One "Perfect" Day

stuh505

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:43 pm
I think maybe a scorpion crawled into your shoe today, or is it just that time of the month...
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:55 pm
Re: One "Perfect" Day
Chai wrote:

The truth is the size of the wedding has nothing to do with the quality of the marriage.
]

Very true. And I swore that I would have a simple wedding in a beautiful but simple red sari in a small temple with immediate family....actually both of us swore that we would have a simple wedding...

But what actually happened was that we (mostly my husband and his family bearing the expenses because my dad couldnt afford it) spent just under $30K...There were about 2000 guests for the wedding ceremony in bangalore and about 1200 people for another wedding reception in our hometown....The wedding wasn't ostentatious but the the sheer number of people added to the costs (of breakfast and wedding lunch, reception dinner). All meals were elaborate (of course,,,)

The food was delicious i'm told (i hardly ate) and I did wear a beautiful red sari but along with expensive diamonds and gold... ..but i must admit i had a lot of fun...but it was a BIG waste of money...especially so in a poor country like ours.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:25 am
I used to think the pomp of the wedding formed an inverse ratio with the success of the marriage. Now I've backed off from that, but not entirely.

My own wedding was small... my husband and I and two people as witnesses at a local jp/wedding chapel place, plus one of my cousins/husband who wouldn't take no for an answer, who drove up for the ceremony and obligingly left right after, only to come back the next day. The other four of us went out for chinese food in a restaurant we used to frequent, where we were served all manner of splendid dishes, including jellyfish, for fun. Harvey got the leftovers.

We went with the female witness to the valley to catch the movie Red Shoes, which disappointed all of us, so we walked out, then drove home, the witness leaving us, of course, still early evening.
Next day, we had forty people to our house for a great party of family and friends, much of which we two cooked for. Great event. We left the dishes...

Next day was Monday, I went to work (he was doing an mfa then), came home to dishes vanished.

Our honeymoons, sometime later, but also before the marriage, were multiple short vacations, and a couple of nice long ones (viva italia).

Expense - well, my suit from Saks and his suit from I don't remember where. The food for the party - I remember doing the chicken supremes from the Silver Palette cookbook, plus lots of other dishes. Booze and sodas... well, really, no big deal. His brother's girlfriend brought a luscious coconut cake..

Well, the marriage didn't last forever, but long term as these things go; it was another twenty years before we went separate ways.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:32 am
2000 people!???

YIKES!

Shocked
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
Wow, sakhi just blew my mind! Laughing Was it stressful for you planning such a big event, sakhi, or was it mostly fun? ....I don't think I could handle such a big gathering under any circumstances, it sounds overwhelming to have so many people around to me!

We had just ourselves, the officiant (non-denominational, and we wrote our own ceremony), a witness brought by the officiant, and their dog Laughing I loved it that they brought their dog, it was perfect since we're such animal people. Several of our pictures feature this cute little doggie. Smile

So our expenses were my dress, $20 (thrift store!), Mr C's new clothes, prolly about $60, $20 for a cake, and around $100 for the officiant. I think Chai's article is right, that a lot of this huge wedding phenomenon is about the chance-for-the-bride-to-be-a-princess thing...and that was a big reason why we did ours the way we did-- I hate being the center of attention for any reason...although I must admit I do sometimes wish I could have found a fancier dress, but what the hell, it looked pretty enough. Other than that, I loved the way we did it and wouldn't change it. Very nice to spare ourselves the family shenanigans-- who knows how bizarre our parents would've been...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:56 pm
wow, this is interesting.

nothing wrong with a big wedding if it's a family or cultural tradition, saki's wedding actually sounds pretty cool, like it normal for the entire town to come to your wedding.

I have to wonder the reasoning (or lack of) when looking at the average persons income vs. basically a few hours, some chicken and a piece of cake.

I'm surprised in a pleasant way that so many of us went small. Makes me realize some people still have their feet on the ground.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:39 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Wow, sakhi just blew my mind! Laughing Was it stressful for you planning such a big event, sakhi, or was it mostly fun? ....I don't think I could handle such a big gathering under any circumstances, it sounds overwhelming to have so many people around to me!

I didnt do much except get dressed (change saris 4 times a day!) and dance (post-wedding party) so It wasnt terribly stressful for me....but it must have been stressful for my in-laws and my dad. In this type of wedding, things are never under the couple's control - you shouldn't expect it either. But I did have fun..I have never danced so much and so happily...Smile.

The saving grace was that our wedding ceremony was short and meaningful unlike some indian weddings....and I did wear expensive diamond jewlery but at least it was not gaudy.

As for a lot of people - you'll get used to that if you're in India Very Happy....Family, friends, acquaintances, neightbors, ex-neighbors - they were ALL there.

cyphercat wrote:
Other than that, I loved the way we did it and wouldn't change it. Very nice to spare ourselves the family shenanigans-- who knows how bizarre our parents would've been...

Your wedding sounds lovely...As I said, I did have fun during mine...but I'd rather have a quiet sweet wedding like you or Chai did...instead of a noisy, chaotic one.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:03 am
OK as usual I will be the opposite. We did spend alot on our wedding some where around $10 about 10 years ago. We had about 90 people there. I loved my wedding and to this day people have told us what a great wedding we had and how much fun it was.

We had people from all over the country. The night before we did the traditional Rehersal and dinner, but we scaled it down. We did invite more people as there were so many guests from across country. We had it at Bertuccis in a side room - and did catering style with pizza, sandwiches and salad. Nothing fancy and no set tables, etc. It made it much more social.

The wedding day - did the formal ceremony - but the minister made it personal by recounting some of the things we talked about each other in our pre-wedding meetings.

The party was great - we did forgo on a band deciding it wasn't worth the extra money. We had simple wreaths of green around hurricaine lamps that the hotel provided for free - the lamps that is. I ended up hand writing the place holders - we did not have all the little things like matches, napkins with our name - no one even knew. We spent more on a really good photographer and went without the video (besides a couple of family members doing it for us). It was just the right size wedding that you could talk with everyone and have a great time dancing yourself. The food we also spent more on.

I wouldn't have changed a thing. And we did not go into debt for it. I loved the size and the formality of it. I (and I usually am not one that wants to be the center of attention) loved being so dressed up and having all my friends and family around us. When else would we ever get so many people we love from all over the country in one place.

A wedding is really what would be special to you and how and who you want to spend it with. The money $10 or $10 million doesn't matter - what matters is what feels right for you.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:47 pm
Counldn't agree more. Spending thousands on a wedding only means you get to start your life in debt. I mean, you will anyway with the purchase of a home, car, etc., but shy add to it?? It just creates more stress than necessary.

My dress cost my $20. It was brand new but was a discontinued line so I got it for nothing. We were married in my parents yard. A small country hall held our reception for $100. Altogether our wedding cost $2000. We are still happily married 12 years and 2 kids later.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 05:08 pm
Re: One "Perfect" Day
Chai wrote:
Today it seems almost sacreligious to say/ask this, but here goes....

What the hell is WRONG with you brides to be with spending tens of thousands of dollars for ONE day???!!! [..]

I'm not advocating everyone just elope, or wear jeans and t-shirts down to the court house, but c'mon....Choosing a one day party over $30K that could start the couple off right?

Yay!

Finally something we can rant on the same side of. I totally agree. Talk about excess!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 05:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
I've been involved (directly or peripherally) in two major destination weddings, which were very different from each other.

Wowza. Those be some weddings.

To have been invited to the English castle one woulda been great - I mean, as long as, like you say, there's an inner circle of sane people you can "hide" with, kinda. But hey - an English castle! Everyone's there! And they're paying!

But the Hawaiian thing.. I mean this might just be me.. or perhaps a cultural thing.. but isnt it really, really impolite to organise your wedding on Hawaii, send out invitations which, at least for anyone halfway intimate, would be an insult to reject, and then to just expect them to pay for all the costs of getting there, staying there? I mean, a flight and hotel to/in Hawaii .. thats a lot of money. I'd never be able to afford it.. (I mean, even if it was just the flight from the US.)

I was reading about this in the NYT or something sometime, they have this etiquette column, and they'd been getting these questions from people who were getting caught up in this. Apparently its a big new trend - people holding their wedding somewhere distant and expensive, and expecting their guests to cough up the money to go and stay there. And if you dont come, you've insulted them, of course. Some of the letter-writers were really in trouble over this - they didnt want to offend their friend/cousin/sister/whatever, but they really didnt just have a grand to spend lying about either, and would certainly not have spent it all in one decadent weekend..

I mean, its one thing if you decide that you want to splash 30 grand of your own money on a one day event - I mean, I'm with Chai on this, but hey, its your own money. But putting your friends in this kind of dilemma, isnt that just plain rude?

I mean, apparently lots of people are doing it, so I guess its accepted practice in some circles.. perhaps circles of people whose friends and family are universally wealthy anyway.. but, umm?? What do you guys think?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 06:37 pm
Oh yeah, there was definitely some of that. This is a good friend and we're less financially strapped now than we have been even very recently, but the flight and hotel expenses still added up to far more than we're comfortable spending. And of course, even though we were invited, no way we could afford for all three of us to go and so there was that element, sozlet and I were a bit miffed that we were left out. (That's minor though, the friend is really E.G.'s friend rather than a family friend, they connect mostly at conferences.)

I do think it's kind of rude, yeah. These guys were older, more established, and tended to have older and more established friends who could afford it (if only barely). I think it's even ruder when friends (and family!) are in more precarious financial circumstances though.

It can be mitigated by saying "we'd love to have you there but if you can't we understand," it's the ones who get insulted if you don't show up that are ultra-rude, IMO.
0 Replies

Tuscany

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:25 am
I think Weddings are an individual thing.
We had a very simple but beautiful wedding by a celebrant at a friend's beach house. We had a few closest family & friends.
Then we just had a wonderful party.
Our honeymoon was just a few days away, since we both had to work later that week.
But, for us, it was beautiful & perfect.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:44 am
I've never been married, but if I ever make it there, a JP, my mom, brother, sister in-law and son is enough guests for me.
I agree totally on the waste of money and my wedding would be short and sweet. Gives me more time to mess around with my hubby Laughing

If anything, I'd spend some money on the honeymoon. I really could use a good honeymoon!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:42 am
I cant believe people spend so much on a dress that, at the end of the night, should end up on the floor anyway Cool

My first wedding was... well.. atrocious.
But it had more to do with who I was marrying then anything else.

I wore grey sweat pants and a black checkered shirt.
When my 'husband' walked out to the hall, I asked the JP how long I had to change my mind.

Then walked out to join him.

That was it .

We seperated about 6 months later and I never saw him again.
Thank goodness Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:45 am
nimh wrote:

But the Hawaiian thing.. I mean this might just be me.. or perhaps a cultural thing.. but isnt it really, really impolite to organise your wedding on Hawaii, send out invitations which, at least for anyone halfway intimate, would be an insult to reject, and then to just expect them to pay for all the costs of getting there, staying there? I mean, a flight and hotel to/in Hawaii .. thats a lot of money. I'd never be able to afford it.. (I mean, even if it was just the flight from the US.) ...?

That's the idea. These can be folks who have a lot of family, are caught up in the "oh you can't get married without inviting Great-aunt Sylvia and seventh cousin Marvin and Jemima from your elementary school and and and ..." nonsense, so they go to Hawaii or wherever, toss out invitations to be polite, but truly only expect a very small slice of their family and friends to show.

Problem solved. Great-aunt Sylvia, etc. get an invitation but were faced with an insurmountable financial (or vacation time) hurdle, and they either send a check or a just a nice note. The couple get a small wedding in a pretty location, just with their truly nearest and dearest. Everyone goes away more or less happily but it's a grand deception, a kind of parentally-sanctioned version of one step up from eloping.

In olden days, as in 1950 and earlier, you sent out invitations only to your closest friends, companions and family, and you sent announcements to everyone else. People receiving announcements were under no obligation to send a gift; more likely, they would just send a nice note or card congratulating the couple. It was for convenience's sake, too, so that the President of the Junior League would know that Muffy Higglebottom was now Mrs. J. Foofaraw and would be living in Hightown or wherever, after a certain date. These announcements were intended to be not too much beyond the standard change of address packet, although nicely appointed and engraved.

One way around the destination/I really want a small wedding but my family is huge issue is to have a tiny wedding, either in town or at a destination, really only invite the absolute bare minimum crowd, and then have a reception later, particularly if the couple make it clear that they don't want any gifts -- but that's a hard thing to do, particularly if you're just starting out and really could use a waffle iron or, more likely, a check.

PS Our wedding had, um, 120 people (we invited something like 150), I think the whole shebang except for honeymoon cost us $12,000, which was average for 1992. The reception was kosher so that has a lot to do with the cost. One thing I would recommend to any bride and groom is to sink money into photographs and video (if you wish). Because in the end, that's most of what's left (yes, we have rings, and my dress is in a trunk in the next room, but you know what I mean).

We're married 15 years and I know it does not affect our happiness one whit that we did not arrive at the reception in a limo.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:23 pm
jespah wrote:
That's the idea. These can be folks who have a lot of family, are caught up in the "oh you can't get married without inviting Great-aunt Sylvia and seventh cousin Marvin and Jemima from your elementary school and and and ..." nonsense, so they go to Hawaii or wherever, toss out invitations to be polite, but truly only expect a very small slice of their family and friends to show.

Problem solved. Great-aunt Sylvia, etc. get an invitation but were faced with an insurmountable financial (or vacation time) hurdle, and they either send a check or a just a nice note. The couple get a small wedding in a pretty location, just with their truly nearest and dearest.

Wow. Yeah, I can see how that would work for the couple itself -- though it seems to me that you're more likely to end up with your richest friends than with your dearest friends. Unless your dearest friends happen to be rich. Or unless you have your dearest and nearest know, discretely, that they wont have to worry if they dont have the money to go, that they'll be helped...

Still all seems terribly awkward, though.. I mean, you'd still have, I'd guess, a lot of people - like, those in between best friend-level and great aunt-level, kinda - who will feel they should go, really, or will think that they are expected to go, and yet dont have the money, or frankly, are not all that eager to splurge on a weekend in Hawaii..

'Sides, those questions I was reading about were distinctly BIG weddings - like, 100 or 200 people invited up to a skiing lodge in the Rockies.. on their own costs..

Different world <shakes head>.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:26 pm
I posted just about the same thing as Jes last night, but my internet went down.

Yeah...see, that the way around it, and not just for the couple either.

Honestly, unless you are an immediate family member, or a really really close friend, it's doubtful you honestly have that much interest in actually going to the wedding.

I mean, you're happy for the couple, want the best for them, but hey, I gotta be honest, I can think of better ways to spend a day than being an audience for someone's "special" day. The last wedding I went to (besides my step daughters commitment ceremony...which by the way we paid for 1/2 of it and the "marriage" latsted about a year.) I don't even remember the brides name.

I think a lot of young brides today are fed this notion the they are just the center of the universe for that day, and they imagine that the guests will be talking about this magnificent day for years to come. I can remember about 2 really memoriable moments at weddings, and neither one of them had anything to do with the couple.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:27 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh yeah, there was definitely some of that. This is a good friend and we're less financially strapped now than we have been even very recently, but the flight and hotel expenses still added up to far more than we're comfortable spending. And of course, even though we were invited, no way we could afford for all three of us to go and so there was that element, sozlet and I were a bit miffed that we were left out. (That's minor though, the friend is really E.G.'s friend rather than a family friend, they connect mostly at conferences.)

I do think it's kind of rude, yeah. These guys were older, more established, and tended to have older and more established friends who could afford it (if only barely). I think it's even ruder when friends (and family!) are in more precarious financial circumstances though.

It can be mitigated by saying "we'd love to have you there but if you can't we understand," it's the ones who get insulted if you don't show up that are ultra-rude, IMO.

Yeah, totally... there seem to be a lot of awkwardnesses involved that are being imposed..

And yet, apparently, this is becoming totally de rigueur in some circles. My mind just boggles! Its all just so ... alien, to me ... well, about as alien as I am to the streetsweepers here, I guess.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:36 pm
just realized my first sentence made no sense...

I was trying to say that I can see where destination weddings (for normal income people, not the ultra wealthy that own castles) ends up benefits both the couple and the potential guests.

The couple (read the bride) has less hassles to deal with, and they kill 2 birds with one stone....marry and honeymoon.

As far as guests...I don't see how mature people will get bet out of shape because the couple didn't invite them...going back to people being realistic as to the importance of it beyond the immediate participants. You can be very happy for someone, but you don't have to be there.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » One "Perfect" Day
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/13/2024 at 08:14:58