COLOSSUS 110 - CRYPTIC

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:41 am
Can anyone please clarify the answers to 71d & 75a
I have 71d as Moored & 75a as Otter.
As I'm still a greenhorn with cryptics, I don't know how I came up with those - they just sounded & looked good! I thought moored - tied up, otter - animal..........but who knows!!!
I noticed in previous postings Marred & Alter were suggested but someone else wrote Moored & Otter like I had.
Please help, it's driving me nuts, I hate not being able to finish one!
Thanks heaps
Tiggybob Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 897 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 04:11 pm
Hi Tiggybob

For 75a I have "otter" Animal and anagram of tore + initial letter of 'to'.

For 71d I have "moored" From tied up and heath, latter connected with moors.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:07 pm
Colossus cryptic 110
Hi Tiggybob
I struggle with the cryptics a bit like you, I have the same answers as Dutchy who is very reliable. Good Luck.
0 Replies

tiggybob

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
Thanks so much guys, makes me feel better to know that I'm actually learning how to do cryptics instead of just passing over them like I've done for years!
Hope you're fairing well in this weather - lovely days to just sit inside & do a crossword!!!
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:11 am
Hi Tiggybob

I have different answers, but I am not allowed to share as I have been banned by Tuesday… I will try to reply on Wednesday. In the meantime:

She would never say where she came from
Yesterday don't matter if it's gone
While the sun is bright
Or in the darkest night
No one knows
She comes and goes

Goodbye, ruby tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I'm gonna miss you...

Don't question why she needs to be so free
Shell tell you its the only way to be
She just cant be chained
To a life where nothings gained
And nothings lost
At such a cost

There's no time to lose, I heard her say
Catch your dreams before they slip away
Dying all the time
Lose your dreams
And you will lose your mind.
Aint life unkind?

Goodbye, ruby tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I'm gonna miss you...
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:33 pm
Colossus 110 cryptic
Hi tryagain
Dutchy tells me you a mate of his and a swell guy as well. Please contribute whenever you like as you make us laugh and the world needs more laughter.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:20 am
G'day Tuesday owyergoin, this is the first time I have spoken to an inland city dweller. There have always been rumours of a civilisation away from the coast, but quiet frankly I dismissed such fancyful notions, I am delighted to be proved wrong. Razz

Have you visited Blundells Cottage on Lake Burley Griffin, it is a favorite of mine?

BTW Don't believe a word Dutchy says, he always speaks well of everyone; I'm meaner than a snake bit Dingo but not as pretty. As for the swelling; I could not possibly comment!

With regard to laughter;

"Don't they know it is said you use 35 muscles to frown and four to smile? Why tire yourself?"

([Queensland] Sunday Mail, 18 August 1991)

Should you have any questions in the future, you now know who not to ask.

Ps. Give my regards to Edward "Ned" Kelly…That's all folks!
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:59 pm
colossus cryptic 110
Hello Tryagain
Thanks for your input, When I went to visit the Blundells they weren't home. How many times have you visited them? Living in an inland city is not too bad but we don't get the rain they do in coastal areas, however people think we are on first name terms with the polititions and we see them every other day. Luckily this is not true. Behave yourself Tryagain and try not to get into any mischief. (we can only hope)
Regards Tuesday :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:01 am
Tuesday don't be hood-winked by Try's accent, he is a real dinky-di Texan jackeoo. Laughing
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:17 am
Howdy Tuesday, how nice to be able to exchange pleasantries on this your day!

"When I went to visit the Blundells they weren't home. How many times have you visited them?"

The last was in 1929 when they moved out.

"people think we are on first name terms with the polititions"

I thought ya'll knew each other down there!

"Behave yourself Tryagain"

You are beginning to sound like my parole officer. BTW is there something in your eye, because I have this suspicion you are the sheila involved in the great whipped cream scandal that resonated around polite Canberra society…Fear not, your secret is safe(ish). Laughing

BTW partII: Who is your minder? "Tuesday don't be hood-winked by Try's accent"

Is that not just ripper! Eiche nardly bleevit. Razz

Did you know that the first United States ship to enter an Australian port was the Philadelphia which arrived in Sydney in 1792.
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:32 am
colossus 110 cryptic
Hi tryagain
I have it on good authority that you are from Texas and a jackeroo although I don't think you would be called that in "good old USA". I wonder if you have even put a foot on Aussie soil. I also believe you are a bit of a prankster :wink: Perhaps all that sun you are having at this time is affecting you. It was -5 here this morning but I admit I stayed in bed until it got a little warmer. Take care scamp.
p.s. is it true everything is bigger in Texas. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:19 pm
G'day Tuesday,

"I have it on good authority that you are from Texas and a jackeroo"

There be only two things wrong with that statement, unless it was from the Transit Authority and no way would I ever be seen with a sheep…well not unless it was one of those cute fluffy ones. Embarrassed

My impeccable informant tells me that you are a 300 pound steel worker with six kids and an outside dunny! Likes crossword puzzles, has a ravishing smile with a twinkle in her eyes. Which is strange, because from your writing I always pictured you as a miner. Laughing

"I wonder if you have even put a foot on Aussie soil."

Are you pulling my chain? I used to practically live in the Earls Court Road.

"I stayed in bed until it got a little warmer."

Struth Tuesday, that sounds like Pom Sydneysiders talk. Here, let me throw another Dingo on the fire.

"Is it true everything is bigger in Texas?"

Hang on; I'll just check…well, from the size of it, it sure looks a biggie...

However it comes second to Alaska in total area….(What! What are you talking about?) Confused

BTW Did you know that your city was designed by an American? I would also like to apologize for bufo marinus, have your people call mine to work something out.

In the dreamtime; slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for me will ya? Razz
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:32 pm
Try said: "Hang on; I'll just check...well, from the size of it, it sure looks a biggie"

Who do you think you're kidding Try, this is about the size of it..... Laughing

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/9182/witchettycl4.jpg
Witchetty Grub
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:46 pm
Thanks dude, you are a true mate, I would have been too embarrassed to boast! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies