Just one cat left - maybe

urs53

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:40 am
My sister's cat changed quite a bit when she suddenly was the only cat in the house. She got a lot more cuddlier.

Roger, I'm thinking of you...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 09:09 pm
Oh, dear!

Hope the little bugger comes home soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 09:19 pm
Any new developments, Roger?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 09:54 pm
msolga wrote:
snood wrote:
Power over our pets, as a part of what's attractive about having them?

No, that's not what I meant, snood. Perhaps I expressed it clumsily. I meant that a big part of our attachment/commitment to them is that we have such a huge influence over the quality of the lives they have. Taking the responsibility seriously, if you like ....

But hey, I don't want to derail Roger's thread.

Sorry, Roger.

Msolga, you can do no wrong on any thread of mine.

Oh, Spooky is back after about a two day absence. Twice out and twice back so I guess he's the designated indoor/outdoor cat. Getting out (no pet door) will be a matter of opportunity on his part. Getting in will be a matter of servant availbility on my part.

Oh, there's no chance of me catching a cat that doesn't want to be caught. I've never had that kind of speed and agility.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 10:22 pm
Thanks, Roger. Kind words. Very Happy

Naughty Spooky!
So you think he got a taste of the great outdoors & decided that that was the end of his exclusively indoor life, Roger?
Hey, did you know that some cat flaps can be fixed to work just "one way"? So you could install one & fix it so's Spooky could always let himself in from outside, but you'd choose when to let him out. That might suit your situation better & help you avoid a few worries.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:14 pm
roger wrote:
msolga wrote:
snood wrote:

No, that's not what I meant, snood. Perhaps I expressed it clumsily. I meant that a big part of our attachment/commitment to them is that we have such a huge influence over the quality of the lives they have. Taking the responsibility seriously, if you like ....

Sorry, Roger.

Oh, Spooky is back after about a two day absence. Twice out and twice back so I guess he's the designated indoor/outdoor cat. Getting out (no pet door) will be a matter of opportunity on his part. Getting in will be a matter of servant availbility on my part.

Oh, there's no chance of me catching a cat that doesn't want to be caught. I've never had that kind of speed and agility.

He's back!!!!

Msolga's idea sounds perfect to me.......although I suppose Roger may not be well enough to tinker with such things?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:45 pm
Zee cat is back!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:12 am
Great news about Speedy. Glad he's returned to your life. How's Nermal doing?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:29 am
dlowan wrote:
roger wrote:
msolga wrote:
snood wrote:

Sorry, Roger.

He's back!!!!

Msolga's idea sounds perfect to me.......although I suppose Roger may not be well enough to tinker with such things?

It's amazingly simple & requires no tinkering at all!

I have a decidely non-flashy, basic model. Easily set to how I want it to work. One way? Which way? (Access in or out?) Or both ways? You just turn a few knobs & leave it. Forever, if you like! Or adjust later if necessary. The thing is, though, I've had to cut into & remove part of the back door to install it. But if you're likely to have cats in residence forever ....?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
Spook is just letting you know that you are not essential to his well-being.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:04 pm
I'm glad you're back to mostly normal re: the cats, Roger. I do wish Barney would send you a forwarding address notification though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:16 pm
That would be nice. Barney was always a sweetheart.

Nermal is more or less averaging things out. He's friendlier and more gregarious than before Spooky's little adventure, but less so than while the big cat was completely missing.

What a bunch of fluff brains.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 02:25 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Spook is just letting you know that you are not essential to his well-being.

That's interesting, Noddy.
Do you think he's actually trying to help Roger out, in his own Spookish way?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:35 am
Msolga--

I suspect that Spook is trying to figure out how to work the can opener.

Spook is a cat who plans trouble-free independence.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:07 am
Laughing

A cat of my own heart!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:27 pm
Well, here we go again. Spooky again decided to be an outdoor cat. He's been around the for a couple of days, but isn't interested in coming in. Now, I have to feed the whole neighborhood just so he can sneak in and get a bite.

Yesterday, I opened the door from the outside, an there goes Nermal. Nerm stays close to the house, though, and comes in periodically. Now, some people thinks are outdoor creatures by nature, and that it's cruel to keep them in. I have news for them; indoor cats can outlive their outdoor brethren by something like 8 to 1.

That's not it, Noddy. My cats never learned about cans and openers. They've all been raised on something that looks and sounds like gravel.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 04:27 am
Have you considered the cat door idea, Roger?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:43 am
No, I've got a screen door outside the regular door.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm
Roger--

Dry food--keeps those kitty teeth pearly white.

Unfortunately I've owned a number of cats with bladder woes. Want my recipe for meatballs?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:34 pm
Well, if dry cat food is known to cause urinary problems, yes. All my cats are neutered males - whereever they are.

If it's just so they can learn about cooking, no.
0 Replies