Whakapapa---in Maori, the Wh sound is pronounced F

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:03 am
It's way late for me, so to kill time I was innocently looking through some interesting, always educational, sites and came across this list of place names from around the world.

For instance:
Quote:
13. Spread Eagle, Wisconsin
If I were mayor of Spread Eagle, I'd be making diplomatic advances towards the city leaders over in Wetwang to form a Sister-City relationship. Or maybe more of a Platonic-Friends-City relationship. After that, we'd just take thing slow and see what happened.

These are a couple I can actually post on a2k. There are others that will have to be read on site, not here on a2k, as they (and I) would be banned.

Click here http://www.drivl.com/posts/view/851 if you have insomnia or if you have the urge to update your stock of titillating trivia.

Did I just say that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 776 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:44 am
Toadsuck, Arkansas? Toadsuck? You're from Toadsuck?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:44 am
I'm not sure if it any longer exists, but in the 19th century there was a village in Georgia named Stop and Swap. Stop and Swap, Georgia--there's an interesting story in there somewhere, i just know it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
No double entendre here, but I always like Truth or Consequence, NM.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:38 am
See, it's kind of hard to sneak this past the nasty word filter, but if you want to go from Petting to Fücking, don't stop in Allmoning, keep going until you're in Tittmoning, take a turn there, and shortly after crossing the border, you'll arrive in Fuçking. Easy.

Oh yes, here's a map.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:10 pm
Roberta, unless they have a great sense of humor, the people from Toad Suck probably don't mention where they are from unless they are pressed. Toad Suck is one of those names that cause an irresistable response of surprise.

Set, Stop and Swap is close the the name of a major grocery chain called Stop and Shop. That one makes perfect sense to me, particularly in the days when Georgia was still fairly rural.

Littlek, I like the name, Truth or Consequences, it's just that I don't like the fact that it is named after a TV show. In a way, it sort of stands for the time when television started taking over our lives.

And of course you would like truth or consequences. You are truthful, too many people aren't.

Ah yes, Old Europe, maybe that's why conservatives resent you so much, you are having way too much fun.

I wonder if these will make it through the filters:

18. Looneyville, Texas, United States
17. Titty Hill, Sussex, England
16. Thong, Kent, England
14. Wetwang, Yorkshire... yep! England again!

One from Texas was included for its appropriateness, the rest are from decadent Europe.
0 Replies