they have been wrong, and the replies are either whimsical, or "my first spouse", or "so many I can't count".

Hey, I guess those are answers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:30 pm
snood- You can't get much "wronger" than when you tie the knot with someone that you know from the getgo will be a disaster, and you do it anyway! Sad
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:50 pm
Ok, here is a doozie. I think I was wrong to leave my ex-fiance years ago.

There was much there to justify what I did, and it certainly seemed like the right thing to do.

HOWEVER, there was so much love there and we were a fantastic match. I still love him as a person after all these years.

I think I wimped out, really. Expected too much.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Name a Time When You've Been Wrong
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:57:12