CO2 Eruption could cause mass extinction

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:12 am
CO2 is stored in the mantle of the earth, down where most rock is a thick liquid. The gas isn't absorbed into the various rocks there, so there must be, scientists speculate, massive pockets of the gas which contain much more of the stuff than all of the CO2 above the ground (in soil, air, water, etc). Gas being what it is, can squeek through little cracks in the rocky crust and escape into the atmosphere. If enough gas escapes at once, a massive die-off could come about from asphixiation or from the ensuing green-house effect.

Earth fart could cause mass extinction
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,058 • Replies: 27
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:15 am
I just asphixiated some poor bastard in the john.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:22 am
Methane and Johnny Walker fumes aren't the same as CO2, cj...

I'll file this away in the "things that might kill me that I have no control over" file. (Fer instance, I'm far more likely to be killed by repeated viewings of Armageddon than by asteroid impact.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:23 am
hmmmm, so, not an earth fart?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:23 am
True but he's still dead.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:30 am
There was a book called _Mother of Storms_ by John Barnes (pretty good book), which speculated that something like this could happen due to Methane trapped in ocean sediments on the sea floor.

I guess we just have to add Earth Farts to the list of things that can give the planet a bad day; Asteroids, Comets, Supervolcano's, Pandemic Plagues, Nearby Gamma Ray Bursts, Methane and now CO2. It's no wonder there are so many mass extinctions, too many things can go wrong... with no place to hide Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
Just think - all those folks on or near O2 tanks would survive it initially. Doctors and patients. Until the food ran out. Good scifi story? Too limited?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:33 am
Stole my words, rosborne. I was just going to give Mother of Storms one of my highest reccomendations.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:35 am
There are lakes in Africa where poison gasses are periodically released leading to deaths. If I remember correctly something like this happened a few years ago, and a lot of people died.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:36 am
Hi Roger, Yeh, that book had a fairly simple premise, but it was exciting, and well written. I recommend it as well.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:37 am
Yep. And there are drifts of CO2 in the gulf of mexico waters, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:39 am
Apparently the lake incident I remember was from 1986 in Camaroon at Lake Nyos.

The article is here: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF10/1094.html

[ One day in August 1986, catastrophe struck a patch of countryside in the African nation of Cameroon. Suddenly, mysteriously, people and animals died. Whole villages expired; herds of cattle collapsed where they stood. Concerned and puzzled scientists flocked to the area while people mourned more than 1700 dead neighbors and kinfolk.

The researchers found a surprising culprit. The victims had suffocated in a cloud of poison gas: carbon dioxide. Its source was beautiful Lake Nyos, which filled the crater of a dormant volcano. Since then, Lake Nyos has become a very well-studied body of water. ]
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:45 am
Yep, and it'll probably happen again. Right now they've got pipes run down to the bottom of the lake to try and vent it, but the CO2 levels at the bottom are replenishing very rapidly anyway. (Fletcher's idea, I see from the article; anyway, it's not working.)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:45 am
CO2 in the Gulf of Mexico? Hmmm, I wonder if isolated Earth Farts could have anything to do with areas like the Bermuda Triangle. Maybe localized burps in calm air linger and kill crews which then set the ships adrift. Or if the burp was methane, and someone lit a cigarette, you could have a very big explosion. Hmmm. Smile

Best Regards,
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:58 am
Interesting thought. And since the gases are heavy they could just sit on top of the water and diffuse very slowly if the air was very still. Where is the Bermuda triangle in relation to the Sargasso Sea?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:00 am
Hi Patio, I think the Sargasso Sea follows the gulf stream and borders the Triangle.

Oops... it looks like they basically overlap each other: http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/500_Leagues_of_Sea/Sargasso_Sea/sargasso_sea.html

Why do you ask? Is Sargassum associated with gas eruptions of some type?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:06 am
Nah, just thinking about it because I knew it was very, very still and somewhere near the triangle.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:59 am
littlek wrote:
Yep. And there are drifts of CO2 in the gulf of mexico waters, if I remember correctly.

Is it possible that you confused CO2 with clots of solid methane, propane, and butan? This is what has also been discovered on the ground of the North Sea if I remember correctly. Methane, propane and buthan are greenhouse gas just like CO2, and I think they are much more plausible candidates. CO2 is still going to be gaseous under the temperatures and pressures that are present on the ground of the Gulf of Mexico, so I can't see why it would stay down there.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 07:09 am
bookmarking
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:26 am
I'll give you something to bookmark for the rest of the century: Global warming feedback mechanisms
0 Replies