A tricky one please help

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 11:27 pm
An automobile weighing 3000 lb is traveling at a speed of 44 fps along a curved road with a radious of 300 ft. what is the centrifugal force of the automobile?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 819 • Replies: 13
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:17 am
Is this what using IT resources to do your homework means?

did you forget mass x radius x speed squared?
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:31 pm
Convert to metric and f = ma = m v^2/r
0 Replies

chad morris

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:34 pm
what is the answer
what is the answer
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:27 am
Re: what is the answer
chad morris wrote:
what is the answer

DO the CALCULATION. Post the answer. Then we tell you if its right. This is YOUR homework. To help you LEARN.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:39 pm
I'll do half for you, outwards! Now all you need is the magnitude!

Remember a force is a magnitude and a direction, a vector - include both in your answer.

You should know there are 39.4 inches to a metre and 2.2 lbs to a kilogram, so how hard is it to work this out?

Hint your answer sould be between 2600 and 2750 Newtons (kilograms metres per second squared).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 12:43 am
g__day, much as we may deplore it, there is nothing in his question that I can see that requires conversion out of those stone-age measurement units.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:22 pm
Smile From memory although the rest of the world has gone metric (and I think the whole world when it comes to science) parts of the USA still use a variant of the British system, that still has various senseless measures that folk don't understand.

So rather than be all base 10 - like our number system, the USA uses systems wherein

1. A pound of silver is lighter than a pound of feathers
2. A person can be measured (weight) in slugs.
3. Even a modest unit for distance changes at least 6 times in a mile starting at an inch - inch, foot, yard, fathom, chain, furlong, mile (let alone nautical miles and other exotics), in a non consistent manner!

So with metric you need to know one number - 10, its easy to multiply with too! For the above measures you need to know the conversion ratios are respectively 12, 3, 2, 11, 10, 8.

At least the USA still doesn't use pounds, shillings, pence, crowns, guineas etc. Strange how they dropped part of a obscolete system but kept the rest?

Imagine if this question was a car, made from silver - (a precious metal - so convert it carefully to avoirdupois pounds)! - was travelling at a combined 47 rods, 27 palms and 300,000 digits per second, weighting 1,000,000 slugs turned a corner of radius 9,000 nails in a combined 1/10 of a nune, 2moments, 4 instances plus 12 winks and 2 dwinks) - what is the acceleration acting on it?

Who here even remembers 1 day = 7 nunes, 1 nune = 15 moments, 1 moment = 97 instants, 1 instant = 36 winks, 1 wink = 12 dwinks?

How many here could easily do that simple question above, given the absurdity that is the legacy imperial system?

Do you still remember all your measures measures palms, digits, nails, shaftments, spans, cubits, rods and paces? Can you convert troy ounces to normal - non precious metal weights?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:40 pm
g__day, are you showing your age? That was all gibberish to me.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:43 pm
Well having studied science, and with a father who was both surveyor and fisherman - we recieved exposure to all the good old imperial systems of time, weight and distance - it's a perfectly legitimate question. The mix of units is odd, but when he went through university such a question could have easily been asked.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:07 am
Quote:
How many here could easily do that simple question above, given the absurdity that is the legacy imperial system?

g__day, I'm sorry to say, because I share your amusement at the Imperial System, that I think you've missed an important point. As long as you stick to the same system, it doesn't matter what the units are.

Plus another, which I also didn't appreciate at first glance.

I think the OP is probably long gone, so I can break my taboo on doing people's homework for them and show you what I mean.

Quote:
An automobile weighing 3000 lb is traveling at a speed of 44 fps along a curved road with a radious of 300 ft. what is the centrifugal force of the automobile?

There's no problem with units. Just stay either all-Imperial or all-Metric.

The force acting on the vehicle, is F = ma (force equals mass
times acceleration, as Newton said), expressed for a curved motion.

The F = ma for a circular motion is in the form F = (w * v * v)/(g * r).

w=vehicle weight
v=velocity/speed
r=circle radius
g=acceleration due to gravity. (32 ft/sec/sec)

This gives a centripetal force for our
example:

F=(3000*44*44)/(32*300)

F=5808000 / 9600

F=960 lbs

centripetal="centrifugal" (Newton again)

Answer=960lbs.

I think the point of the apparently "simple" question is to see if the student remembers about gravity...

I mean... first rule drummed into me by Mr Kingston in 1965... READ THE QUESTION! The car ("automobile") weighs 3000 pounds. It's going along a curved road, (on the surface of the earth, presumably.) Interesting variant would be the Mars Rover.

It's 8 AM here, and 40 yrs since I studied physics at school, and I need a caffeine top up, but see if there's anything wrong with my reasoning? (or my sums?)

I remember memorising that 44 feet per second is 30 mph.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:16 am
What on earth is a "slug" (other than something you stick in a parking meter slot to jam it so you can leave a note on your windshield that the meter's not working so you shouldn't get a ticket) and who on earth in the US measures weight in slugs?
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:22 am
Oh, I see g_day is AUSTRALIAN. That explains the chains, fathoms, furlongs. But still what the h is a slug?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:51 am
username wrote:
Oh, I see g_day is AUSTRALIAN. That explains the chains, fathoms, furlongs. But still what the h is a slug?

The slug is an Imperial unit of mass. It is a mass that accelerates by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound-force (lbf) is exerted on it. Therefore a slug has a mass of about 32.17405 pound-mass or 14.5939 kg, depending on the chosen value of g.

The slug is part of a subset of coherent units known as the gravitational foot-pound-second system (FPS), one of several such specialized systems of mechanical units developed in the late 19th and the 20th century. The slug was first used in 1902 by Arthur Mason Worthington (1852-1916) in Dynamics of Rotation (OED).

Another name for this unit in early literature is the geepound.

The term metric slug appears as a footnote in the 1967 seventh edition of Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers. The term is sometimes collapsed to mug and it is also called the TME (German: technische Masseneinheit, technical mass unit). It is the mass that accelerates at 1 m/s2 under a force of 1 kgf. Because 1 kgf = 9.806 65 N, the metric slug is 9.806 65 kilograms. This has also been called the hyl, but there is an alternate definition of the hyl equalling 9.806 65 grams which would make the kilohyl equal to the TME.
0 Replies