figs and birds

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:44 pm
Some years ago, a coworker and I were each given potted fig trees by a resident at the apartments. I eventually got them both, and transplanted them in the back yard. Well, I put them so far back there, and they required so much water, I abandoned them after several months. I checked on them once every four or five months, out of curiosity. One fell over, and died. Well, last summer, I realized that the survivor had established deep roots and gotten pretty big. It was giving some great figs to the birds. Every time some began to become a bit soft and sweet, they ate them.

Does anybody know how to keep the birds away from the tree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 927 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:49 pm
You could try plastic bottles tied to the branches.
some people say put a little water in them so the dont get jammed in the branches.

Bird netting the whole tree is the only proven and guaranteed method.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:56 pm
You can get red mylar tape (sometimes called fire tape) that can be hung on the trees. It makes the tree appear to be on fire (if you're a bird) and we've had good success with it. Only the occassional catbird seems to brave it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 11:04 pm
Ficus are famous sidewalk tearers. Trust me on that. If no pavement nearby, good.

Ficus usually wins over land and sea and foam.

I've no idea re individual figs (ficus), say carica, and birds of your locality.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:19 am
From Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology:

Quote:
During fall and winter, the mockingbird diet consists primarily of wild fruit including holly, blackberry, pokeberry, sumac, poison ivy, Virginia creeper, and prickly pear. A propensity for devouring grapes and other cultivated fruit has at times earned it the enmity of growers. Throughout the year, but especially in the breeding season, insects and other arthropods are taken on the ground in areas of short grass, such as suburban lawns, or bare earth.

Google brought up this.
We have an abundance of mockingbirds, as my poor dog would attest (They swoop down on her during the season when their young are getting big enough to leave the nest).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:17 pm
The mylar tape sounds worth a try. I will get some Saturday. Thanks to all who responded.
0 Replies