Janitor gets chance to be a concert pianist

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 09:52 am
Cleaner gets chance to shine
Ananova
6/19/07

A university cleaner has become a concert pianist after a web cam caught him having a go on a grand piano.

Aleksander Kudajczyk put down his mop and gave a spellbinding performance of Chopin compositions to an empty room.

Mr Kudajczyk, 28, who arrived in Britain six months ago, had landed a job cleaning Glasgow University's law department.

He saw no need to mention the fact he had studied at one of Poland's finest music academies, reports the Daily Mail.

But the unwitting public performance in Glasgow University chapel so enraptured his on-line audience that he is now playing packed venues.

Joan Keenan, a secretary in the Glasgow University chaplaincy, said: "Aleksander is a lovely but shy lad. He works as a cleaner but nobody knew what a talent he had.

"He asked the university chaplain Stuart MacQuarrie if he might have a go on the grand piano.

"I knew he was playing and logged on to the internet, to a webcam we have set up in the chapel to watch weddings and other events held there. I couldn't believe what I was hearing as he played exquisite Chopin.

"Right away I started emailing the music librarian who is a member of an orchestra, and friends and colleagues around the university."

Soon Mr Kudajczyk was offered the chance to play concerts at the chapel and he has also been entertaining crowds at Glasgow's West End Festival.

Miss Keenan said: "He was nervous playing his first concert in the chapel, but the crowd were stunned. He was incredible and deserves his chance to play on a bigger stage.

"His hands are far too precious to continue cleaning for long, as the chemicals affect them.'

Photos, etc.:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23401116-details/Polish%20pianist%20working%20as%20a%20cleaner%20gets%20chance%20to%20shine/article.do
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 558 • Replies: 0
No top replies