Snooty Macy's Saleswoman

mcho2k

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 11:20 pm
I've had a long day and I just want to vent. So I go to Macy's today to pick out a gift for someone. I'd just come from helping my dad at work (he's in the painting / construction business) and I admit I didn't look so great wearing my old jeans, a nice comfy fleece and paint chips all in my hair. Listen, I'm not one to waste my time or gas to get dolled up to go to the mall.

So moving on, I politely inquire to the saleslady about a certain fragrance, and she gives me that look of disdain that says "I don't think you can afford anything in here..." One look at me and she's already made up her mind that I was wasting her time. From then on she pretty much treated me like sh*t. I was too tired to be upset then, but after I made my purchase, came home, and made a reflection of my day after a hearty meal, yeah, I'm pretty peeved. Not enough to do anything about it after the fact, but enough to sit here and write about it.

I wonder how she can have the audacity to treat customers that way when she herself is probably within about the same economical bracket as I, working retail? Not saying that people with better finanical situations can treat others of lower social standings that way. I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah, you are probably the one that can't afford anything in here working minimum wage, and if so only because you probably get some employee discount." Heh, I guess I've stooped to her level with this assumption but it really gets under my skin the way these department store clerks think they're the bad sh*t, kissing ass all day to snobby folks.

I know to be rude back isn't any better, and I'm glad I didn't let her know I was bothered by her behaviour, but how should I have handled that situation that told her "Hey I don't appreciate your snobby attitude and I won't stand to be treated any other way than a regular human being?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,913 • Replies: 63
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 11:24 pm
I don't really care if people are rude to me at their jobs. I've had jobs I've hated, and I understand how they can happen.

Unless I figure they're just an asshole, but then I resent the whole asshole, not the lackey in the job.

Sounds like you've found yourself an asshole, there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:15 am
I had what I didn't know would be a formative experience, when I was about nineteen. I went with two girlfriends for one of them to get a coat for some even she had to go to. Ok, sure, and we'd go wherever for lunch..

We were all wearing shorts and tee shirts. It was Saks. We went up to the floor where they take out the clothes and present them to you.
Trust me, this was a whole new concept to me.
She bought a black poie de seau (however you spell that) coat.
We were all treated nicely.

Some time later, I was a lab tech at a clinical lab in that near neighborhood.
Once in a while, oh, say, every two months, I looked in the stores. Unfortunately, by then I was wearing the garish starched uniform provided by the lab. So wrong for Saks, you know, what with the pointy cuffs on the sleeves.
But, hey, I used the ladies room anyway.

Well, a lot of money is show, sometimes not solid, and even the real money can be ephemeral.
Just be yourself, as they say.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:28 am
patiodog wrote:
I don't really care if people are rude to me at their jobs. I've had jobs I've hated, and I understand how they can happen.

Ive been there too.
Have to say Id never on purposely be rude to a customer, but have to admit I dint make an attempt to grin like a cheshire cat while they asked me about the product Id never used and which had all the information written on it.
Said my pleases and thank you's.

Saying that I would be the one to pull away from a conversation with colleagues if customers were waiting, plus I helped a blind couple when my colleagues were clearly not keen on helping.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:43 am
Sometimes life gives you a payback. Last year when I was selling furniture for a short time a woman came in, a real "dolled up" but obviously white trashy redneck and when I greeted her at the door all chipper like and said "What brings you in today?" she looked at me through her KMart blue eye shadow and said "FURNITURE" like I was an idiot.

A couple weeks later I happened early morning to run up to Food Lion for creamer and there she was, doing some early morning grocery shopping.
I walked right up to her and said in a loud voice "hat brings you in here this morning, GROCERIES?"

The stupid bitch didn't even know what I was talking about but it put a smile on my face that I shared with squinney, and it lasted all day.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:56 am
Maybe you could say somethin like..."I'm sorry. you seem too busy to help me. Is there another person here who has time?" In a kind of whithering tone
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:30 am
Rather than even wasting your valuable time and breath to dealing with such a person, I would either ask her to get her manger to help you, seek out another sales person or go to another store. Once the attitude starts, say "I'm sorry I can see you are unable to help me, please get me your manger." Or, "I'm sorry I can see you are unable to help me, I find some one who can." Or, "I'm sorry I can see you are unable to help me, I go to ABC store where they are more helpful."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:36 am
Start HERE. Find the customer service number/address for your area. I'm thinking it's probably
MACY'S NORTHWEST
Third Avenue and Pine Street
Seattle, WA 98181
206-506-2121

Customer Service /
Credit Inquiries: 206-506-6000

Send them the description from above -- you've already written it, add a stamp and put your words to work for you. Phone also, let them know a letter is on the way.

Be that squeaky wheel.
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:04 am
Linkat / Plantress, those were really good replies to a situation like this. I will definately use them next time!! I feel kinda stupid not figuring this one out myself, but hey, that's what these forums can be for, right? As for writing a complaint letter over this, JPB, it's just not my style to stir up the waters. Maybe if it had been a real nasty offense, but I can be sensible enough to understand that she too might have had just a bad day. I wouldn't want her to get fired or anything over something like this. Thanks all for your inputs and suggestions, I really appreciate it! (And now that it's a brand new day, I'm over it. Smile )
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:25 am
Most places you can get discounts and freebees if a clerk is 'having a bad day' or is generally one to get a lot of complaints.

Ask for the head manager. No middle dudes, keep asking til you get the department or store manager.
Kindly explain the poor service you got. State what you'd like. Watch them bend over backwards for you.

At least the places worth your business will. And they will want to know if someone is genuinely out of line.

Stirring the waters? Nah. Stirring the waters would be throwing a real white trash act at her and playing up the role she was treating you in. *sucking saliva for a big loogie*
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:47 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Sometimes life gives you a payback. Last year when I was selling furniture for a short time a woman came in, a real "dolled up" but obviously white trashy redneck and when I greeted her at the door all chipper like and said "What brings you in today?" she looked at me through her KMart blue eye shadow and said "FURNITURE" like I was an idiot.

A couple weeks later I happened early morning to run up to Food Lion for creamer and there she was, doing some early morning grocery shopping.
I walked right up to her and said in a loud voice "hat brings you in here this morning, GROCERIES?"

The stupid bitch didn't even know what I was talking about but it put a smile on my face that I shared with squinney, and it lasted all day.

Serious question dude...what is supposed to be the acceptable answer to someone walking into a furniture store when they're asked what brought them in here today?

I've been asked that in furniture stores, and other places that sell basically one thing, like….furniture. To be honest, I had absolutely no good answer, and I'm thinking to myself "WTF does this guy think brought me in here today? I want to look at furniture for Christs sake." But I know that would sound bitchy. Isn't there a better question or phrase like "Hi I'm Ralph. Take a look around the store, and I'll be available to answer any questions you have."

My response to that would be, "Hey, thanks Ralph" and I would definitely remember him.

Also, saying that to her at the supermarket was sorta lame, really. She didn't know you from a cake of soap. If I was that woman, and let's say standing in line with you and you said that to me about the groceries, besides inching away and making sure my handbag was secure, I'd probably just say, "well…………yeah?"

As far as rude salespeople, I simply let them know that I'm going to spend my money somewhere else.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 12:08 pm
I would most likely have smiled at her, walked out of the store and into another store. Preferably one that is in her general view.
If I was in a bad mood, I might have gone back to the store, smiled again at her and said "I'm so glad you didn't have time for me here because I found this great sweater at (store name). Have a great day :-D".
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:38 pm
Montana wrote:
I would most likely have smiled at her, walked out of the store and into another store. Preferably one that is in her general view.
If I was in a bad mood, I might have gone back to the store, smiled again at her and said "I'm so glad you didn't have time for me here because I found this great sweater at (store name). Have a great day :-D".

Yeah the old "Pretty Lady" routine!

As far as the furniture store comment - perhaps what bi-polar was getting at is what sort of furniture so he could direct the customer.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:49 pm
You should see their eyes light up when your jean and T-clad self whips out your ostrich skin wallet.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:58 pm
Linkat wrote:

As far as the furniture store comment - perhaps what bi-polar was getting at is what sort of furniture so he could direct the customer.

Well, then why wouldn't the question then be "Is there any particular type of furniture you were wanting to be directed to"?

People aren't walking into a store waiting to see what confusing/snappy quip the salesman is going to come up with. As a matter of fact, it's one of the things I dread.

I bought a coffee table, end table and sideboard over memorial day, and the sales guy pretty much said the, "I'm Ralph....thing" and I asked for him after deciding. He was nearby, but not too nearby if you know what I mean.
I actually told him how much I had appreciated his not hanging around while I was wandering all over the store.

I still think the old "letting them know you're there and leaving them to their browsing" is better.
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:58 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You should see their eyes light up when your jean and T-clad self whips out your ostrich skin wallet.

Good one... Lol. Only, I don't have an ostrich skin wallet..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:02 pm
Chai wrote:
Linkat wrote:

Well, then why wouldn't the question then be "Is there any particular type of furniture you were wanting to be directed to"?

Probably because it should be obvious if one is shopping in a furniture, they are shopping for furniture - I think that is what bi-polar was getting at with his sarcasm.

Although I agree I don't like salespeople hanging over me, I do appreciate one that initially asks if I need help or similar (so I do not have to go searching or have to approach myself), but one that also respects my space when I say just looking.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:12 pm
...And of course, you never know what kind of stupid things management insists that the poor schmuck salesperson HAS to say or do. I worked in a clothing store, and the boss would always patrol the floor and glare at you if you WEREN'T hanging over any customers.

He just did not get that almost all customers seem to prefer the "Hi there, let me know if I can help you find anything," and then don't hover approach...and you were in trouble if you took that approach. He'd actually make you go ask people again if they needed help, even if you told him you'd already talked to them and they didn't want help-- and boy, do people hate that... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:26 pm
Linkat wrote:

Probably because it should be obvious if one is shopping in a furniture, they are shopping for furniture - I think that is what bi-polar was getting at with his sarcasm.

not to beat a dead horse, but if it's obvious one is walking into a furniture store to shop for furniture....why would you ask someone "What brings you in here today"?
If you ask an obvious question, you'll get an obvious answer.

If you obviously know I'm there for furniture, don't ask me what brought me here today..you already know.

Why not ask the real question, like Is there a particular type of furniture can I direct you too.? Or much better yet, let me know you're available, and scram.

Maybe it's just me, but when someone asks an obvious question like that, it's usually when I'm in the middle of thinking of something else. Then, when they ask it, it throws me off my train of thought because I'm suddenly trying to figure out if there's some inside meaning or code in there. Really. I mean, I seriously can't believe someone really wants an answer to a question like that, so I start wondering if there's something I'm missing between the lines.

Then, when I realize it WAS just a question that doesn't even deserve an answer, I realize I'm going to have to field more silly questions....which makes me want to turn around and leave the store.

It's not hard to make me a happy customer and take my money, just don't treat me like I'm dense.

Next time someone asks me what brought me somewhere, I'll lean in close and whisper "Code NR 42, sector 5.....ETA 1.37 minutes"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:38 pm
In order to beat a dead horse (as we are being obvious here)…People ask these sorts of questions usually to be nice and friendly, even if it is asking an obvious question. How often does one ask - How are you? When they really do not mean to ask how are you doing, but giving a greeting. In a restaurant when being greeted at the door by the host and s/he says would you like a seat, do you also respond, well hell, what else am I here for?
This is a similar situation - pretty much a polite greeting - probably to use different sorts of wording as the poor sales sap has to say the same sorts of comments throughout the day to potentially rude customers.

So to a polite short greeting, instead of simply saying politely in return, I'm just looking, you come back with a rude remark? No wonder people working with the public are sometimes grumpy and rude - how could you possibly blame them if they have to deal with such attitudes?

How can the poor sap know you are in the middle of thinking about something? Not everyone is so distracted when first entering a store. If you keep your response short and sweet, saying thanks, but I'm just looking or similar - I rarely have had to field a series of questions when I respond as such.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Snooty Macy's Saleswoman
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:11:00