Any business ideas?

Wilso

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 04:44 am
The area I live in is undergoing massive expansion. 25000 new homes are expected to be built in the next few years, increasing the population by roughly 55000 people. I'd love to take advantage of this growth, and get out from under the thumb of big business. But I don't know what would work!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,046 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 05:23 am
Will the new homes be for relocation or for a population surge? If yes to the first, there's relo services; for the latter, there's baby stuff, schools, child care etc.

Either way, there's all of the paraphernalia that go along with new homes and a new population, such as repair and cleaning services. Plus all of those people will need places to buy food, eat out, buy clothes, grab some hardware, etc.

Growth areas present all manner of opportunities.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 06:00 am
what is the reason for this growth? The answers may be tied to some of the causes of influx.

I see everything in terms of infrastructure.

We are doing a lot of new cement quarries in our area , because the market pressure for cement is coming from outside the US and we have very good limestone resources(Special kinds needed for best cement, low magnesium)
Id be there in a flash helping set up concrete quarries and gravel and dimensional stone .

Are these houses gonna be mixed price? Then substarte laminates, countertops, etc which also can be resorce specialized. In Vt, we couldnt give away the soapstone until all the Mcmansions found that soapstone counters and sinks are very hip . So now we mine it like were saving up for a war.

Landscaping and hardscaping are "down the road" services that extend a builing boom out for trades.

Id list evrything in order from the planning level all the way to my hardscape servises and think about all the steps in between. Then list appropriate businesses that occur at each stage and fir yourself in there.
You really dont have a lot of time, probably the "siting" and "site suitability" work is being done now. (water supply and sources, sewage service, surveying, planning, "green design stuff")

We will be having a minor boomlet around here in about 3 years. The US has understaken a program called BRACC, which is an aronym for the closure of a bunch of unneeded military bases and then move all the services to a few centralized bases. The first phase was done in the 90's and now the secomnd phase "Base realignment" is commencing. Wed have 2 big Army test/weapons areas and mil research facilities, Edgewood Arsenal and Aberdeen Proving Ground. They expect an influx of about 60000 people (includes families) and this will have an extreme effect on the mostly rural region.

My company has already permitted 2 new limestone quarries and Ive brought in a kiln company to design and construct the cement kilns and crusher systems. The b ig issues now are "green" energy and zero impacts to the environment. Also cement kiln dust has always had a portion of asbestos, so we need to be very selective about designs and locations for the kilns (close enough to the quarries yet in an area that doesnt allow air dispersal.

But remebre, Im like a carpenter with only a hammer, I see all the worlds problems as nails (except in m y case I see everything in terms of "rocks")
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 07:42 am
Wilso, Building site cleanups. Builders want to build homes cleaning up is not a good use of a builders time, and they are blokes not used to cleaning up after themselves.

Your outlay? Bobcat/dingo digger (hire at first).

Contract with the building contractors.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 07:46 am
I'm thinking long term. Building cleanup would be good while the building is going on, but what about when it's finished. I'm thinking more about taking advantage of the population growth.

As for the dynamics of the population, I'd expect it's going to be a reasonably diverse mix of young families, second home buyers and retirees. Australia had the same baby boom as the US and GB, and they're beginning to drop out of the workforce now.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:08 am
plant nursery and landscape supplies. Hire equipment ie power tools, You could probably set up a franchise with one of the big hire companies.

Garedn irrigation systems?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:16 pm
Are you going the service industry without having to carry an inventory for resale?
0 Replies

cnlider

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 09:38 pm
Real Estate Business
Hi Wilso,

Well,I am from China with a high number of population.

You could try to buy new shops and resell or rent to others.

I am not sure how it is running abroad,but everyone who comes to your plece requires home to live.
0 Replies