Snooty Macy's Saleswoman

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:25 pm
Linkat wrote:
So to a polite short greeting, instead of simply saying politely in return, I'm just looking, you come back with a rude remark? No wonder people working with the public are sometimes grumpy and rude - how could you possibly blame them if they have to deal with such attitudes?

How can the poor sap know you are in the middle of thinking about something? Not everyone is so distracted when first entering a store. If you keep your response short and sweet, saying thanks, but I'm just looking or similar - I rarely have had to field a series of questions when I respond as such.

But how could saying "furniture" if that's the answer to the question be considered a rude remark?

If they ask "what brings you in here today" and I respond "no thanks, I'm just looking" that sounds incredibly stupid on my part because it in no way answers the question. Actually, I don't even think it's all that polite a greeting, if it puts the other person at a loss for an appropriate answer.

That like asking me what time it is, and I say "I'm washing my clothes on Thursday"
So, if a salesman asks an obvious question, they're supposed the think the customer is rude if they get the obvious answer? That doesn't make any sense at all.

The salesman is supposed to be trained to ask the correct questions, not just say the first thing that pops into their head.

Everyone's always thinking about something. Good questions will incorporate themselves into the customers thinking pattern....silly questions will distract them.

I don't mind at all a salesman greeting me, just don't throw mindless stuff at me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:33 pm
It's the tone - not the answer - the tone in your comment comes through even without hearing the words. From how you state it - I would envision you would would answer with a sarcastic tone - that is the tone your written word is and voicing it would only emphasize it.

Obviously you wouldn't say No thanks in response, but what is wrong with an answer to "what brought you in today"? To say - just looking around, thank you.

So if you are thinking to yourself and some one says How are you? Are you thrown off your train of thought? The salesman was simply giving a greeting, not asking some deep seeded thought? I have been given similar questions before when entering a store and it didn't cause me to forget some deep thought - but I am very bright so maybe that is why.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:35 pm
All this made me think of those super enthusiastic sales people.

You know, a smile plastered on their face and you start to worry if they might have a stroke right there on the spot. Maybe even when you are there.

Female clothing stores are baaad for that.

Politeness doesn't get through to some people. Every tiny smile gets back a new round of comments and glances. No!

But how can you complain that someone is too 'chipper'? Can't really, without looking like a troublemaker.

That's when I walk out and don't even bother. Maybe the clothes are nice, just can't handle that sort of personality on a shopping day.

Lots of people don't particularly look forward to dealing with clerks and sales people. Rudeness goes both ways. It sucks all around.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 04:02 pm
This is the way we treat people in the service industry.

And, yet, we often long for the days of real service, gas station attendants, coat takers, waiters that lit your cig for you... What a bunch of no class, self centered jerks we've become.

Are our lives really that unbearable that we can't take a moment to be kind?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 04:21 pm
Chai wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Sometimes life gives you a payback. Last year when I was selling furniture for a short time a woman came in, a real "dolled up" but obviously white trashy redneck and when I greeted her at the door all chipper like and said "What brings you in today?" she looked at me through her KMart blue eye shadow and said "FURNITURE" like I was an idiot.

A couple weeks later I happened early morning to run up to Food Lion for creamer and there she was, doing some early morning grocery shopping.
I walked right up to her and said in a loud voice "hat brings you in here this morning, GROCERIES?"

The stupid bitch didn't even know what I was talking about but it put a smile on my face that I shared with squinney, and it lasted all day.

Serious question dude...what is supposed to be the acceptable answer to someone walking into a furniture store when they're asked what brought them in here today?

I've been asked that in furniture stores, and other places that sell basically one thing, like….furniture. To be honest, I had absolutely no good answer, and I'm thinking to myself "WTF does this guy think brought me in here today? I want to look at furniture for Christs sake." But I know that would sound bitchy. Isn't there a better question or phrase like "Hi I'm Ralph. Take a look around the store, and I'll be available to answer any questions you have."

My response to that would be, "Hey, thanks Ralph" and I would definitely remember him.

Also, saying that to her at the supermarket was sorta lame, really. She didn't know you from a cake of soap. If I was that woman, and let's say standing in line with you and you said that to me about the groceries, besides inching away and making sure my handbag was secure, I'd probably just say, "well…………yeah?"

As far as rude salespeople, I simply let them know that I'm going to spend my money somewhere else.

serious answer babe... and we've had this conversation... a correct answer would be just in to browse... or...nothing in particular... or do you have waterbeds with mirrors but definitely not a withering look, a tone dripping with sarcasm through clenched teeth going furniture... because contrary to popular belief not all in fact not even most people in furniture or other speicalty stores are money grubbing and desperate for your crumbs especially if you're a rude c*nt as this woman was.....
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 04:34 pm
Maybe I'm defective in some way, but it seems to me the proper answer to "What brings you in here today", is what brought me in there that day. As in, I'm looking for a couch, or a desk, or I'm just looking, or do you by any chance have a bathroom I can use. I guess I would assume we all know its a furniture store, and the clerk is making a general opening statement so that I know he or she is the clerk, and available to help me. Then again, I hardly ever shop, and I'm usually not looking for a verbal duel.
0 Replies

Zayrina

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 04:34 pm
Many years ago when I was in highschool I took a trip sponsered by the French club to Montreal. We stayed in a niceish hotel. We were, in retrospect, rowdy idiots. My roomie and I kept forgetting our room key and had to ask multiple times by the clerk to be let in. Each time we tipped him a quarter. He always bowed deeply and thanked us. I wish I could find him and thank him for his patience in dealing with we nitwits in such a gracious manner.

I wish I were the type who would overlook the type of treatment noted in the OP, but I wouldn't. I would have confronted her on the spot with her attitude, and if it did not immediately improve I would demand that she find a manager, tout suite.

I am a ballsy old bag though, I know it's not for everyone.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:01 pm
Just want to throw out there....
I run errands in paint clothes all the time.
I don't even think about it any more.

I HATE people saying to me, "I guess you're a painter"

Wow, what is it with some people and stupid comments?

Another top contender in things I've heard too often...
"Did you get any paint on the wall?"
Course those are by the people that think they are clever.

As far as people who work in a customer service industry, if they are polite to me, I am very polite to them.
Yeah, snotty, snotty doesn't work for me.

mcho2k, at least you got what you went for.
When I'm tired and I get a snotty attitude from someone who is suppose to be helping me, I lash out disdainfully.
Really, they shouldn't be waiting on people if they can't be nice.
The next time it happens to you, my suggestion would be to let it out then and there.
Don't bother thinking about it after the fact, it's not worth your time.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:32 pm
My Dads wise words of "Kill them with kindness" come to mind.

Might change your day, their attitude, and avoid making them right about you.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:39 pm
To the original poster;

What you needed was Richard Gere to take you back in there to kick her snooty butt. Where the hell was he when you needed him?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:53 pm
Linkat wrote:
Rather than even wasting your valuable time and breath to dealing with such a person, I would either ask her to get her manger to help you, seek out another sales person or go to another store. Once the attitude starts, say "I'm sorry I can see you are unable to help me, please get me your manger." Or, "I'm sorry I can see you are unable to help me, I find some one who can." Or, "I'm sorry I can see you are unable to help me, I go to ABC store where they are more helpful."

Yep, that's exactly what I do (and have done many times!)
I don't stand for rudeness from anyone any place where I am the customer.

I once had a grocery check-out girl (young woman) go on and on to me about "what a bitch" her co-worker was and how she should have gotten a break a half hour ago....yadda yadda yadda.
I didn't know her, and I didn't respond to her except to ask if the person she was berating was her supervisor. When she said 'yes' I paid my bill, and then pushed my cart over to the manager's station and promptly told them exactly what she'd been telling me.
Then as I exited the store, I passed the checker and told her to "have a pleasant day!" Somehow, I don't think she did.

When I'm being waited on in a place where they expect me to pay money for services rendered, I expect professionalism from the employees.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:00 pm
This whole thread has pissed me off. I'm going to be abusive to every single swinging asshat who tries to sing at my show tonight. I'm loaded for Bear..... no pun intended.

[size=7](not really)[/size]
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:13 pm
I have worked in retail on and off the last few years and as a result I am never rude to clerks. Actually I try not to be rude to anybody (even telephone marketers). Just because someone is a clerk and making really shitty money (I'm not talking commissioned salespeople here) doesn't make them your serf. They are there to serve you but they are not beneath you. And just because you have a lousy job making crappy money serving supercilious demanding customers does not allow you to be rude or lazy (or judgemental if they've just popped in from a dirty job site) -- you're being paid to be helpful. A little courtesy in both directions goes a long way.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:20 pm
There's a kid who works in the corner cafe up the street, where I pick up a six pack when it's close to liquor store close (9:00 here, which I just can't get my mind around). He's always trying to strike up conversations with me about beer. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. Way too solicitous.

I can pretty much tell him what I want him to stock, and he'll stock it, though. Mebbe I should cut the kid some slack. Works out well for me.

Woould work better if I could get him to fix the prices...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:25 pm
happycat wrote:
I once had a grocery check-out girl (young woman) go on and on to me about "what a bitch" her co-worker was and how she should have gotten a break a half hour ago....yadda yadda yadda.
I didn't know her, and I didn't respond to her except to ask if the person she was berating was her supervisor. When she said 'yes' I paid my bill, and then pushed my cart over to the manager's station and promptly told them exactly what she'd been telling me.
Then as I exited the store, I passed the checker and told her to "have a pleasant day!" Somehow, I don't think she did.

Wow Shocked. That is just... evil.

happycat wrote:
When I'm being waited on in a place where they expect me to pay money for services rendered, I expect professionalism from the employees.

Professionalism? For Chrissakes, you're talking about a grocery check-out girl, who was probably working for **** wages. She's not doing a Powerpoint presentation. I mean, if she'd cussed you out or something OK, but because she was grumbling to you about someone, you went and perhaps got her fired?!

My god.

She obviously was a silly goose to just yap at a random customer like that (about her boss, even) - but I'm sorry, you were an outright bitch.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:36 pm
Linkat wrote:
It's the tone - not the answer - the tone in your comment comes through even without hearing the words. From how you state it - I would envision you would would answer with a sarcastic tone - that is the tone your written word is and voicing it would only emphasize it.

Obviously you wouldn't say No thanks in response, but what is wrong with an answer to "what brought you in today"? To say - just looking around, thank you.

So if you are thinking to yourself and some one says How are you? Are you thrown off your train of thought? The salesman was simply giving a greeting, not asking some deep seeded thought? I have been given similar questions before when entering a store and it didn't cause me to forget some deep thought - but I am very bright so maybe that is why.

Well linkat, the way you envision me answering the question "furniture" is actually totally wrong.

You're very bright? Good. So am I. But I do get distracted from my thoughts when asked a question that I really can't answer without sounding as obvious as the person asking it. It someone asks a question, I'm going to try to answer what is asked.

Bear....that actually is a good reply..."I'm in here today to just browse around".

Rude sales people, rude customers. Sure there are both.

I simply don't think a customer is being rude when they just don't feel like talking to the sales person. Some people just don't talk much.

Believe it or not, I can be very quiet. No, really. From what ya'll know about my problems with music and sound, it should come as no surprise I really really like quiet...

That said, if any type of sales person just keeps pushing and pushing to start some type of conversation, I just shut down. I'm not trying to be rude....I literally shut down and stop comprehending what the other person is saying, and if they point at something and I look at it, it's just kind of a blind stare and I'm not really seeing anything. Sort of like a rabbit when it feels threatened I guess. I can't wait until they leave, and then, it might take me the next 10 minutes to bring my surroundings back into focus.
heh...I never put this into words before...a revelation for me. I realize now that when I get that way, I really will need time to get it together, and will have to go back over the racks of clothes or whatever, because I have no idea what I'd been pushing down the rack.

Maybe before a sales person considers that their customer isn't worth their time, they might consider they are dealing with someone who doesn't get all excited at the prospect of dealing with another person at that time. That might be rare, but jeez, give it a try.

and as for feeling that you don't need someones crumbs? Well, you are at work, aren't you? I mean, no one has to eat ****, but you are there to work, and you chose to get up that morning and do that.

oh oh oh....I got a great story...I had bought concrete stain from Lowe's, and the color when I tested it was nowhere near what the sample showed. I called Lowe's and talked to the guy in the paint department, asking him if there could have been a mixup when a different paint guy mixed the colors.

Anyway, we got off on the wrong foot...He asked me to read the color %'s to him, but in such a way that it seemed that whatever I said, he would reply "yeah, that's it" I guess you had to be there....
So I said to him..."why don't You read what it's supposed to be, and I'll verify it"
so...he laughed and said "sure, if that'll make you happy". Well, the colors were mixed all right...and he said "You can't return it, it's already mixed", to which I replied..."yeah, I know, I wasn't going to return it"...I mean, it wasn't an argument between us, just not pleasant.

Anyway, over the weekend I thought of a way to salvage the color, and went to Lowe's that monday with my can of stain.
When I explained the situation, the sales person said "yeah, I had a customer on the phone last week with a similar problem. she was mad because the color was off"
I said "That was me! I wasn't mad, I was just trying to figure out what was going on before I called the stain company."

Anyway...I was there another 45 minutes, and for about 43 of them he and I were laughing and joking and carrying on...proposing different solutions, adding some blue, maybe some green, etc. He was really clever, and we just played off each other well. Other customers who came and went in that time were quite entertained by us, I thought one customer who was watching our "show" was going to ask me on a date.

So...don't be so sure a customer is being rude, service people, maybe you're just not striking the right chord. Try playing in a different key. One size does not fit all.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:58 pm
fortunately working in retail was a temp deal for me....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:59 pm
So, a lot of you know I was partner in a gallery and design firm for a bunch of time not all so long ago. The place is in a long and narrow storefront, and we had built various "finwalls" to segment the rooms. I tell you this to say that when we were back designing, unless we were standing in just the right place, we couldn't see who came in the front door, the door on which we had some indian bell.

Most of the art was in the front, the main gallery. One of us, on hearing the bell, would get up and greet the person. Well, A) to see who was there, and if we knew them or if it was perhaps one of the troubled souls...; to say if they had any questions, just ask; yadda yadda. B) some of the people we did know did like some talk first, followed by letting them the hell alone. C) if they were quiet for a long time, we'd check again. Ask them about their reactions...

We got to know people. Some came in because they plain old enjoyed being there, and would never buy anything. In a way, they were staples of the system, they liked art for the pleasure. We saw them, said 'hi', and let them be. Sometimes they came over and talked at length with us.

Once in a while, people were tremendously snotty when we said hello. It was the 'hello, clerk, get out of my way' thing. Hey, we didn't have security cameras, we had ourselves.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:40 am
nice post osso.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:44 pm
nimh wrote:
happycat wrote:

Wow Shocked. That is just... evil.

happycat wrote:

Professionalism? For Chrissakes, you're talking about a grocery check-out girl, who was probably working for **** wages. She's not doing a Powerpoint presentation. I mean, if she'd cussed you out or something OK, but because she was grumbling to you about someone, you went and perhaps got her fired?!

My god.

She obviously was a silly goose to just yap at a random customer like that (about her boss, even) - but I'm sorry, you were an outright bitch.

Tough cookies. Maybe next time she starts a rant to a stranger about her boss, IN HER PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT, she'll stop and think twice. She was wrong and you, obviously, don't know **** from shinola. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:18:56